Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2023, 02:32 PM   #1

Question Gas Alarm When Using Water Heater

Having a problem with my propane water heater triggering CO/Propane alarm on my 2-year-old Flagstaff T12RB A-Frame popup. It seems to happen primarily in windy conditions when a gust will come in through the exterior exhaust vent of the water heater and extinguish the flame. This, in turn, automatically restarts the ignition sequence. Suburban, in their documentation for this model (SW6D), does state that the system undergoes a "purge" at the start of each ignition cycle, and this probably explains the detectable gassy odor (and therefore the alarm) after a few off-on cycles. (I was able to replicate the problem by directing a fan at the outside vent and shutting all doors and windows inside the camper.) So, I'm considering building a sheet metal wind deflector to mount around the exterior vent. But I'm not quite sure how the "purged" gas is getting into the camper in the first place. Is this to be expected after several ignition cycles? Should the flame be so easily extinguished in windy conditions? Has anybody else had experience with this problem? Ideas / suggestions from the community would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks!
sbjenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 10:18 AM   #2

Haven’t experienced that on our T12RB and have been in some really windy conditions.

As far as a wind shield, we did have issues with the standing pilot blowing out on a previous trailer. I purchased an RV wind shield and added magnets so I could stick it on the water heater access door when conditions required it. Worked quite well.
Old 05-30-2023, 10:25 AM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaGlenn View Post
Haven’t experienced that on our T12RB and have been in some really windy conditions.

As far as a wind shield, we did have issues with the standing pilot blowing out on a previous trailer. I purchased an RV wind shield and added magnets so I could stick it on the water heater access door when conditions required it. Worked quite well.
Not sure what an RV wind shield looks like. Got any photos?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 02:02 PM   #4

PapaGlenn - can you send a link to the wind shield product you have, pls?
Old 05-30-2023, 03:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbjenni View Post
PapaGlenn - can you send a link to the wind shield product you have, pls?
I can’t find it online but I’ll look and see if I still have it or can find a picture.

EDIT: must have left it in my last RV when I sold it. It was basically a rectangular piece of sheet metal. From the side, it looked like this (ignore the it that sticks up past the top):

__|—————-|__

Overall finished size was slightly smaller than the water heater door. It was installed to the door with screws through the bottom of the “L” and through 1” spacers so the wide flat part sat about 2” away from the door. I put magnets on the end of the spacers so I could use it only when needed. I’ll see if I can find a pic of it installed.
Old 06-02-2023, 04:05 PM   #6

Helpful, thanks! In somewhat similar fashion I ended up bending a piece of sheet metal into a flat U shape and attaching it to the exterior flange of the water heater compartment with sheet metal screws. It's like a 14"wide x 8"tall x 2"deep chimney that's open at top and bottom. I can still access the panel to remove the hatch, extract the anode, press the reset buttons or trigger the pressure relief valve - all without removing my new wind deflector. Now, if it just blocks the wind and keeps the burners lit I'll be a happy camper.
Old 06-02-2023, 04:17 PM   #7

Here's a photo:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/PhotoPost/showphoto.php?photo=5759[/IMG]
Old 06-02-2023, 05:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Helpful, thanks! In somewhat similar fashion I ended up bending a piece of sheet metal into a flat U shape and attaching it to the exterior flange of the water heater compartment with sheet metal screws. It's like a 14"wide x 8"tall x 2"deep chimney that's open at top and bottom. I can still access the panel to remove the hatch, extract the anode, press the reset buttons or trigger the pressure relief valve - all without removing my new wind deflector. Now, if it just blocks the wind and keeps the burners lit I'll be a happy camper.
Sounds like a good solution. I saw pictures of something similar when I was looking for pictures of the one we had. Also, you also need a “[IMG]” in front of the URL for the picture you linked for it to work.
Old 06-02-2023, 08:57 PM   #9

Ahh, yup, missed that one:

Old 06-03-2023, 12:37 PM   #10

The shield/wind blocker looks like an easy yet functional addition.
I'm keeping this in mind for the future. There's been no false CO or propane alarms here yet . . . Doesn't mean that it won't happen in the future tho. . .
Thanks for posting!!

Cheers and greetings from a Toronto Canuck
Brandoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 04:47 PM   #11

We had LP alarms in our Mini-Lite under windy conditions in CO last year. I tried to build a temporary wind screen with aluminum foil without much success.

Related to that, I replaced the CO/LP alarm with an LP alarm and added a CO alarm on the ceiling. It wasn't defective but it was maddening trying to figure out what caused the alarm. Labels on the trouble lights are tiny and located at floor level. DW and I have old eyes and old knees, so that doesn't work. Now, one of them alarms, we know what they problem is.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 05:38 PM   #12

I'd been considering separate alarms for carbon monoxide and propane, and I may try this next. I agree that having both features in the same device (especially when it's screaming at you from under the table) is ugly. But we're about to take the rig on the road for a week, so we'll see first if my new wind deflector makes a difference.
Thanks!
Old 06-10-2023, 07:32 AM   #13

Exclamation

Quote:
Here's a photo:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/PhotoPost/showphoto.php?photo=5759[/IMG]
Not only are you missing the [ IMG ] tag, but it looks like it's the wrong picture also...
(before) 2003 Coleman Santa Fe
campingChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 11:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingChris View Post
Not only are you missing the [ IMG ] tag, but it looks like it's the wrong picture also...
The pic that is linked shows a wind guard very similar to the one I purchased years ago. Should do the job.
Old 06-10-2023, 12:16 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaGlenn View Post
The pic that is linked shows a wind guard very similar to the one I purchased years ago. Should do the job.

Yes… here’s the pic:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0452.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	288443

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, heater, water, water heater