Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2012, 03:10 PM   #1

Help! Neophytes Buying Rockwood A-Frame

We're total neophytes and non-handy-persons, retired (finally) and living in Florida. We've spent several days at RV shows and researching online and have decided to purchase the Rockwood A122BH. Of all the Rockwood a-frames, it best suits our needs.

We would humbly appreciate ANY help at all.... really, any help...

Like:

1. questions to ask sales person
2. suggested warrantees
3. any extras to purchase (EX: we're looking at the furnace for colder nights)
4. what to look for upon delivery

In other words, what would you like to have known when you were in our position.

Thanks,

Frank and Marje
oomiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
Mostly Harmless

Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place. There are several Floridians with both Rockwood or Flagstaff A frame hardsides (the two brands are identical, except the model numbers are different) who are members here. There has been an upswing in sales of these units this year it seems. I'm going to assume some of them near you will greet you soon. As far as options go, there aren't many on these units because it all comes standard: furnace, water heater, stereo system, microwave, fridge, stove, water pump, etc. On mine the furnace was standard, is it really optional on yours? That would be a change. I think they're a great item to have, just as is the heat pump/air conditioner that also comes standard.

There have been several lists posted here in the past months of questions to ask the dealer or what to look for when inspecting your unit at delivery. I'm not at place where I can stop and look for those at the moment, but never fear, someone will post a link to those topics before long, I'll bet.

One option you may be offered is the detachable screen room. Opinions vary on those; it's a good opportunity to try the forum's search function to find posts about it. Look for something like "A frame screen room" as a search topic.

You're in for the time of your life in your new Hardside!
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:51 PM   #3

Welcome,

My first thought to (1) was ask nothing because he is the salesperson. Truely I would ask just the basics and leave it at that, until later in the process. Each item has its own warrenty i.e. stove, frig, fans etc. There are many extended warrenties out there, with about as many pros and cons. I have decided to carry and extended warrenty because I find it hard to instead put the money in the bank for needed repairs. Please do a search for pdi lists there are many on this board. This is by far your most important thing to do before you drive away with your new unit. Your should plan on taking as much time as you need, to look at EVERYTHING work EVERYTHING. Go as far as printing out a copy of the pdi take it to your dealer and give it to the person who will be giving you the pdi, just a heads up. As you are new to this whole thing you may even what to video some of the pdi dealing with moving parts set up etc. Just remember once you hook up and drive off the lot its all yours.
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:09 PM   #4

A nice tidbit of information would be .. first of all ... subscribe to this site. It holds alot of usefull info from present Aframe owners .. and those who would like to be ... on these trailers.
Your trailer will come with a 5 year roof, siding, and a 25 year floor warrentee. If you look closely at your purchase agreement, and depending on pro-active your dealer is .. you can extend this warrenty to the frame, cabinates, flooring, and external walls of your trailer for the lifetime of your trailer, as long as you own it.
This was a no-brainer for me ... for 100 bucks,you submit a form filled out by you and your dealer... and you are covered for the time you own the trailer.

cheers .. and welcome to the club .. d-mo
Old 05-31-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Frank and Marje.

It's an exciting thing buying a trailer and especially your first one. You'll find us here to be helpful and friendly.

I don't have experience with a-frames except for stepping into them at shows and knowing a couple who has one so my answers to your questions are more process-oriented than product-focused.

1. Some salesmen are good, honest folk trying to help you. Some are not (just like any industry) and are mere order-takers. Do your best to find out here what you need to know and plan on telling him or her what you want. Get competing quotes from places like RV Wholesalers and RV Direct for comparison. Also, see if you can talk to a tech or service manager wherever you want to buy from, which is especially useful if you plan to have them service your trailer in the future. How quickly will they get you in if you need a fast repair? What is their training/experience?

2. Forest River has a 2nd year extension for most brands and models that covers nearly all of the one year warranty. It ranges in price and I'm unsure the cost for A-frames. Mine was $150 and needed to be bought within 10 days of delivery. Remember that each appliance has its own separate warranty.

3. Don't know what options are available to you. Best to talk with owners.

4. Search for PDI Checklist. I'd attach one I use but A-frames and hybrids are pretty different. In general, plan to inspect and work EVERYTHING on DC and AC and use the walkthrough to learn about all your systems and procedures. This will take several hours if done right.

Have a great time and post other questions as they come to mind.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:11 PM   #6

Welcome and good choice. I have the A126 and love it.

