Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
Mostly Harmless

I'm plodding along on the winterizing, doing a bit here and there. I'll store it outside this winter; the garage I rented last year was getting too expensive.
Gonna use an ADCO cover and needed to do something to keep the camper's sharp corners from tearing it. Following a tip from the forum, I'm making corner pads from sections of foam pipe insulation and holding them on with 2" blue painters tape. I'll see if it holds all season. If it leaves a residue ill clean it with Goo Gone.

I also made covers for the fridge vent area from half-inch foam board. Will cut a piece to cover the Cool Cat's exterior grill too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3196874153.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	20947   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3873450721.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	20948   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-410653557.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	20949  
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
Flagstaff 22FBS

Neat job on the corner protection!
Question time:
Are you planning on using padding of some sort to protect the bubble windows from scratching under the cover? Or would that even be necessary?

Are you using that metal outlet cover for the AC condensation drain underneath?
Looking forward to your future posts for chronicling your process/progress. It's getting to be that time of year.
Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
Mostly Harmless

I've been hoping someone on the forum would have an idea about protecting the bubble window. I suppose I could tape a chunk of old bedsheet over it before putting the cover on. I haven't taken the cover out of the box yet so I don't know what the inner layer of it is like, whether soft or abrasive.

I did put the cover plates back on the A/C drain and the drain in the fridge area. Those drains are pretty flimsy; a creature would have no trouble popping out the perforated center.
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 10-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #4

Thanks for pointing out the corners. I'm double tarping my rig so any movement will be against the inside tarp. The tarp underneath will be smaller then the tarp above it. I'm using a plastic table cloth from the dollar store to cover the bubble windows, the material is very smooth and with the 3 later protection, it shouldn't scratch the surface. Make sure to give a good cleaning before covering.

I like the ideas I get from this forum, awesome!
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #5

Winterized and put the cover on Yesterday. I was a bit depressed.
Tarcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarcon
Winterized and put the cover on Yesterday. I was a bit depressed.
And we probably have to store our motorcycles next. I feel your pain.
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 10-23-2012, 04:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post
And we probably have to store our motorcycles next. I feel your pain.
Warm week here. Went for a motorcycle ride on Saturday. Looks like we can get out on a ride this Saturday. Might be the last.
Tarcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:09 AM   #8

I also plan to cover up the camper this week. Was really hoping for one more campout but not gonna happen.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #9

I had plans for getting out one last time this upcoming week but the last two weeks have been cold and rainy. A winter storm warning (somehow they always manage to predict those accurately) sealed the deal and I very reluctantly covered her over and wrapped approximately seven miles of rope around the whole affair three days ago.
She now sits covered in snow.

My off-season projects will include:
-shivering
-wishing for spring
-(there may be more of my ongoing experimentation to build the perfect hot buttered rum...)
Old 11-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpacker3 View Post
I also plan to cover up the camper this week. Was really hoping for one more campout but not gonna happen.
Hi, I'm new to the forum and hope this the appropriate spot for this question.. I am getting ready to winterize our A122 a-frame. I want to buy a winter cover and have a question about size of cover to get.. Most ADCO tyvek covers say they come in an 85" width. Our A122 measures at 86 inches wide . .If you have an A122 and have a winter cover, what size fits? Thanks ..
Charlie Ross
crossinlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #11

Charlie:
First off, welcome to the site.
My T10RD also measures 86 inches, so just to be on the safe side, I ordered Carver RV cover from these folks:
RV Covers: camper, motorhome, travel trailer, 5th wheel or pop-up
The Carver covers are 90" in width and will give you lots of room to rig up some padding like Lee demonstrated at the start of this thread.
The cover also came with a storage bag, a couple of long straps and a reinforcement kit. I'm pretty happy with it and the service I got, although a lot of members here seem to do well dealing with Camping World.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #12

The Adco cover you need is the 12-14 foot version.

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Don View Post
Charlie:
First off, welcome to the site.
My T10RD also measures 86 inches, so just to be on the safe side, I ordered Carver RV cover from these folks:
RV Covers: camper, motorhome, travel trailer, 5th wheel or pop-up
The Carver covers are 90" in width and will give you lots of room to rig up some padding like Lee demonstrated at the start of this thread.
The cover also came with a storage bag, a couple of long straps and a reinforcement kit. I'm pretty happy with it and the service I got, although a lot of members here seem to do well dealing with Camping World.

Thank you for that info!! Will check that one out.. Best regards,
<C>
Old 11-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #14

Looks like you have everything under control hamguy1

Just finished winterizing my A122BH today and will put it in storage tomorrow. Luckily I have a buddy that has a tight, mouse free pole barn that I can store it in til next April otherwise I would be taking lessons from all of you with the good ideas that I see here. Missed alot this summer on this website because of work and traveling. Put over 10K miles on my unit without any problems, saw some gorgeous country and collected some beautiful rocks. Next trip is back to Tucson the first two weeks of February to the Gem and Mineral show. Anybody else go to this show. I'm also looking forward to the local and Metro Chicago RV and camper shows early this next year, not that I'm looking to buy, just like to see what's out there. We are also already starting to plan our Spring and Fall Southwest trips for next year and the weekend Mississippi River trips. Picked up a great book at the Potosi Brewery " Lansing to LeClaire " that might be of interest to any of you that like to camp along the River and explore the quaint historic towns along it on the Iowa, Illinois, and Wisconsin shores. Well I got to go but hope to meet some of you in the Great Outdoors!
MrMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:25 AM   #15

MrMeyer we pick up rocks on our trips too...most recent was a successful dig in Oregon for thundereggs. DH goes to Quartzsite every year. We will be off to the opal beds this coming spring. 10k miles - wow - Sounds like you had a great time using your trailer this year!

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #16
Mostly Harmless

Finally I've moved from "getting ready" to done. We have just 2 more days of relatively good weather so today the camper went under the cover; tomorrow the motorcycle.
I bought a sheet of 1/2" pink foam to make covers or to block off various spaces, not to keep out the cold but to cut down on air infiltration. That should make the desiccant I left inside last a little longer. The last big chunk of foam went to cover the bubble window. The cover went on easily and with the three buckle straps and two ropes supplied I hope to have it stay there. I hope I haven't created a rabbit/rodent haven under there. I may have to tuck the sides up somehow. To those who've already covered theirs, any advice?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1824703694.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	21473   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3002250889.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	21474   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-225040141.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	21475   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2958273947.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	21476  
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 11-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1
The cover went on easily and with the three buckle straps and two ropes supplied I hope to have it stay there. I hope I haven't created a rabbit/rodent haven under there. I may have to tuck the sides up somehow. To those who've already covered theirs, any advice?
Nice cover, did you have a choice of color? Will it fit an A128S? How much did it cost?

You have seen my post with pic on how I strapped the tarps to cover my rig, you could use that for the top frame to make the cover snugged in. For the bottom, use a long wood plank, maybe 10 feet, both sides and pinch the excess cover between the wood planks and the bottom frame, a couple of straps around the rig to hold both wood planks may work. Use ratchet straps and nylon rope to extend it, then tightening of the straps will be easy.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
The Adco cover you need is the 12-14 foot version.
For our A122 BH we got a 12-14 foot long by 87" wide cover and it fits great. Going to make some corner covers tomorrow out of pipe insulation and we should be good to go . . Err, I mean good to stay .. <C>
Old 11-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #19
Mostly Harmless

I got the ADCO 12-14' size that a couple of others here recommended. It should be long enough to cover your unit with the storage box in front. There was no choice of color. It was US$79 with free shipping from Camping World. I solved the hanging-down sides by tucking them over and behind the tires and cinching up the straps tightly. I tucked the trailer connector into the gas cylinder cover as you suggested.
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 11-11-2012, 12:42 AM   #20

You got it at a good price, is this what you got 12-14 ft:http://m.campingworld.com/aHR0cDovL3...MvMjkxOA%3D%3D
Too bad this is only in US.