Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2022, 06:11 PM   #1

Hello from Pennsylvania

I'm new to this forum. I've never been on a forum before, so please be patient with me. My husband and I just purchased a 2021 Forest River Rockwood A122S and we are trying to figure out how everything works. When we plugged it in there was a fan sound coming from below the dinette, so we unplugged it, as we didn't want something running. We think it's the heater, but since there are no instructions we don't want to mess with things until we have some idea. Any help would be deeply appreciated and again, thanks for your patients!
LKGNaturally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 06:24 PM   #2

Man-oh-man,

You definitely have some learning to do! Having an RV, be at a travel trailer or motor home, definitely involves a learning curve.

Nevertheless, the most likely source of the "fan" noise after plugging your trailer is your converter. The converter provides household AC electricity to those things in your trailer that require it, changes household electricity into 12 volt DC electricity for the things in your trailer that require it, and charges the batteries on your travel trailer.

In my trailer, the fan in the converter will kick on when I'm plugged in to the house or using a generator. After a short period of time, it turns itself off.

It is doubtful that the fan noise you hear is coming from your furnace as the furnace must be turned on and set to a temperature above the air temperature in the trailer. This is easy enough to check as you simply look at your thermostat and ensure that it is in the off position.

Hope this helps!
BD Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 06:39 PM   #3

I agree with BD Nomad.
You might want to start learning with Forest River's Online manual for the Rockwood here: https://forestriverinc.help/#/forest...trailer/browse
Someone will be glad to answer your questions as they come up, but you also might want to browse the Forest Rover Owners section videos and You Tube.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 09-23-2022, 07:04 PM   #4
Site Team

Moved thread to the A-frame sub-forum, for help from other A-frame owners.
There should be quite a few A122S owners here, that can help.
Did you buy this trailer new or used?

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 06:41 AM   #5

Thank You!

I will take all of your advice and begin my adventures of camper ownership. Thank you for your input!!
Old 09-24-2022, 01:23 PM   #6

The inverter fan will stop when the 12V battery is fully charged.
bjaspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 01:43 PM   #7

Hello from Pennsylvania

Thanks Pjaspud, much appreciated!
Old 09-24-2022, 06:55 PM   #8

One thing that people frequently don't understand is that RV's have two electrical systems, 12 volt DC and 120 volt AC. They overlap through the converter which converts 120 volt AC to charge the batteries and to run the 12 volt parts of the RV. Some appliances use 120 volt current. Some items use 12 volt DC current from the battery. The battery can also be charged from the engine or solar panels.

If this is confusing, join the crowd.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 07:05 PM   #9

Thanks BarabooBob

Thanks BarabooBob, I spoke with my brother who has a better understanding and he explained a few things to me, which make things clearer. He isn't an RV owner, but is good at trouble shooting, so I told him he may be getting more calls for help, as we are learning the ins & outs of our camper. 🤔🧐

Tags
pennsylvania