Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2020, 12:50 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
From everything I've read in Dexter literature, the EZ lube seems to be primarily designed for things like boat trailer, where the wheels become submerged in water. ...
That seems to describe Bearing Buddies, not EZ-Lube. Whether or not you think they work, the designs are very different.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 12:58 PM   #42

I've been advised to stay clear of the 'ez lube' system. Most tend to push too much grease in, and blow the seals, and end up with grease all over their brakes. Rather be safe than sorry and do it the old fashioned way, at least until they can improve the 'ez lube' system.
Old 11-26-2020, 01:04 PM   #43

Who advised you of that? They are misguided as failures are rare if used properly. Otherwise manufacturers wouldn't use them to cut down warranty claims.
bingraham66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:19 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
I don't remember when the switch to sealed bearings in cars was made.

But before the sealed bearings, cars had exactly the same bearing, hub, and brake assembly as trailers do now. Only differences were brakes were hydraulic instead of electric, and some brakes were disc instead of drum.

According to many manuals, bearings were supposed to be serviced every 12K miles or 12 months (along with lubing the chassis, which had grease points, replacing spark plugs and points, setting valve lash). Needless to say, that was rarely done. After doing it annually a few times on my cars, I delayed for a couple of years with no ill effects noted.
I had a bunch of '40s. '50s, and '60s cars. I don't remember greasing front wheel bearings on any of them except the 1969 Dodge Custom Sportsman van. And I generally followed manufacturer's books.

I have a 1962 Impala and the factory shop book for it. When I get back home I will have a look at the wheel bearing recommendations for it. It does have 25 (!) grease fittings which I hit every time I change oil. Also about 20 oil-here points--I think even two on the generator.

Yes, I've done the points, plugs, and valves dance too. Still have the feeler gauges, dwell meter, and timing light.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:03 PM   #45

Quote:
I also asked about the concern for clean grease. All three said..it's a sealed unit. Grease is grease. It doesn't really wear out. Don't be concerned about that.
I have never seen EZ Lube on a boat trailer... not saying they don't exist but Bearing Buddies are much more prevalent.

I believe the EZ Lube works as intended. Biggest problem is caused by OVER GREASING, thereby pushing grease into the brakes.

Just 3-4 pumps of the hand grease gun should do the job while turning the wheel on a warm day.

Travel trailer hubs don't typically get submerged so no need to push out old grease like on a boat trailer.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bearings, wheel