Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2017, 02:40 PM   #1

Heat Pump Cycles Weird

Hello All!

I have a 2017 Rockwood 214HW A frame. Just got back from a trip to Estero Florida. During our camping, and only at night, the AC/Heat pump unit cycled in what I deem unusual way. The fan would come on for a minute, then go off, then on, then off.... for about 6 times. The seventh time the compressor would kick in, cool down till the t-stat was satisfied. It did this all night, and every night we camped. It did not do this during the day when is was REALLY HOT! (thank goodness) Anybody else experienced this?
Dan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:27 PM   #2

No, I have not experienced anything similar. But then the wettest place I have ever used the Cool Cat is in Waco, Texas. In Colorado, our relative humidity seldom gets above 30%, and there is almost no condensate water dripping from the Cool Cat.

Just a guess on my part - perhaps the condensate is not draining properly. There are drains in the floor under the Cool Cat, plus a couple of clear hoses poking through the grate. If the condensate is not draining, that might be the reason for the compressor not kicking in right away. Another possibility is the frost or ice on the coils - the compressor will not come on until the fan evaporates the frost or ice.

I hope you figure it out.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:10 PM   #3

Thanks for your response! Talked w/ Bob's Rv center.

He feels the T-stat is located too close (it's within 3 ft) to the A/C unit. At night when the outside temperature is lower, the act of just air blowing on or near the t-stat may be fooling it into shutting off. When the temperature finally does rise enough to keep the fan on long enough, the compressor kicks in and cools the unit. I think he hit the nail on the head! I've contacted Rockwood service to see what their thoughts are.

Here in Florida, we run the A/C at night to reduce the humidity as it get to 90%.
Dan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 04:32 PM   #4

My Cool Cat has adjustable air outlets. Maybe rotate them to direct the air away from the thermostat?
Swampweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:39 PM   #5

Discussion of the problem on this thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...es-118846.html

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump