Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2016, 03:47 PM   #1

Heading out on a one month road trip.

Yes, starting Friday, I'll be living out of the 20 square feet of floor space in my A Frame for the next month. The first half will take me to Garner State Park TX, Palo Duro Canyon State Park TX, the McPhee Recreation Complex in SW Colorado, the Dewey Bridge campground near Moab, then back to Colorado. The last half schedule is open.

Have to be back mid June for my wedding anniversary or risk permanently living in my camper.

Since much of this will be dry camping or boondocking, I installed a mount for an 800 watt Generac generator to keep the battery charged. I chose the generator over solar because my CPAP drains the battery pretty quickly and I need to be sure it will run. Secondarily, I want to be sure my computer and furnace will run, since there will be many nights alone. (See previous comment about permanently living in camper.)

Right now I am washing the bedding and finishing my cloths packing. I've never packed for a month before but I figure if I have enough shoes and socks for hiking the rest will work itself out with hand washing between laundromat stops.

The McPhee Recreation Complex is near Mesa Verde and the Canyon of the Ancients. The area is full of hiking among prehistoric ruins, just my kind of place. I have a four wheel drive TV and want to make the best use of it. So I am planning on visiting Monument Valley. And perhaps dropping the camper to do some forest service road camping and overnight backpacking.

Does anyone else have suggestions for adventurous or cultural activities in the four corners states?

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 05:11 PM   #2

Just got back from Garner State Park last week. It is a great place.

Few tips make sure you take pictures of your license plates both, TV and camper before you go to check in. Try to check in early if possible. If you like lots of people stay in Old Garner or the Frio camping spots , if you want a little less crowd stay in the Live Oak camping spots.

Friday nights are fun to watch all the campers coming in a setting up (lots of tents). Wi Fi is available at the park store or the park office, cell phone service or lack of (Verizon anyway) does not exist. The river water was clear and the flow was good. Don't forget your water shoes the rocks in the river are pretty slick.

Palo Duro is great also, lots of people on Mt. Bikes and it will be hot. I found that the Mesquite camping spots were more desirable. Most of the picnic tables have covers but some don't. Check in is pretty fast here compared to Garner

Have fun
JPBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 05:43 PM   #3

Sound like a great trip.
We were at Palo Duro Canyon State Park last month, had deer and turkeys in the camp ground. The hiking was good. We did 4 Texas state parks and they were all good.
Were at McPhee 2 years ago nice camp ground. If you want a good Pizza, one night go to Dolores River Brewery in Dolores , they also have great cheese cake.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 05:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBar View Post

Friday nights are fun to watch all the campers coming in a setting up (lots of tents).
We have about 35 people in our group with 7 campsites for the weekend. Coming in at all hours. It is something of a sport to watch the first timers or the "haven't set my tent up in a year" campers. Then the more spatially aware of us go over and help. (This is how the poles go together and fit into the grommets to hold the tent up.)

Then I'm off on my own until the group meets again at the Dewey Campground.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 05-11-2016, 10:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1A Camper View Post
If you want a good Pizza, one night go to Dolores River Brewery in Dolores , they also have great cheese cake.
Great idea' The local breweries are almost always good. Maybe the sell growlers too.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 05-11-2016, 11:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
Great idea' The local breweries are almost always good. Maybe the sell growlers too.
Yes

It is a small place and I think they were only selling their own brew no national beers. The list was running light to very dark. I saw some local bring in container to be filled. We were there on a Friday and the place was hopping at 4:30 pm.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:57 PM   #7

20 sq ft? Our T12SC is 12 by 8, which by my math, gives us 96 sq ft. Is your camper 4 x 5??

2013 T12SC FR Classic
2013 Chevrolet Silverado
Old 05-12-2016, 11:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentbev View Post
20 sq ft? Our T12SC is 12 by 8, which by my math, gives us 96 sq ft. Is your camper 4 x 5??

2013 T12SC FR Classic
2013 Chevrolet Silverado
Maybe he's just counting the open floor space. Just the area that you can actually walk on. That's about 20 sq. feet.
mzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:34 PM   #9

Yes open floor space It was a rough estimate from counting the tile pattern.

This is the first time I've gone without the stock table. I plan to leave the table in the garage from now on. It is easier to stow things and sit down on the bench. I'm using a small Coleman folding table that I carry anyway so there is no loss to the dining ability.

But the straight back of the benches, now that I am sitting inside for some time are uncomfortable. I'll have to work on that one.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 05-18-2016, 10:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
Yes open floor space It was a rough estimate from counting the tile pattern.

This is the first time I've gone without the stock table. I plan to leave the table in the garage from now on. It is easier to stow things and sit down on the bench. I'm using a small Coleman folding table that I carry anyway so there is no loss to the dining ability.

But the straight back of the benches, now that I am sitting inside for some time are uncomfortable. I'll have to work on that one.
I also quit using my stock table last year. It seemed to be in the way most of the time and feels larger inside without it and if I need one I use a small folding table.

I have the u-dinette which is also not that comfortable to sit in any length of time so I use a folding cloth chair with a cushion which I can use inside or out. Not quite a Lazy Boy but better than bench seats.

I have seen pictures in the past of someone who actually put a Lazy Boy in an Aliner by modifying the dinette area!
mzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:26 PM   #11

Found that I've stopped using the table already as well, with the 213 model its half the size anyways due to the toilet. Do you like the coleman, I wanna buy something portable this week.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:37 PM   #12

I'm on the way home from my road trip. It was called off early because I got a particularly nasty virus and had to skip the Choco Culture park.

A few things I learned. The mattress is not up to the task of providing comfortable sleeping for multiple nights.

Second the 800 watt Generac generator is not powerful enough at altitude to run the converter on the camper. It worked fine in my Houston test but not in Moab. A pretty big disappointment that required the purchase of a 15 amp battery charger that took a long time to charge the battery and led me to forgo some of the dry camping i'd hoped to do.

Great trip overall, with hiking and driving through great scenery. I will have to get back to NM to finish the trip soon, once the weather cools down a bit. It's only a days drive for me so Its doable

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 08-13-2016, 09:34 PM   #13

would be interested to hear what model coleman tables are working out well.
cheers, and enjoy your trip,
-rob