Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2018, 06:25 AM   #1
2016 A192HW

Hitch Setup

Can you please critique my hitch setup.

I have a 2016 Rockwood 192HW. Tow vehicle is 2013 Toyota Venza V6. Husky Center Line TS weight distribution hitch.

The black hitch piece drags on my driveway. Can I add a skid roller? Adjust the height? Am I overloaded?

Thanks!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6177.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	316.0 KB
ID:	161163Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5333.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	333.1 KB
ID:	161164Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5331.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	325.2 KB
ID:	161165
ggopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:49 AM   #2

Dont think your over loaded, your sitting just about level. Problem is ur car sits low. Go to a machine shop and have them cut off the excess to make it shorter.
cmysstailights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:49 AM   #3

When all said and done...everything should be level/even. The front and back of your Rockwood should be the same height from the ground to the bottom of your RV. Same with your TV. Front and rear of your TV should be the same height from the ground to the top of the wheel well.

Could be the picture, but it looks like your RV is lower in the front than the back?

Is the rear of your TV sagging in the rear?
Old 01-29-2018, 07:11 AM   #4
2016 A192HW

Everything was installed by the dealer. But they were not very helpful. And never measure my vehicle before.

Turns out the black piece (shank) can be inverted for low vehicles.

Yes my TV is sagging a bit. Not sure if this change will help that problem.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0472.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	161169
Old 01-29-2018, 07:34 AM   #5
Just as confused as you

I agree with KRSmitty. You don't need to cut anything off as cmysstaillights suggests. To get extra ground clearance disassemble the shank and hitch head, flip the shank over into the UP position and reassemble. Be sure to get the bolts torqued to the proper specs when you tighten everything.

Your photo of the installation document shows what I talking about in the first image.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggopher View Post
Everything was installed by the dealer. But they were not very helpful. And never measure my vehicle before.

Turns out the black piece (shank) can be inverted for low vehicles.

Yes my TV is sagging a bit. Not sure if this change will help that problem.

Attachment 161169
The problem with that is, just from looking at the photo, if you invert it the hitch head will come up around 3 inches or so. That could possibly put it nose high on the trailer which could lead to sway issues if not careful.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:46 AM   #7

He can move the head up without inverting, which would be less than 3".

I would adjust the bars tighter (adjusting the brackets on the trailer up a hole)...
Could tip the head down, which also makes the bars tighter. That lifts the squat out some.

Careful though, when I had my hitch per the book (2306 on a 3/4 ton truck), I didn't like the feel. I loosened my bars a link (chain type) and it is better. I need to adjust the head a bit so it's not a full link looser, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Some squat is fine, if it tows right. Without experience though, knowing what "right" is can be difficult.

I'd have no issue hacksawing off the extra drop on the hitch once it's dialed in. Just know someday you may need a new drop....
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post

I would adjust the bars tighter (adjusting the brackets on the trailer up a hole)...
Could tip the head down, which also makes the bars tighter. That lifts the squat out some.

Careful though, when I had my hitch per the book (2306 on a 3/4 ton truck), I didn't like the feel. I loosened my bars a link (chain type) and it is better. I need to adjust the head a bit so it's not a full link looser, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Some squat is fine, if it tows right. Without experience though, knowing what "right" is can be difficult.

I'd have no issue hacksawing off the extra drop on the hitch once it's dialed in. Just know someday you may need a new drop....

I agree. I just wanted to point out that flipping the shank to clear the driveway probably won’t work.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:36 PM   #9
Just as confused as you

By looking at his pics it's the shank that is dragging. If he flips the hitch shank he will gain 1-1/2 to 2 inches of ground clearance. He may have to use the bottom 2 holes for the hitch head to get it back to level.

I suggest you download and print the following document so you have it on hand whenever you need it. Keep a copy in the TV glovebox or in your trailer. It might be smart to have a copy in both in case one gets damaged or lost.
http://www.huskytow.com/wp-includes/pdfs/Literature//32215,%2032216,%2032217,%2032218,%2033039%20&%2033 092%20Instructions.pdf

I know many people think that having the document on a smartphone is the way to go, but I find it easier if I have a hard copy. That way I can go back and read something I may have trouble with. And some campgrounds don't have good cell access.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:31 PM   #10
Just as confused as you

Quote:

If you look close the shank is installed with the longest part down. If he flips the shank then the shortest part will be downward. Also looking closely you will see that it is the shank that is dragging on the ground and not the head.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
If you look close the shank is installed with the longest part down. If he flips the shank then the shortest part will be downward. Also looking closely you will see that it is the shank that is dragging on the ground and not the head.
Sure, but he's got some droop/nose down going on too. Someone claimed 3" rise to flip it, which may be too much. That claim may not be true, either. Regardless, some adjustments seem in order.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
He may have to use the bottom 2 holes for the hitch head to get it back to level.
He's out of holes at that point. When flipped, his bottom head bolt will have to go where the top one is currently.

Quote:
Sure, but he's got some droop/nose down going on too. Someone claimed 3" rise to flip it, which may be too much. That claim may not be true, either. Regardless, some adjustments seem in order.
My comment above is why I said about three inches higher (about the distance between the head bolts). It may or may not wind up in an acceptable height..depending on how nose down it is now. But yes, you're right, I'd start over and remeasure everything and make sure it's right anyway. One thing I can say for sure is that the bar angle and brackets are off. They should be closer to parallel to the frame when loaded (but never pointed upwards).
Old 01-29-2018, 10:30 PM   #13
2016 A192HW

Thanks for all the tips. Sounds like I have a winter project. Going to go to the weigh scale and check all the measurements. I will keep you posted.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:42 PM   #14

maybe add air lift spring to minimize rear end sag...

https://www.airliftcompany.com/

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggopher View Post
Can you please critique my hitch setup.

I have a 2016 Rockwood 192HW. Tow vehicle is 2013 Toyota Venza V6. Husky Center Line TS weight distribution hitch.

The black hitch piece drags on my driveway. Can I add a skid roller? Adjust the height? Am I overloaded?

Thanks!Attachment 161163Attachment 161164Attachment 161165

I have the same car. The weight distribution hitch is a upper design. It has sway tightening control if needed. The car is a low rider. Works great. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0074.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	449.2 KB
ID:	161227
guardingliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:52 PM   #16
2016 A192HW

Thanks for example on the same vehicle. That looks much better. I will try flipping the shank to the UP position. But will be sure to get all the proper measurements.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:59 PM   #17

great info....
dmo
Old 01-31-2018, 07:15 PM   #18

Quick-and-dirty instructions:

With the TT unhitched, use the tongue jack to level the trailer. Then measure the height of the coupler on the TT. That's how high your ball needs to be on your Venza BEFORE you put the TT on it.

Then, measure the height of the front and rear wheel wells of the Venza.

Now put the TT on the Venza. The rear will sag and the front will rise. Now adjust your hitch bars to raise the rear and drop the front. You want to get to within about 1/2" of the non-loaded measurements.

You may need to play with removing/adding washers.

Here's the manual.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Husky Centerline manual.pdf (4.03 MB, 36 views)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Quick-and-dirty instructions:

With the TT unhitched, use the tongue jack to level the trailer. Then measure the height of the coupler on the TT. That's how high your ball needs to be on your Venza BEFORE you put the TT on it.

Then, measure the height of the front and rear wheel wells of the Venza.

Now put the TT on the Venza. The rear will sag and the front will rise. Now adjust your hitch bars to raise the rear and drop the front. You want to get to within about 1/2" of the non-loaded measurements.

You may need to play with removing/adding washers.

Here's the manual.

That’s it! Thanks
guardingliberty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch