Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2021, 01:35 PM   #1

Generator and gas can storage in A128S

First post!

I have an A128S and we recently picked up a generator to help cool the camper for naptime. We tow with an SUV though and don't have a simple solution to the gas fumes problem. The generator is too big to lift into the storage bin at the front of the camper so it'll have to go into the camper itself - is there anything inherently wrong with that so long as we adequately air it out after setting up? And what about stashing gas cans in the storage bin? Anyone have a better solution?

Thanks!
someaframeowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:41 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by someaframeowner View Post
First post!

I have an A128S and we recently picked up a generator to help cool the camper for naptime. We tow with an SUV though and don't have a simple solution to the gas fumes problem. The generator is too big to lift into the storage bin at the front of the camper so it'll have to go into the camper itself - is there anything inherently wrong with that so long as we adequately air it out after setting up? And what about stashing gas cans in the storage bin? Anyone have a better solution?

Thanks!
A propane fueled generator perhaps?

I'm guessing the A128S is a A-Frame trailer?
Any room on your front frame for a generator mount?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:48 PM   #3

No, sticking with gasoline. Going with an inverter generator with dual fuel that can run the AC basically doubles the price of the generator. Here's a picture, with the storage bin at the front:

Old 07-19-2021, 01:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by someaframeowner View Post
First post!

Thanks!
Curious, how big or heavy is this generator? If its too big to go into front storage because of weight. I would think it is too heavy to lug up the stairs of the trailer.

Lippert sells several types of "racks" for the back of trailers. Just check weight limits. They hang off the back of the frame and the bumper.

Our trailer came with a "monster rack". The $465.95 Model. It and the bumper has held up well for 1 1/2 years, so far. I just took it off and apart to check for damage or wear on the bumper and frame. Nothing, all looks good.

Good Luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tailgate storage.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	259387  
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
Curious, how big or heavy is this generator? If its too big to go into front storage because of weight. I would think it is too heavy to lug up the stairs of the trailer.

Lippert sells several types of "racks" for the back of trailers. Just check weight limits. They hang off the back of the frame and the bumper.

Our trailer came with a "monster rack". The $465.95 Model. It and the bumper has held up well for 1 1/2 years, so far. I just took it off and apart to check for damage or wear on the bumper and frame. Nothing, all looks good.

Good Luck!
Ohhh I missed that. A-Frame. Hmmm. Maybe not, sorry.
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 02:38 PM   #6

We carry our generator and gas can in our TV. Never had any fume issues. Close the gas can up tight and close the vent on the generator.
PapaGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 02:41 PM   #7

most modern gasoline engines are pretty tight as far as gas fumes goes... and for that matter, only put in enough gas in the tank to run it dry each time it is used, so that there is no gas in the tank or carb when in storage

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 02:45 PM   #8

Awesome, great stuff, thanks!
Old 07-19-2021, 03:22 PM   #9

This is a great gas can. I have gone through many other types.
https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 07-21-2021, 08:31 PM   #10

If you have a spare mounted on the back of your SUV as on my Jeep Liberty, you can add a truck step (AutoZone) and bungee a gas can to that. The step is rough, so I put padding under the gas can.
Old 07-21-2021, 09:04 PM   #11
OYO

We have a Honda EU2200I and tow with a pickup truck with a solid cover on the bed.

I usually fill the generator before heading out and carry an empty gas container. The generator will run 6-8 hours or so on a tank. Depending on fuel availability I'll fill the empty container at the last available source on our way into the campground or just do it as needed if it's readily available.

We've never had a hint of gas fumes towing with gas in the generator.

Auxiliary cans not so.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 09:49 PM   #12
Brake is on left

You might look at having a front hitch installed on your SUV. Then use one of those cargo trays to mount the genny and fuel can.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:05 PM   #13

I took my 214HW to an Amish welder and he welded a 2” receiver on the rear do I can carry 2 Honda 2200s and 2 gas cans. It also takes some weight off the hitch. If I’m going to travel below 5000 feet I carry only 1 generator.
Roy
2019 214 HW
2011 Toyota Highlander
2011 Toyota Highlander
Gramps42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a128, a128s, gas, generator, storage