Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2020, 08:31 PM   #1

Hidden Potty

My awesome hubby bought me a "new" camper for Mother's Day this year (such an awesome step up from tent camping!) The first mod I did to it was to create a hidden spot with easy access to the port-a-potty. I first cut out a spot in the dinette seat closest to the door, keeping the cutout to reuse as an access door to that area. Then I blocked off the rest of the dinette seat to keep the potty separate from the rest of the storage. To create an access door for my new potty hiding spot, I carefully removed the mirror from the left side of the door, then used it to frame my original cutout to make a more aesthetic looking door. I added hinges, a knob, and a roller catch to hold the door closed, and voila! A nice way to hide the potty!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200526_125018.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	245118   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200526_134930.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	262.5 KB
ID:	245119   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200526_134948.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	245120  
curran4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:02 PM   #2

Nice job. Looks exactly the potty storage cabinet on our old 1987 Jayco 1006 popup.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:10 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Great job! We had a pop-up with potty storage just like it!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 10:18 PM   #4

That was a great idea. This is something my wife would especially like. Did you use a PP that came with the trailer? Or did you buy a new one? Our 2021 TB12 came with one, but I haven’t even opened the box yet. We have only been on 1 trip however, only owned the trailer for 3 weeks now. Our first trip had a very nice bathroom on site that was only about 30 yards away. Still though, it would have been nice not to have to get dressed, grab a flashlight, and walk those 30 yards at 4:00 in the morning, in pouring rain.
normtrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 12:55 AM   #5

Hi Normtrom,

Yes, I used the one that came with the trailer. During the day, I use the restrooms at the campgrounds if one is close by, but at night it's nice to not have to find the flashlight and go out in the cold. I also have a very strict "no poo" rule to help keep the PP cleaner. I call it my "no poo loo". It's very easy to use, and I just dump it out at the campground restrooms (you can just pour the contents down the toilet and flush) at the end of the trip before I close down the camper.
Old 01-01-2021, 01:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by curran4life View Post
Hi Normtrom,

Yes, I used the one that came with the trailer. During the day, I use the restrooms at the campgrounds if one is close by, but at night it's nice to not have to find the flashlight and go out in the cold. I also have a very strict "no poo" rule to help keep the PP cleaner. I call it my "no poo loo". It's very easy to use, and I just dump it out at the campground restrooms (you can just pour the contents down the toilet and flush) at the end of the trip before I close down the camper.
Ha! I have to say I like your rules! My wife and I have had the same conversation. I mean we don’t have a lot of square footage, so yes.....I think you need some rules! Regardless, very nicely done!
Old 01-01-2021, 10:41 AM   #7

Is there a reason this works better for you than the normal location? Seems harder to access unless you don’t have the table in lace.
PapaGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 01:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaGlenn View Post
Is there a reason this works better for you than the normal location? Seems harder to access unless you don’t have the table in lace.
I don’t mean to hijack this thread, but where exactly is the “normal” location? Is it to the right of where she put it? Under the dinette seat, but where the cabinet door is? We didn’t even discuss this during our training when we picked up our trailer. Again, sorry for a newbie question.
Old 01-01-2021, 02:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtrum View Post
I don’t mean to hijack this thread, but where exactly is the “normal” location? Is it to the right of where she put it? Under the dinette seat, but where the cabinet door is? We didn’t even discuss this during our training when we picked up our trailer. Again, sorry for a newbie question.
Yes, that is where it was designed to live. It’s made so you can just open the door and slide it out. Leaves the other end of the bench storage accessible by the outside storage door.

We put a plastic storage bin in the middle of the bench storage area to store paper goods and other bulk items that aren’t accessed often. The potty goes on one side and shoes go on the other side (accessible from the outside door.
Old 01-01-2021, 02:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaGlenn View Post
Yes, that is where it was designed to live. It’s made so you can just open the door and slide it out. Leaves the other end of the bench storage accessible by the outside storage door.

We put a plastic storage bin in the middle of the bench storage area to store paper goods and other bulk items that aren’t accessed often. The potty goes on one side and shoes go on the other side (accessible from the outside door.
Ok got it! Thanks for the information. I do like what she did, however for me at least I would have to move/collapse my dinette table every time. This kind of stuff will really come in to play when we start to go off grid. I’ll need to figure something out.
Old 01-02-2021, 10:18 AM   #11

PapaGlenn - The "normal" place (or at least where the PP was when I purchase the camper used) is in the door at the end of the dinette seat. I wanted that space to put additional easy-access storage for kitchen items. I purchased a plastic slide out drawer that fits perfectly inside that cabinet, and I store cups, mugs, snacks, and a few other kitchen items in there. I also switched the way this door opens so it no longer blocks the door. Most of my cooking/living is done outside, and I set up my grill and table on the outside of the camper. So rather than having to go inside to get any utensils or commonly used kitchen items, I can just reach inside the door, open the cabinet, pull out the plastic drawer, and get most of whatever I need.

Also, one of the next mods I did was remove the bulky heavy dinette table and store it in the garage. I purchased a small folding plastic table at Walmart, but we've never even used it inside the camper. Instead, we use the dinette area as an open seating. See this post/thread for my inspiration:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ame-64017.html

The potty door I created opens up under the shelf so I'm still able to access it.

Here's a pic of my outdoor kitchen set-up. I did a mod to the grill rack so I could use my Blackstone griddle instead of the bulky grill that came with the camper (also now stored in the garage). I'll see if I can get a pic of the open door to the dinette seat with the plastic storage drawer inside.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20201017_162217.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	329.7 KB
ID:	245380   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201018_104805.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	245381  
Old 01-02-2021, 12:21 PM   #12

curran4life - thanks for the reply. Makes sense seeing how you’ve set up your trailer.
Old 01-02-2021, 02:02 PM   #13

Dinette table mod

Quote:
Ok got it! Thanks for the information. I do like what she did, however for me at least I would have to move/collapse my dinette table every time. This kind of stuff will really come in to play when we start to go off grid. I’ll need to figure something out.
We use our dinette as a reading nook (and occasionally as a dinette) when weather or the early Nov/Dec darkness forces us inside earlier than we are ready to sleep. The folding mechanism of the table legs was unacceptably tough to use, and took up way too much space under the table. So we went to a combination pedestal/front wall mount for the factory dinette table. Details are in this thread: https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...od-211747.html

One of the side benefits was much, much easier access to the under seat storage on both sides. If you have a high wall, table can remain in the up position when roof is folded down. Not sure about the standard height A-frames.

hope this helps with some ideas
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 05:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
We use our dinette as a reading nook (and occasionally as a dinette) when weather or the early Nov/Dec darkness forces us inside earlier than we are ready to sleep. The folding mechanism of the table legs was unacceptably tough to use, and took up way too much space under the table. So we went to a combination pedestal/front wall mount for the factory dinette table. Details are in this thread: https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...od-211747.html

One of the side benefits was much, much easier access to the under seat storage on both sides. If you have a high wall, table can remain in the up position when roof is folded down. Not sure about the standard height A-frames.

hope this helps with some ideas
Fred W
Hi Fred - even tough this is not my thread, thank you so much for posting the link to your “ pedestal“ thread. That was a great idea. As I mentioned on a few of my posts, we did a horrible job at both packing, and storing everything for a 5 day “first trip”. One of our biggest hassles was the dinette. We ended up just collapsing the table, and left the cushions on top. 1/2 of it we used for some storage containers (way to big btw), and the other 1/2 was there for my Border Collie Cody Mack. We struggled with many of the things you mentioned. There was very little useable space underneath, since it was cold and rainy...and this is a beachfront park, there was all kinds of dirt and small rocks underneath, no matter how well we thought we were wiping our boots...or cleaning Cody up. Plus because that’s where one of the heating ports are....it was hot as hell under there. It was really just a place to dump our stuff. Being our first ever trip, this was a big learning experience, and we plan on being much more organized when we go again next Saturday. I have already purchased a few accessories, like a wrap-around boot/shoe mat for the entry step, I pulled out my 3 month old DustBuster which worked great AFTER we got home, and I got some proper fitting collapsible organizers to fit perfectly under the hydraulic bed lift. I absolutely LOVE your pedestal mod though! SO MUCH more room!

One quick question though: when you do mods like these, are you concerned about the resale value? The only reason I ask is because we plan to keep our TB12 for 2-3 years, then we’re going after a NuCamp teardrop. One of the bigger ones like the Boondock 400.

Mike
Old 01-02-2021, 08:17 PM   #15

Quote:
One quick question though: when you do mods like these, are you concerned about the resale value? The only reason I ask is because we plan to keep our TB12 for 2-3 years, then we’re going after a NuCamp teardrop. One of the bigger ones like the Boondock 400.

Mike
Never thought we would sell our A122. But DW went through 2.5 years of chemo (now in remission). We needed a separate toilet in the camper because of the side effects. And we really wanted the extra space and flexibility of the T21TBHW (same as A213HW). So we sold the A122 for $10K (paid $11.5K 4 years earlier).

Buyer was really happy with my electrical mods. And I still had the RVQ and porta-potty, both unused.

I don't see any of my mods as being problematic to selling. We still have the original dinette legs stored, along with the boxed WiFi Ranger (dealer agreed not to install), and RVQ. Electrical mods are beneficial, as is facing one of the Cool Cat vents forward at the front end of the bunk. Basically, a buyer can easily undo most mods (including the duct) if they so desire.

But I have no reason to sell unless we make major changes in the way we camp. We tow with a minivan, and store the camper in a normal garage stall, so are pretty well maxed out with current setup. A bigger camper would take major changes in tow vehicle, camper, and storage.

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 08:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
Never thought we would sell our A122. But DW went through 2.5 years of chemo (now in remission). We needed a separate toilet in the camper because of the side effects. And we really wanted the extra space and flexibility of the T21TBHW (same as A213HW). So we sold the A122 for $10K (paid $11.5K 4 years earlier).

Buyer was really happy with my electrical mods. And I still had the RVQ and porta-potty, both unused.

I don't see any of my mods as being problematic to selling. We still have the original dinette legs stored, along with the boxed WiFi Ranger (dealer agreed not to install), and RVQ. Electrical mods are beneficial, as is facing one of the Cool Cat vents forward at the front end of the bunk. Basically, a buyer can easily undo most mods (including the duct) if they so desire.

But I have no reason to sell unless we make major changes in the way we camp. We tow with a minivan, and store the camper in a normal garage stall, so are pretty well maxed out with current setup. A bigger camper would take major changes in tow vehicle, camper, and storage.

Fred W
Thank you! Very good to know. I honestly think that your mods would actually be a bonus, if for whatever reason you DID decide to sell. I showed my wife the pics from your “pedestal” mod, and she instantly wanted ME to do the same! I also really like the PP mod from the OP, since it opens up the the outside “pass through” door.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:39 PM   #17

Here are the pics of the door and drawer at the end of the dinette seat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210102_113526.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	358.4 KB
ID:	245414   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210102_113521.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	309.8 KB
ID:	245415   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210102_113506.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	349.4 KB
ID:	245416   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210102_113514.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	361.5 KB
ID:	245417  
Old 01-03-2021, 11:09 PM   #18

Hi curran - do you happen to have the dimensions for that container? It looks like a perfect fit. Just the height and width possibly? Now PLEASE don’t go outside to take measurements LOL! It’s way to late. Just maybe...whenever.
Mike.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:25 PM   #19

It's the "Sterilite small deep modular drawer white". I got it at Target. The dimensions are Overall Assembled Size: 17" x 14 3/8" x 10 1/4"

I didn't even have to get up from my chair to get that information.
Quote:
Hi curran - do you happen to have the dimensions for that container? It looks like a perfect fit. Just the height and width possibly? Now PLEASE don’t go outside to take measurements LOL! It’s way to late. Just maybe...whenever.
Mike.
Old 01-09-2021, 12:01 PM   #20
World Traveler Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curran4life View Post
Hi Normtrom,

I had my trailer since 2014 and it came with a toilet shower stall and I also have been using it as a No Poo system also. But nowadays with the Covid-19, I am trying to figure out how to use it for Poo without it going into the tank-like with bags or some system since I want to camp away from others and still be fully functional.