Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2017, 12:10 PM   #1

Fridge has gas flame that pops up top

I could use some help here. I am de-winterizing my trailer and want to make sure that all systems are working. I tried the 122 fridge on 110 while plugged in with no problem. I then tried it on gas, which is how I mostly run the fridge. It seems to light just fine, but when I came back an hour later, the fridge was not cold and the fins inside the fridge were at room temp. Normally an hour would be enough for them to get frosty cold.

On further inspection I saw that the flame had gone out. This is where it gets interesting. While trying to relight the gas flame I kept hearing a distinctive sound of gas in igniting. The gas was actually exploding out he top of the chimney with a flame. It would appear that the gas and spark are getting to the fridge, but instead of the flame lighting inside the little inspection hole, the gas accumulates and ignites in the chimney, blowing out the top of the chamber. This is exciting, and no doubt would look cool at night, but would not make the fridge function.

any ideas about why this might be happening? It is puzzling that it worked for a couple of minutes to begin with, but now does not. Might this be a thermocouple or plugged gas line? A thermocouple does not seem likely to me, since the problem is that the gas does not even light in the correct spot, but rather collects and explodes. The stove works just fine.

I am headed out for the first time on memorial day and would like to get this resolved before then. Any help is appreciated.
Tony
Tony w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 12:21 PM   #2

sounds to me like you have something like a spider web blocking the air flow to the gas nozzle. Take some low pressure and blow that area out and see if that doesn't correct the problem. Let the forum know what you find
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 12:37 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to B and B
X2 Spider web or a ant maybe.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:15 AM   #4

Use a nail and poke through the the vevturi nozzle. I bet a spider blocked it up. Check u tube for videos.
steve02bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
sounds to me like you have something like a spider web blocking the air flow to the gas nozzle. Take some low pressure and blow that area out and see if that doesn't correct the problem. Let the forum know what you find
X3, spider, stink bug ect. Blow out the air tube. (do it every year, make sure the flame is blue and not yellow indicating continued blockage)
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:15 PM   #6

Did the fridge work fine previously at the same altitude? If yes, it's probably a spider web. I had that in our old PUP. If no, and you are at altitude, read on.

At first I struggled to get our fridge lit on propane when I was above 5,000ft with the same symptoms you are having. One of the forum members here told me to hit the spark generator button immediately (again) after the flame blows itself out with the "poof". That almost always works for me.

The jet is not set up for high altitude, so it does not start easily when you are high up.

just my experiences
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:08 PM   #7

The "pop explosion" with flame going out the top of the vent is an indication that the propane isn't entering the mixing tube between the nozzle and the burner. There are two causes of this:
1. A blockage in the tube, usually a spider or other insect.
2. Attempting to run the fridge at an altitude above its design specification.

As already pointed out, the "fix" for the first is to blowout the tube with air. Alternatives are to use a long pipe cleaner or even a piece of wire but you'll need to be careful not to damage the burner grille with these. The altitude problem is more difficult to solve.

My Dometic fridge has a 1" gap between the propane nozzle and the open end of the mixing pipe. At high altitudes, there isn't enough air pressure to confine the propane to a stream narrow enough to have it enter the burner tube so it enters the bottom of the chimney around the burner tube instead of inside it. When the concentration of propane gets high enough, the spark igniter lights it and you get the "pop" sound. The "burner lit" safety then shuts off the propane because the burner isn't lit. My fix for the altitude problem for the fridge was a modified version of the burner assembly on my propane grill.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:33 AM   #8

venturi nozzle

I have not had a chance to blow out the area yet. A couple people have mentioned fixing the venturi nozzle. Can you tell me how to get to that and where it is?

also- the fridge has worked just fine on gas for years at the current altitude.

thanks,
Tony
Old 05-11-2017, 10:26 AM   #9
Site Team

Here's a YouTube video on how to clean the burner tube. It will at least give you and idea of where the tube is located. Most of the time just blowing it out is enough.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:04 AM   #10

As a follow-up, I got the problem fixed. Blowing the general area did not work, so I had to remove a few things until I could blow out the manifold directly. When I did, a little piece of something flew out. I never got a look at it. After that, no problem lighting. Thanks to everyone for your advice. Fridge working well and ready for memorial day fun.

Tony
Old 05-23-2017, 07:03 AM   #11

Refrigerator Flame

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...up-119763.html
2014 Tacoma Double Cab
My YouTube Channel
Days Camped 2016/2017/2018/2019: 98/106/109/73
MinneweeseMI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, gas