Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2018, 07:57 PM   #1

Furnace love

My wife and I and our two dogs just spent a week at our property in New Mexico and love our camper and it’s furnace even more.
I had no idea how to make the furnace work so the first night we used the oven to keep the chill off. Second day I put on my glasses and it took all of two minutes to figure it out. I had to find the breaker to turn off the a/c which came on once the temp got to about 68°.
We ran our 2800 watt Honda to be sure the battery didn’t die during the very cold(9°)night.
I could shut off the generator during the day since I have a great solar panel(Renogy) which keeps up with the draw during the day.
The roof wouldn’t go up at first as the motor was frozen and even once it was thawed I had to use a 2x4 to lift one half of the roof as it had quite a bit of ice one it and probably was too heavy for the little motor. Once up and locked it was same as always.
We were quite impressed that the snow that fell on the roof didn’t melt during the night showing how well insulated the roof panels are.
We drained the water last fall so had to used jugged water for a week. Our daughters farm is only 12miles away for shower trips. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0480.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	293.1 KB
ID:	193020
We decided to leave the roof up until our next trip up to allow the snow to slip or melt off and not accumulate on the flat area of the retracted roof. Our neighbors keep an eye on our place when we are not there which is quite calming.

We are very happy with our aframe and how well it works even in some pretty rugged conditions.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:00 PM   #2
OYO

Wow, that's cool and I'm jealous.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:18 PM   #3

How cold did it get at night? Outside I mean.
The Tipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:13 PM   #4

It got down to 9° one night. It didn’t get above 45° all week. Most of the other nights were all in the 25° to 30°. We got about 3” snow one night. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0479.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	193025
Old 12-14-2018, 12:28 AM   #5

A couple of things:
1) Don't use the oven for heating as it produces CO, carbon monoxide.
2) You should not have to throw an electrical breaker to turn off the AC blower and run the furnace. The thermostat has selections for Auto fan mode and heat.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:40 AM   #6
Trailer Park Supervisor

Glad you figured it out, can't believe you ventured out into the freezing weather without so much as giving the furnace a test run though! I think my wife would never come out with me again if I did that!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alben View Post
A couple of things:
1) Don't use the oven for heating as it produces CO, carbon monoxide.
2) You should not have to throw an electrical breaker to turn off the AC blower and run the furnace. The thermostat has selections for Auto fan mode and heat.
Alben is right, it sounds like you have the fan setting on the thermostat set to either high or low. It should be set to auto if you do not want the A/C fan to blow while the heater is running. It is designed that way.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace