Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2018, 05:20 AM   #1

Help! Can't get roof down!

We have a Rockwood A219 aframe and we can't get the roof to go down. The motor is not working and we need to get it folded down. Anyone with suggestions.. please help!
Dee Silbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:44 AM   #2
OYO

Just remove the nut at the top and pull the push rod towards you. You may need to push up on the roof panel to relieve the pressure.

I guess you could do the bottom nut ase well
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:49 AM   #3
OYO

Pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170725_111744.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	221.2 KB
ID:	188783   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170727_101550.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	263.6 KB
ID:	188784  
Old 10-10-2018, 05:54 AM   #4

Motor question

Have you had any experience with these motors? Is it difficult to replace and should we replace it with a larger one?
Old 10-10-2018, 06:18 AM   #5
OYO

Yes. I have, they're easy, I used a better motor, and waterproofed the shaft and motor. There's several threads and hundreds of post in this forum on the subject. Might want to do a search.

You can see my waterproof mods in the photos (water is the issue). I've had the windy nation actuator for almost two years now. It's been up and down many many times (We average about 90 nights a year).

Good luck.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:45 PM   #6

Could you please tell me what size motor you purchased and where you got it?
Old 10-10-2018, 01:37 PM   #7

Cant get 219 top down

Hope not too late. Only remove top of lift post. If you take bottom loose it will rip wires out.

these are easy to replace, I have done it twice with Rockwood provded lifts. They are weak units. Common problem. If anyone knows of stronger unit please post details and sourcing info.
NormTn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 02:51 PM   #8

Do not, repeat do not stand on a ladder to lower manually.
mtmurphy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:18 AM   #9
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Silbaugh View Post
Could you please tell me what size motor you purchased and where you got it?
This is the one I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm sure there are others as good or better. The big thing is waterproofing. When I took my second OEM actuator off, water poured out of it. I actually took it apart, sanded the brushes and armature and got it working. I keep it as a spare.

If you haven't done so I highly recommend searching this forum for the word "actuator". There's a lot of good information and opinions other than mine.

Good luck.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:40 AM   #10

I do not own one of these trailers, but out of curiosity, if you were in a position where the top is stuck open would it be safe to travel with it up? It seems like it would still be well within the height of a regular travel trailer, let's say, so just wondering, in an "emergency" if this would be a solution for someone who doesn't have the time/ability/tools/parts to do a repair out on the road.
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:07 AM   #11
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Towed View Post
I do not own one of these trailers, but out of curiosity, if you were in a position where the top is stuck open would it be safe to travel with it up? It seems like it would still be well within the height of a regular travel trailer, let's say, so just wondering, in an "emergency" if this would be a solution for someone who doesn't have the time/ability/tools/parts to do a repair out on the road.
No go on towing with the roof up. Just not enough structural strength.

You could get the actuator off with a pair of pliers in 10 minutes if you had to.

It seems odd to go bad in the up position. It had enough umph to raise it, but not to lower? Dee, did you check for a blown fuse?

But being up would make removal more difficult due to the weight of the roof on the shaft.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:00 AM   #12

Should be no weight on the lift once the panels latch in the up position.

Also I cannot figure out the warning against standing on a ladder to raise/lower the A-frame roof. That is exactly how I intend to reach the lift handles should the lift motor fail - I need at least a stepstool to reach.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post

Also I cannot figure out the warning against standing on a ladder to raise/lower the A-frame roof. That is exactly how I intend to reach the lift handles should the lift motor fail - I need at least a stepstool to reach.

Fred W

I have a highwall and had the actuator go out (while it was already down thank goodness) but that roof can be HEAVY. I replaced the actuator, which is easy depending on which one is currently on it. I had to drill into the wall to add the plug since mine was hard wired in originally. I have 2 six foot long wooden dowels, couple inch diameter, that hubby added "U" shaped hooks into the end for use on the handles of the roof to lift and help lower should it ever fail again. I also have two pairs of "grippy gloves" to keep hands from sliding along the dowel (it can be hard to keep a grip on it, the wood is very smooth and if not smooth, you'll end up with splinters). Keep all body parts out of the way!!!

If you need to use a ladder to disconnect the top of the actuator, Use a step ladder or other ladder that will NOT have to be leaned against the camper, and have TWO MORE PEOPLE helping you so that they can support the roof while you unscrew that cap nut. That actuator is the only thing keeping that roof from dropping down and it will drop fast. They need a good grip on the handles.

I hope this all makes sense.
tlspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlspencer View Post
I have a highwall and had the actuator go out (while it was already down thank goodness) but that roof can be HEAVY. I replaced the actuator, which is easy depending on which one is currently on it. I had to drill into the wall to add the plug since mine was hard wired in originally. I have 2 six foot long wooden dowels, couple inch diameter, that hubby added "U" shaped hooks into the end for use on the handles of the roof to lift and help lower should it ever fail again. I also have two pairs of "grippy gloves" to keep hands from sliding along the dowel (it can be hard to keep a grip on it, the wood is very smooth and if not smooth, you'll end up with splinters). Keep all body parts out of the way!!!

If you need to use a ladder to disconnect the top of the actuator, Use a step ladder or other ladder that will NOT have to be leaned against the camper, and have TWO MORE PEOPLE helping you so that they can support the roof while you unscrew that cap nut. That actuator is the only thing keeping that roof from dropping down and it will drop fast. They need a good grip on the handles.

I hope this all makes sense.
We are assuming different failure modes. I also have a high wall A-frame (with a dormer), and owned a standard height A-frame before that.

Once the roof panels are fully up, the lift is not supporting the roof weight. The top of the rear panel locks into a channel in the top of the front panel. At that point, the roof is self-supporting. I usually assist the lift with getting the rear panel into and out of the locked position by lifting on the correct handle.

I could see if the lift failed with the roof panels most of the way up, that there would be considerable weight on the lift brackets.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW (Rockwood A213) A-frame
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:20 AM   #15

Quote:
We are assuming different failure modes. I also have a high wall A-frame (with a dormer), and owned a standard height A-frame before that.

Once the roof panels are fully up, the lift is not supporting the roof weight. The top of the rear panel locks into a channel in the top of the front panel. At that point, the roof is self-supporting. I usually assist the lift with getting the rear panel into and out of the locked position by lifting on the correct handle.

I could see if the lift failed with the roof panels most of the way up, that there would be considerable weight on the lift brackets.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW (Rockwood A213) A-frame
True. My mistake. But at some point the roof needs to "separate" and let down and that's when it will come slamming down without some support. I always have to give the top half a push to disengage the other side as well when lowering. But the first time I had to do it without having the actuator to help, that thing came down FAST and could have taken off body parts in the process! I think the concern here is that no one wants you to be injured in the process, or damage the camper.
tlspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:29 AM   #16

Quote:

Fred W

Fred. The roof comes down faster than you expect. My wife was knocked off the ladder and had a neck fracture. Make a long handle to push it up to unlock
mtmurphy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:04 PM   #17

I got rid of those cheap motors, I have seen them do more damage to the roof. I have no problem raising or lowering my roof, there are torsion springs that assist with the process, sure there is some weight but the springs keep it very safe and simple to go up and down.
sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:54 PM   #18

Sundancer, what model do you have?
LoonCall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof