Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2017, 11:38 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
If it's a Pezio ignitor, you can hold that button down until the cows come home and the only thing that's gonna happen.....is the cows came home...nothing else.
Have you owned the type of fridge being referred to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
On DC, the fridge runs full bore until the batteries die. There is no control on DC.
Just noticed this comment. If true, this is news to me, but I had usually kept the dial up to max on 12V anyway!

Nights camped since 2016: 370
JArry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 04:59 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JArry View Post
Have you owned the type of fridge being referred to?

Just noticed this comment. If true, this is news to me, but I had usually kept the dial up to max on 12V anyway!
The Dometic 4223 is the standard fridge in the Forest River standard height A-frames, especially in 2014 which is what the OP has. High walls have a bigger, different fridge.

The Dometic 4223 (I also have a 2014 Rockwood standard height A-frame) specs, and operating and installation instructions are available on-line.

The propane ignition is through a piezo igniter. A push of the red button generates a spark. Very similar to older, low end gas grills. No electronics, no battery. Each time the button is pushed, a spark is generated.

To start the Dometic 4223 fridge on propane you must simultaneously push in and hold the gas valve, and push and release the igniter switch. The gas valve has a thermocouple flame detector that shuts off the gas if no flame is detected. Pushing in the gas valve bypasses the flame detector while starting. I hold in the gas valve knob (says on/off) for about 15-30 seconds to give the thermocouple a chance to heat up and keep the gas valve open when in the "On" position.

The numbered dial controls how much propane goes to the fridge burner - there is no "off" on the dial, and no thermostatic control of the fridge.

Dometic does not guarantee the fridge will run on propane above 5,000ft without re-jetting. I have found it works fine up to 9,000ft (I haven't camped at higher yet), but starting on propane at altitude can be difficult. The overly rich mixture will blow itself out with a "poof" or "pop". Somebody on this forum said that pushing the igniter button again as soon as the "poof" occurs will ignite the remaining propane and start burning normally. This has worked well for me, I usually get it started on the 2nd or 4th push of the igniter button.

It is very difficult to see the flame on such a small fridge in daylight. But I do wedge the burner sight flap open when starting to help lean the mixture a little bit.

just my experiences
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fridge mod 04 23Apr2016.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	337.7 KB
ID:	147178  
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote