Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2018, 12:10 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Wow, that ezstart is almost $300. I'm sure it is a wise purchase for many but for me, I rather have used that money for a higher capacity generator. Generators are like tow vehicles in my book, you cannot not have enough capacity and you will often need more capacity as you upgrade your Rv's in the future.
I have a 45 pound Yamaha EF2000I a 95 pound Champion 3500-watt inverters/generators. The Champion powers the Cool Cat with no issues, but I rather carry the 45 pound Yamaha. I have a small Chevy Colorado truck and the less weight, the better. I would have to buy ramps to be able to load the Champion on my truck, the Yamaha is just a piece of cake. For those reasons, I decided that the MicroAir and my back were worth the $300. I can always move the MicroAir to my next RV.
carloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:38 PM   #22

BTW, there are various discount codes available for the EasyStart. I found this one “AIRSTREAM” will get you $40 discount. I would rather only lift a 47 lb generator any day vs something twice that weight or more.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:37 PM   #23
OEM Electronics Mfg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alben View Post
BTW, there are various discount codes available for the EasyStart. I found this one “AIRSTREAM” will get you $40 discount. I would rather only lift a 47 lb generator any day vs something twice that weight or more.
Thank you, Alben, for listing the code, and for your earlier posts. I'm monitoring this thread now. Believe it or not, since May 4th, 2017, there has been a discount code "FORESTRIVER" set up in our website system, alongside the one you mentioned. The FORESTRIVER discount code is also $40. Feel free to use either, but I think everyone here would rather use the more appropriate one for their brand.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:43 PM   #24

I have seen 2k watt inverter generator. I was testing it out today. If I turn on the AC when all the breakers are on, it goes into overload mode on the generator. I turned off all breakers except the cool cat and it fired up just fine. I can then turn the other ones on after startup. The 12v system still works with the converter breaker off.
cpttimerstraint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:06 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttimerstraint View Post
I have seen 2k watt inverter generator. I was testing it out today. If I turn on the AC when all the breakers are on, it goes into overload mode on the generator. I turned off all breakers except the cool cat and it fired up just fine. I can then turn the other ones on after startup. The 12v system still works with the converter breaker off.
What generator do you have? They aren’t all created equal.
Freerdr17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:21 AM   #26
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Yes the 12v system will work with the converter breaker off, as at that point, you are simply drawing 12v from the battery.

Just remember, the converter won't be 'charging' the battery (something it does besides providing 12v when on) so you'll need to watch your 12v consumption.

Also remember, when you turn on the other breakers after the A/C has started, you will need to be very careful if/when the A/C compressor cycles.
Once it cycles off and then needs to kick back on and you have all the other breakers on too, it will likely go into overload.

It is kind of fruitless to buy a generator that won't run your A/C and charge the battery at the same time.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:22 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerdr17 View Post
What generator do you have? They aren’t all created equal.
Auto correct have me seen instead of wen. I really like the generator. Got it on a woot deal for $400.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SMNLF4M...a-273852871130
Old 06-07-2018, 08:34 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Yes the 12v system will work with the converter breaker off, as at that point, you are simply drawing 12v from the battery.

Just remember, the converter won't be 'charging' the battery (something it does besides providing 12v when on) so you'll need to watch your 12v consumption.

Also remember, when you turn on the other breakers after the A/C has started, you will need to be very careful if/when the A/C compressor cycles.
Once it cycles off and then needs to kick back on and you have all the other breakers on too, it will likely go into overload.

It is kind of fruitless to buy a generator that won't run your A/C and charge the battery at the same time.
My primary concern when buying the generator was not charging the battery, but running the AC when we are boondocking. We use little power when camping and only stay in one place for Max of 3 nights. Much prefer the 50 lbs of my generator to the 100 lbs of a 3k watt when I am only going to use it occasionally.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:09 AM   #29

I have 2 brand new 2000 watt predictors sell you them for 800.00 plus the 30 amp combined, only ran 8 hrs to break in. They are both inverters, the weight is 46 lbs each.
Quote:
My primary concern when buying the generator was not charging the battery, but running the AC when we are boondocking. We use little power when camping and only stay in one place for Max of 3 nights. Much prefer the 50 lbs of my generator to the 100 lbs of a 3k watt when I am only going to use it occasionally.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 03:08 PM   #30

Looks like I will be ordering one of the “soft start” kits soon. I tested my Cool Cat today with my 5 year old Yamaha EF2000is and it would not power it up. I tried Eco mode on and off, and with the converter on and off with no luck. I live at sea level and it was almost 95 degrees outside.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:23 PM   #31

I think the later A-frames (mine is a 2014) have bigger Cool Cats than earlier models, and take more power to run. The Cool Cat in my 2014 A122 will run quite happily on a 15 amp circuit at both campgrounds and at home. And this is at 5K to 8K feet.

