Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2013, 10:12 PM   #21

We are picking up a T12RBST ( Has the storage bin on the front ) this Tuesday. There is not a lot of storage in the A frame. So the floor will be used to move stuff to and from camp site. Our thinking is what are we going to to with all that stuff when we get to the CG and that is put in the front storage bin when the tongue weight is not importance.

You said "This means that only 89 pounds can be added to make 350 pounds."
1 lb in the storage bin is not 1 lb of tongue weight, I am guessing it is .5 to .75 lb, so 89 more lb in tongue weight would be like 118 to 178 lb in the bin.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #22

I have the toyhauler model & the deck can carry 650 lbs. Tongue weight is 349 unloaded.

I love it! It fits us with its functional deck, allowing us to carry equipment and generator, bikes or whatever. Would your ATV actually fit the toy deck? Most of the 4wheelers Ive liked are too large for the deck, at least on paper. I originally looked at the storage box model and was certain that would be the one....but then I saw the toy deck & (for me) there was no looking back. Since I carry heavy equipment (wire dog crates, mats, dog soiled bedding, the open deck was jist what was needed. Nice to be able to toss a wet canopy or other muddy smelly things and go. Ive left many times in the rain & so glad I didnt have to put inside the trailer or truck.

Now they have the toy deck with a rear bed as well however, I prefer the sofa bed option as it gives more space for relaxing. I think you'll have to really evaluate what your most important needs are with wanting an A-frame camper & then go see them in person and sit in the models you are considering without a salesman present. Tell the salesman hes too distracting and this way you can hear yourself inside each one.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:17 AM   #23

Now I am leaning towards this one.

When I make my final pick it will be fast and quick so I can't change my mind anymore.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	storage bin .jpg
Views:	85
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	38043  
gt40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:34 AM   #24
TeresaInCAL

Just a thought here...cant you put the ATV in the truck bed, then just pull whatever A-frame you want? They're pretty light.
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:35 AM   #25
TeresaInCAL

Btw, I really like the first one you showed with the deck. I'm sure there will be plenty of things you can store there other than the ATV.
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:33 AM   #26
Retread Popup Owner

Also keep in mind, for everything you place in the storage areas behind the axle, you decrease the weight of the tongue by some amount. It's all about balancing your load to get the optimum setup. For example, slide an EZ Up style awning inside the camper with most of it behind the axle. That one 80# item can tip the fulcrum a bit.

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:38 AM   #27
Retread Popup Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
I have the toyhauler model & the deck can carry 650 lbs. Tongue weight is 349 unloaded.

I love it! It fits us with its functional deck, allowing us to carry equipment and generator, bikes or whatever. Would your ATV actually fit the toy deck? Most of the 4wheelers Ive liked are too large for the deck, at least on paper. I originally looked at the storage box model and was certain that would be the one....but then I saw the toy deck & (for me) there was no looking back. Since I carry heavy equipment (wire dog crates, mats, dog soiled bedding, the open deck was jist what was needed. Nice to be able to toss a wet canopy or other muddy smelly things and go. Ive left many times in the rain & so glad I didnt have to put inside the trailer or truck.

Now they have the toy deck with a rear bed as well however, I prefer the sofa bed option as it gives more space for relaxing. I think you'll have to really evaluate what your most important needs are with wanting an A-frame camper & then go see them in person and sit in the models you are considering without a salesman present. Tell the salesman hes too distracting and this way you can hear yourself inside each one.
That front deck really is perfect for how you use the camper, isn't it?

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:49 AM   #28

Yes - its a great trailer to hit the dogshows with! We used to have a 34' motorhome that we traveled to shows with throughout S. Cal and Mexico. It was great but limiting (and expensive with gas cost). DH had work commitments and I lost my driver & began hoteling it but the expense and the work involved in shlepping several 40lb crates in and out of hotel rooms back and forth to the show grounds loading and unloading them and a two to three 100+ lb dogs is exhausting mentally and physically. Its so much nicer (easier) staying on the grounds. We sold the MH about 12 yrs later & eventually got a smallish travel trailer that I felt confident to pull. I kept it for 6 yrs and realized I never had a true comfort zone towing it & had to be extremely careful in loading the interior with equipment. I decided to sell it and DH said to look at hardsided pop up. When I disxovered that deck model, I was sold!! We also go gemming and digging, so the deck is great for carrying buckets and tools and such & the dogs travel in their crates in back of truck.

It really is all about how one uses for their interests. Its not surpriaing when I am at the shows, to give tours to other people (esp the lone exhibitor like me). Its a utilitarian rig with comfort needs while on the show circuit and its a fun camping rig when relaxing at the lake.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:12 AM   #29

Depending on what you need to travel with... We are able to camp comfortably without bringing the while garage with us, neither the front storage model or the toy haul or cargo models were available the first year of the a frames but over several trips we've been able to work out what we need for a typical trip, we leave the camper loaded and ready to go throughout the season and even have storage under the sink available if needed, we have no lack of storage and ended up getting rid of a lot of the dead weight, stuff we thought we needed, and had to carry, but in the end never really used or needed after all.

This simplifies our camping experience as well, because we are not always taking all these things that just take up space and that we are always working around to get what we actually need. Lots of pots and pans is a good example, we have enough cooking stuff to stock a modern residential home and we really only used a few pieces over and over and ignored the rest.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #30

We have the camper with the small storage rack on the front. It is great for the bicycles and the lawn chairs. We pull ours with a Ranger without any problems. We are very pleased with our choice.
Janet624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #31

Our biggest concerns when we were shopping was 1) full bath as we are seniors 2) total trailer weight, loaded, as our TV is a Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Team The storage issue shouldn't be as big an issue for you with the truck bed available for that. Unless, of course, the kitchen sink must go also. Chain generators when using same set inside when gone if they are small, like 2 Honda 2000s like ours. We use two parallel when using AC but only one if not. Good luck hunting!
trailgranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:41 PM   #32

GEE, I just thought of another question. What if I removed both propane tanks then stored one in the back of the p.u. and left the other one home. Then I would save a lot of tongue weight. I use plastic milk crates that hold 4 gallon plastid jugs in to transport my empty home propane bottle (fits perfect) to trade in for full ones.

How long do the tanks last? The one we use for our gas grill at home lasts all summer and we cook on it at least 4 times a week. I'm trying to figure out if I can get the toy hauler and put my ATV on it. I am also probably going to use the microwave a lot more than the gas stove or outside grill.

What do ya think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	milk crate .jpg
Views:	262
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	38060  
gt40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

A tank of propane will last a long long time especially in the summer. It really depends on your camping and time of year.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #34

The item using the most propane would be the furnace, it uses a lot. If you use generators or shore power a little ceramic heater works great, and if your Cool Cat has heat pump feature out can take the chill off too. You could always weigh 4x4 and add that to tounge weight of trailer. Plus any heavy stuff in camper loaded too the back. Check that against the gross combined vehicle weight limit for your truck. We always like to be a couple thousand under that, just to be conservative. Do your homework before spending on the wrong unit. Time saves money in this case!
trailgranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt40 View Post
Maximum hitch weight is 350 lbs
Quote:
My Tacoma can pull 6,400 lbs.
These statements don't add up to me. Vehicles hitch rating is almost always 10% of the max tow rating. A 6400 lbs trailer with a 350 lbs tongue weight would be unsafe to tow so those numbers are not right.

Separately, the A122S has a sticker stating the weight limit for the front trunk is 150 lbs. Keep that in mind, for what it is worth when thinking about storing your gen set in there. The trunk latches would not stop someone with a pry bar from ripping the locking latch off.

I have no suggestion for you. Only you can determine which trailer has the best set of feature tradeoff for your needs and the potential danger to your property based on where you camp.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:32 PM   #36
phat phrog stunt crew

2007 Fleetwood Scorpion S1 Pop Up Camper Toy Hauler in RVs & Campers | eBay Motors

what about one of these? not sure they make them anymore, but it could be an option.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
2007 Fleetwood Scorpion S1 Pop Up Camper Toy Hauler in RVs & Campers | eBay Motors

what about one of these? not sure they make them anymore, but it could be an option.
Aliner bought some of the old Fleetwood designs and tooling. They are now called Somerset Camping Trailers. They make 2 of the evolution models.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #38
phat phrog stunt crew

thanks. i wasnt aware. i think somebody else makes a sililar trailer to these, but i cant place the name. alumasilver maybe?
Old 08-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #39
phat phrog stunt crew

here is what i was thinking og....

QuickSilver 18SUT Automotive Tent Camper Overview | Livin' Lite RV
Old 08-18-2013, 07:37 PM   #40

Quote:
GEE, I just thought of another question. What if I removed both propane tanks then stored one in the back of the p.u. and left the other one home. Then I would save a lot of tongue weight. I use plastic milk crates that hold 4 gallon plastid jugs in to transport my empty home propane bottle (fits perfect) to trade in for full ones.

How long do the tanks last? The one we use for our gas grill at home lasts all summer and we cook on it at least 4 times a week. I'm trying to figure out if I can get the toy hauler and put my ATV on it. I am also probably going to use the microwave a lot more than the gas stove or outside grill.

What do ya think?
I've had my A126 since sept. 2011. The driver side tank still has gas. Never touched the passenger side tank. I've even borrowed the driver side tank a few times when the grill at home ran out of propane.

I have only used the furnace a time or two. My gas usage centers around water heater, cooking and one trip a year for the fridge for a couple days.

So, the gas will last a long time if you don't use the furnace much.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote