Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2016, 12:24 PM   #1

Hardside Subflooring Concern

I know the hardside flooring is made of "Structurwood" OSB (oriented strand board). That doesn't concern me because I used to sell that product when I worked at a building supply company.
My concern is this: When I went to the local Flagstaff dealer, I got down on my knees and looked up underneath the A-frame trailer. You can see the flooring from underneath. It seems to be coated with black sealant or paint of some sort, but you can still see the individual chips of the flooring.
I would think that over time, spray from the tires, salt, mud, etc. would cause the flooring to delaminate.
I was hoping that my fellow campers would be able to shed some light on the matter.
Thank you in advance.
Brimare57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:53 PM   #2

I've had my 2012 Flagstaff TH since it was brand new. I am in WA and quite often find myself in rainy windy conditions when taking trips with the A-Frame and boy, have we been on some water soaked pounding rain highway drives. I've noticed any problems with the floor as of yet. I am especially pleased that it has a 25 yr warranty, to me it shows confidence in their product. Normal use shouldn't be an issue.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:59 PM   #3

I had the same concern you have when I purchased mine but so far so good. I did have one corner that tended to stay damp for a while after it rained and discovered it was the way the screw holding the corner molding underneath was positioned causing water to run along molding underneath and wetting the corner of floor. I backed out screw a little, which tilted the molding down, so water drips down molding and screw to ground. I also installed mud flaps behind wheels to limit splashing of water,mud, etc. against the underside of floor. Probably not necessary but can't hurt either and didn't take much time or money.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:26 PM   #4

The bare nature of the structurewood is to allow moisture to escape from the material. Remember it is covered on top by moisture proof vinyl and it needs to "breathe" on the bottom.

In my reading on various camper forums for years, it is extended periods of wetness from seepage leaks above that cause most problems with structurewood floors.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 02:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
I've had my 2012 Flagstaff TH since it was brand new. I am in WA and quite often find myself in rainy windy conditions when taking trips with the A-Frame and boy, have we been on some water soaked pounding rain highway drives. I've noticed any problems with the floor as of yet. I am especially pleased that it has a 25 yr warranty, to me it shows confidence in their product. Normal use shouldn't be an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzak View Post
I had the same concern you have when I purchased mine but so far so good. I did have one corner that tended to stay damp for a while after it rained and discovered it was the way the screw holding the corner molding underneath was positioned causing water to run along molding underneath and wetting the corner of floor. I backed out screw a little, which tilted the molding down, so water drips down molding and screw to ground. I also installed mud flaps behind wheels to limit splashing of water,mud, etc. against the underside of floor. Probably not necessary but can't hurt either and didn't take much time or money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
The bare nature of the structurewood is to allow moisture to escape from the material. Remember it is covered on top by moisture proof vinyl and it needs to "breathe" on the bottom.

In my reading on various camper forums for years, it is extended periods of wetness from seepage leaks above that cause most problems with structurewood floors.
Thank you everyone. I feel somewhat better about the exposed flooring. I have an appointment to visit the FR factory tomorrow. I will ask them what they use to undercoat the flooring. I will have pictures of the new 2017 Hardside interiors. I will also report on any other changes they may be making to the line.
Brimare57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:25 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
I am especially pleased that it has a 25 yr warranty, to me it shows confidence in their product. Normal use shouldn't be an issue.
Handbuilder, I'm familiar with FR's A frames but what 25 year warranty are you referring to?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Handbuilder, I'm familiar with FR's A frames but what 25 year warranty are you referring to?

Just took delivery on an A212HW. Included in the literature isa sheet from Ainsworth Corp. that the OSB flooring panels are warranted to the OEM and FIRST REGISTERED OWNER for 25 years from the date of manufacture. The parent company is Ainsworth Engineered Canada LP.

2017 A212HW
2016 Ford Explorer TV
The Villages, Florida

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 07-17-2016, 08:00 PM   #8

Hey Dan! Its what TJwoody posted above. (Thank you, TJwoody)

It clearly states it will not cover delam due to flood, standing water, repeated wetting or exposure to high moisture environments. Other stuff like severe service and overload and a few other issues. Owners should read their warranty info and potential buyer should research the types and qualities of engineered OSB. It's not plywood and it's not composite that falls apart. Other brand salesmen love to play up to buyer ignorance and that guillable buyer begins quoting other brand salesman as to FR producing an inferior product with cruddy flooring. I'm in several A-Frame forums and can attest that the floor is the least of problems. So flooring naysayers are simply that. LOL

The fact that FR uses a company that warrants their product to such a high level is awesome. As I've said, I have no issue with my floor and it's been in some pretty gnarly wet adventures.

Tjwoody, be sure you send in all your warranty cards and purchase the additional year of coverage thru FR. It's a small amount for piece of mind.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flooring