Do you have a smart phone? Take it with you to the PDI. Take pics while learning about the camper. If you have a sound recorder app, use it. Record the PDI audio. Better yet take a video camcorder and use that (or the video feature of you digital camera). That can help capture lots of those how tos that go by way too quick during the PDI.

Have a partner to take written notes and don't be afraid to say, wait... Slow down and show me that again.

The a-frames are more basic than big trailers but the PDI is the best time to get all the details. Take your time and don't let the technician rush you.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:29 AM   #7

Welcome Frank and Marje! We also live in Sarasota and just love our Forest River T12RB. We are actually camping right now in Tallulah Falls, GA!

Like you, we did a ton a research before our purchase 6 months ago. If you haven't decided on a dealership, look at Eagle Ridge in Lake Wales. It's a few hours drive but worth the price and customer service - http://www.eagle-ridge-rv.com

Good luck,
~ Kristen
KristenDavid208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:50 AM   #8

I am a retired teacher and spent 3 months researching EVERYTHING. Like others have stated: Ask questions about EVERYTHING. As I have heard and said to my students -- There are no stupid questions. I live in Jacksonville and was willing to drive extra miles to find the best price. Orlando RV was the best I could find. Eric Hodes is a very honest salesperson, who is very "low keY'. I was very impressed with the whole "non-pressured" sales. I got a quote from them and tried to stay "local" here in Jacksonville by taking Orlando RV's quote to 3 local dealers. I even told Eric I was going to do so for my "peace of mind". He encouraged me to do so and said he would see me upon my return. Not a single dealer could come close to Orlando RV's quote. One told me, I was about to be "scammed".

I saved over $3000 by driving 3 hours to Orlando. I have owned the camper 6 months and have had no issue with the camper or the dealer. Have fun....
UPGRADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #9

A huge thanks everyone. Keep the suggestions coming. We are reading all.

Frank & Marje
Old 06-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #10
Mostly Harmless

Frank and Marje:

the discussion thread I was thinking of is one that was started in March by loganmartin, the title of his post was Taking Delivery Tomorrow..What to look for?
If you use the forum's search tool, just look for a post with the first 3 words of that title (or as an alternative, search on the username loganmartin).

Some of the advice is specifically for A frames.
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 06-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Here you go ...

Taking Delivery Tomorrow..What to look for?

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #12

Hello:
I have a question. Since I didn't receive an owners manual to my A Frame there is a switch I don't know the purpose. It's just to the right of the electrical fuse box, just like a light switch but in the up position has a small red light. I have no idea what it's for. the rest of te components have been working nicely.
Thanks
djtouchfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtouchfla View Post
Hello:
I have a question. Since I didn't receive an owners manual to my A Frame there is a switch I don't know the purpose. It's just to the right of the electrical fuse box, just like a light switch but in the up position has a small red light. I have no idea what it's for. the rest of te components have been working nicely.
Thanks
Water Heater
loganmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #14
Mostly Harmless

It's as LM said. I'll add: don't turn it on unless the water heater is full of water. Probably a brief on/off blip won't hurt. Since you don't have a manual (?) I should also mention that there's a water heater bypass built into the water lines, so when you want to fill and use it you'll have to close the valve on the bypass and open the two valves on the water heater's in and out lines. Once the water heater is full you just turn on that switch and it's automatic from there on. You'll need to have the gas on too, the heater is gas only. Ours is very quiet--you have to listen close to hear it operate. It's very nice to have hot water from the tap.

The dealer should include the water heater operation including the bypass location in the final walk through. You might have some luck contacting FR and asking to get an owners manual. Anyone else here have a number to call at FR? I vaguely remember a posting about someone contacting FR customer service about an A-frame issue and getting a positive outcome.

Open the heater's outside access door and ensure that the anode rod has been installed before trying to fill the heater. The anode rods are often left uninstalled--and rattling around inside the access door--when the heater is not filled. We leave ours out between camping trips so the heater will dry inside (we put the water system back in bypass mode then, of course).
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 06-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #15
Flagstaff 22FBS

Maybe this link will help.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...own-22289.html

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #16

Thank you for the information. I gave it a go and all works fine.
David Touch
The Villages Fl.
djtouchfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #17

We want to thank each person who responded to our request... each one of your responses was valuable in helping us get the info we needed before purchasing our A-frame. Our order has been placed with Tropical RV in Ft. Pierce, Fla... and now we get to wait the 4-6 weeks before it arrives.... sheeeesh!

In the meantime, we're checking out campsites on the central and northern east coast of Florida.

Will let you all know how things go.....

Frank and Marje
Old 06-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #18

that's awesome...congrats!
loganmartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a-frame, a122, a122bh, rockwood