Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2020, 09:42 AM   #1

Heating issues

Have a 2012 T12RB - with heating issues.
Turn on furnace or heat pump they turn on and initially heat to the set temperature but won't maintain the set temperature. (won't come back on).
Have replaced the thermostat with no change.

Of course the dealer tested and said "everything was working properly).
Mtnwlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:01 AM   #2

During my PDI, my dealer (expert on pop-ups) said the thermostat needed to be initialized on every setup. I do find it needs initialization occasionally, but not every trip. I always have to look up how to do it, but it involves pressing 2 buttons simultaneously.

This may or may not be your issue - but it's worth trying because it's cheap.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:11 AM   #3

Thanks -- tried that with both the old and new thermostat -
Old 10-03-2020, 12:30 AM   #4

I am not sure if your experience matches mine, but:

Recently, on one of the rare occasions I used the furnace, it ran one cycle but would not come back on after the first cycle even after the temperature dropped several degrees. I assumed if I let the temp drop enough the furnace would eventually cycle on again, because if I turned UP the thermostat enough the furnace would come back on (and run longer than it should). Basically the thermostat does not seem to respond well to temperature fluctuations.

I don't think an air circulation issue is the main cause, because the thermostat is fairly close to the furnace vent. Then again, it works better (with less fluctuation) when using the heat pump or AC vs. the furnace, especially when the fan is left on continuously.

There are other threads regarding this issue, but I have not been able to find a complete fix. I haven't tried Fred's initialization process, though.

Nights camped since 2016: 370
JArry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 05:19 AM   #5

I had the same issue awhile back and had to replace the board in the furnace I believe.
Old 10-03-2020, 10:43 AM   #6

Exactly the same issue(s) --- attempting to locate a circuit board that will work.
Already replaced the thermostat and done multiple "initializations"
Old 10-03-2020, 11:01 AM   #7

So Todd and Mtn - are you able to make the furnace turn on manually by increasing the thermostat temp as I do, or on its own if the temperature drops MUCH lower?

Old 10-03-2020, 11:30 AM   #8

On it's own -- it heats up to the set temp initially - then doesn't come back on and yes the temp drops way below the setting. I can increase the temp setting and it will sometimes come back on - but heats past the set temperature and have to set the thermostat to off.
Old 10-03-2020, 11:31 AM   #9

Sounds like I have exactly the same problem, then. Ugh. Please update if either of you find a board. I haven't even looked yet.

Old 10-03-2020, 06:00 PM   #10

Will do --- have some people trying to find the correct board.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:18 PM   #11

Update:

Dometic says it takes Forest River's part number F100135920 and it is $145.80 plus tax and shipping for my unit..

and - - Dometic is about 8 to 10 weeks behind -

i don't know how quick I can get the circuit board and if it will fix the problem.

I was told that Dometic said it could be the circuit board OR the temperature sensor --- I thought the thermostat was the temperature sensor....

With all that said - if I get more info or after I get and install the circuit board I will update.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:22 PM   #12

Wow, for that price I might just stick with "manual" thermostat operation or continue to use the Buddy heater!

(The furnace doesn't work for me on most trips anyway since the dog sleeps right near the vent.)

Still want to know if it's a fix, though!

Old 10-05-2020, 08:47 PM   #13

Looking at the furnace wiring diagram included with my trailer, there are two wires (white and white/blue on my furnace) that could be wired to a regular thermostat.
PapaGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:11 PM   #14

On mine I've got three that go from the thermostat to the control/circuit board - then coming out of the circuit board a white/blue & blue/white connected to thermostat wire going to the furnace. I'm just not sure how to wire the bypass.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:14 PM   #15

The blue and blue/white would go directly to a regular thermostat.
PapaGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:28 PM   #16

I'll give it a try tomorrow - Thanks
Old 10-29-2020, 10:11 AM   #17

Update

Bought a cheap thermostat --- bypassed the circuit board -- furnace works - camped in the mountains for 3 days without a hitch --

am I 100% sure the circuit board was the problem? NO ---

but plan to keep going on this until I'm satisfied.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:23 AM   #18

That solution sounds fine to me - maybe even better for its simplicity - but can you give any more info on how you did it? Direct wired from the furnace itself or did you use the wiring going to the digital thermo?

Old 10-29-2020, 10:41 AM   #19

Ran a new wire from the new thermostat to where the orig thermostat connected into the circuit board --- cut the old wires off -- connected the new wires to the (blue/white white/blue) and the wires going to the furnace.
Old 10-29-2020, 11:01 AM   #20

Good. I will put that on the list for next year.

Camping season ended abruptly here and the trailer is going into storage on Saturday!

Tags
heating