Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2022, 11:45 PM   #21

Two weeks in the summer is the most we typically keep water in the system if it’s not being circulated( used). Found the it can become foul shortly beyond that time frame.

Usually 4 -6 weeks in the fall/winters/spring.

Also, suburban recommends
Teflon.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/v/vsp...stallation.pdf

2020 Rockwood 2104S
2019 Ram 2500 Crew 4x4 6.7 cummins
theHookers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 06:32 AM   #22

Let the anode do it’s job

If the anode rod is not completely submerged in water it cannot do it’s job which is to prevent the tank from rusting away. So if you drain the tank you have to be able to really dry it out which is hard.
hreimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 07:57 AM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmarako View Post
I get what your saying but running any water through the water heater will push crud through your system. If the crud is loose enough to get sucked out the cold water line when using the low point drains it should also be running out the hot water line when in use.

Jim M.
Because if you open the low point drain it's possible that it will suck water out of the cold line which is at the bottom of the tank.

During normal use of the WH, the water only comes out of the hot line which is at the top.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 08:08 AM   #24

I'm assuming OP has an A-frame camper. In all but one floor plan, there is only the outside shower and the galley sink that tie to the hot water. And only 2 models have a toilet tied to cold water. The plumbing is very simple. The low point drains are located as part of the plumbing to the water heater, usually on the inside of the water heater. For these reasons, I don't worry about using the low point drains to drain my water heater. The crud just isn't going to get pushed anywhere else.

When trailering my A-frame, I relieve the water pressure by turning off the pump and opening the outside shower valves for a minute. Once pressure is way down, I close the outside shower valves. Why? Because I have experienced water pressure build up from a hot sun on the folded A-frame that caused the water pump to lock up. If I relieve pressure before folding down, I never have an issue. By turning off the water pump while trailering, I save the water pump from running dry - another bad experience.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2022 Hyundai Palisade
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 02:01 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaspud View Post
I usually use my camper about once per month. I typically drain all of the water out of the fresh water tank between trips and put fresh water in before departing. Does anyone have a good way for me to empty the hot water tank? I COULD take the anode out but its not really designed for frequent removal. I thought I once saw an anode with a built in drain tap but haven't be able to locate one. Does anyone have any suggestions?
You can try opening the pressure relief valve and then opening the low point drain on the red line, but not sure there is any true way to empty the hot water heater but the anode rod opening.

But if you use the thing once a week why would you?
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 02:10 PM   #26
Part-Time Campground Host

I pull the anode once a year and use this gadget to clean all the crude out.
Attached Images

Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1687
cboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 02:58 PM   #27
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Opening the low point drains without first putting your water heater valves into bypass mode can draw crud from the bottom of your hot water tank into the rest of the plumbing. That crud will then get pushed into valves and aerators.

For those who only drain their hot water tank once a year, I hope you’re circulating water through your water heater regularly. I know you’ll say “we don’t drink the water” but if you leave a jug of water in a hot room for a week or a month would you use that water to wash with?
Once camping season starts I don't drain the water heater until it gets winterized. I also don't drain the water heater at my house before I go camping for a week.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 03:12 PM   #28

I’ve had my trailer 3 years,, mostly weekend camping, once per month, May through October. One or two week campouts per year in that 3 years. I have only drained the hot water tank at the time of winterizing. The anode has 3 or more years left in it. I typically run fresh water a little to visually check water quality before turn the heater on. I always use a water filter. I never carry my own water (I don’t boondock…yet). Having said all that, I’m from New England and my camping has been most of the eastern states from Kentucky north. I can’t speak about water quality in other parts of the country. It never hurts to be cautious!! Good luck and happy camping!
rskiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 04:40 PM   #29
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmarako View Post
I get what your saying but running any water through the water heater will push crud through your system. If the crud is loose enough to get sucked out the cold water line when using the low point drains it should also be running out the hot water line when in use.

Jim M.
Nope,

The crud settles to the bottom of the tank during normal use and never makes it out the hot outlet near the top of the tank.

If your theory was true, there would never be any crud in a R/V water heater (it would be self removing during use) and that's simply not the case.

Do as you'd like.
Here's what the toilet valve inlet screen looks like when using the low point drains to drain the water heater...
Name:   Toilet_Supply_Valve_Clogged.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  21.2 KB

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 06:35 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitexc View Post
^^^I agree. I too open the low point drains after each trip along with a faucet or two.
x3

And BTW - I tried the anode rod with the valve on the end and it's almost impossible to get it shut tight enough to stop leaking.
rwriley1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 05:59 AM   #31
JCR

Much of that white is plastic shavings from manufacturing I removed my screen to prevent toilet valve from clogging.
JCR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, hot water, tank, water, water tank