Fred W
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:50 PM   #32

I purchased a Predator 2000 last year. We have yet to boondock. But I got it just in case we did, and also just in case we lost power at the house. I thought we could sleep in the pop-up with the generator running the A/C.
Today was the first time that I set up my 2012 A122 at the house to test to see if the A/C would work on the generator.
I turned off the fridge. I then plugged in. Turned the A/C fan on first. No problem. Then turned on the compressor. Lo and behold, it worked. Let it run for awhile. Then turned on all the lights, and the vent fan. No problem.
I was very pleased. I have no idea how long the Predator gas tank would last. But it's good to know that it worked.
The Tipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:24 PM   #33

Yes, it is nice to have these portable generators also for the home in case of an extended power outage. Glad the 2,000 watt generator works for most people. From what I have been reading, an extended test is needed to tell if a particular 2,000 watt generator will work reliably. 1) Must test on a hot day. Refrigerant pressures inside the AC increase. 2) Must test where compressor is required to run, stop, and restart. Some people report that AC will not start on successive restarts. 3) Battery on tongue to be discharged 20-50%. The converter recharging the battery along with the AC can push the power requirement just over the amount that the generator can provide. The converter could be turned off if absolutely necessary.
Alben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:46 AM   #34

Quote:
Yes, it is nice to have these portable generators also for the home in case of an extended power outage. Glad the 2,000 watt generator works for most people. From what I have been reading, an extended test is needed to tell if a particular 2,000 watt generator will work reliably. 1) Must test on a hot day. Refrigerant pressures inside the AC increase. 2) Must test where compressor is required to run, stop, and restart. Some people report that AC will not start on successive restarts. 3) Battery on tongue to be discharged 20-50%. The converter recharging the battery along with the AC can push the power requirement just over the amount that the generator can provide. The converter could be turned off if absolutely necessary.
These predator generators are good I bought two with the pairing kit, never had a problem when testing, the gas tank lasted about 6 hrs. That's all the hours I have on them, right after I bought a motor home and I don't need them anymore, anyone interested I'll sell them for 750.00 and can delve. Them to Goshen. But they work excellent and pretty quite.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:53 AM   #35

Quote:
From what I have been reading, an extended test is needed....
There is a notable drop in engine power in high altitudes, so add elevation to the list of factors to see if the generator will work for the long term.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:03 AM   #36

And don't forget to exercise (run under a load) your generator about once a month for a half hour or so.
MontyPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:08 PM   #37
World Traveler Member

My 2014 cool cat runs great on any home 15 amps circuit, but I have tried to run it on my 2000 watt Yamaha generator that is rated at about 13.2 amps and its a no go just get the overload light.

So, my solutions is a second 2k generator and run them in parallel and all is good. I did not want a bigger heavy Gen as I only really need 1 most of the time and it is easier to move them around and when I run my CoolCat they run quietly since I am not running them full out. And the best part is two Yamaha's are the same price as the Honda and noise level about the same.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:10 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdiver View Post
My 2014 cool cat runs great on any home 15 amps circuit, but I have tried to run it on my 2000 watt Yamaha generator that is rated at about 13.2 amps and its a no go just get the overload light.

So, my solutions is a second 2k generator and run them in parallel and all is good. I did not want a bigger heavy Gen as I only really need 1 most of the time and it is easier to move them around and when I run my CoolCat they run quietly since I am not running them full out. And the best part is two Yamaha's are the same price as the Honda and noise level about the same.
A Micro-Air EasyStart could have probably solved the compressor startup overload problem you had. Then a 2nd generator would not be necessary.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:21 PM   #39

I love the idea of the Micro-Air, just hoping the price will come down a bit. I hate to buy it and have it not work, although I could use the 6 ton unit on my Central Air at home.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:54 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
I love the idea of the Micro-Air, just hoping the price will come down a bit. I hate to buy it and have it not work.
Currently with the FORESTRIVER discount code, it's $259. Certainly cheaper then a second genset (and far lighter). I'm gonna take the chance I think, with the many reports of it working on cool cats.
rvsixer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, generator