RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #1
Threegeeks

how to turn on hot water the right way?

Rockwood A124, 2012. We turn on propanes tanks, we tun on the hot water button and watch the red light came on for a little bet. The questions is the hot water tank that we suppose to have it filled up with water is where? We have the water supply line hook up to the camper, and it is on. Would that automaticly flow to the hot water tank and filled it up? Or are we suppose to fill up the portable water tank? Also, do we leave the hot water switch on even after the red light went off? Is water pump also suppose to be turn on for the hot water heater to work? Our dealer didn't tell us these information and we didnt know what to asked until now....while we are camping inthe middle of no where.
U.S. Army Veterans
threegeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #2

Water supply line being hooked up and on should fill your hot water heater. But before you try heating up the water you want to double check and make sure you do indeed have water in the heater. It should have an outside access door and the heater should have a valve with a little lever that you can pull/press to see if you have water in the tank. If no water is in the heater, you can burn up components and the repair bills start adding up.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old car View Post
Water supply line being hooked up and on should fill your hot water heater. But before you try heating up the water you want to double check and make sure you do indeed have water in the heater. It should have an outside access door and the heater should have a valve with a little lever that you can pull/press to see if you have water in the tank. If no water is in the heater, you can burn up components and the repair bills start adding up.
Old car is right, I would add, NEVER turn on the water heater until you have verified the tank is full by flipping the little lever on the water heater and getting water out of it. ONLY then, turn on the water heater from inside the camper. If you turn on the elec. portion of the water heater and there is no water in the tank, it will burn up the element within minutes. Again, once you have verified the tank is full, you can turn both modes of heating, propane & electric. (the electric switch is on the water heater itself)
Old 07-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
Threegeeks

Thank you! I found the little lever outside and it does have water. When do I turn off the water heater switch inside? After the red switch goes off, after the water gets hot or after i am done using it? Also, does the water pump need to be on during these process or can we leave it off since we have a water supply line runnung into the camper?
U.S. Army Veterans
Old 07-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #5

If you have a water supply you shouldn't need your pump at all. If you want hot water the whole time you are camping I would leave it on, as long as you have full propane tanks you will be good.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #6

The inside switch should control your propane which heats up the water quicker than electric. I usually turn on the inside switch and let it run about 20 minutes and then turn it off. After a few minutes of the propane heating up the water I turn on the electric switch (should be a rocker switch in the same area where you found the valve lever to check if you have water in the heater) and then I leave the electric on all the time until we break camp. You can run both together to get the fastest hot water recovery but I usually cut of the propane and use the electric since it is already paid for with the campsite fee.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #7

If the a124 is like my a126 there is no electric element. Only gas.

Turn in the heater after verifying the tank is full. Once hot it will shut off and only cycle back in when the tank drops below the thermostat set point, which you cannot change on the A-series campers.

For a one day trip I will turn the heater switch off after the water is hit and it cycles off. That will provide enough hot water for us ( hand washing and an occasional dish or two). If you use your shower in your a124 just leave the heater on until you break camp. It won't use much gas.

Enjoy your a-frame!
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:43 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by threegeeks View Post
Thank you! I found the little lever outside and it does have water. When do I turn off the water heater switch inside? After the red switch goes off, after the water gets hot or after i am done using it? Also, does the water pump need to be on during these process or can we leave it off since we have a water supply line runnung into the camper?
We never turn the propane on the water heater off. We camp for 2-1/2-3 months in FL every yr and have never used 30# of propane even with the refrigerator, cooktop and bbq grill being used every day. We leave both the propane and elec element on the water heater. You get faster recovery when using hot water and the elec. keeps it hot. The only time the propane comes on is when you are taking a shower or using a large quantity of hot water. Otherwise the propane doesn't come on.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:01 AM   #9
Threegeeks

Thanks all, after we turn on both propane tanks slowly and waited for a little while, we couldn't find the electric switch outside but was able to turn on the hot water switch from the inside (propane) . After the red light went off we waited 20 mins and turn off the switch. Got hot water but it smells and the water looks white...so we run the water until its turn cold (twice), and and the third time the smells went away and water run clear. We also have to stop running the AC and other appliances before turning on the hot water heater (otherwise, it will make loud popping sound) and the inside switch would tell us to reset. We truely appreciated all these posts above and the hot shower sure was nice. We are on our first camping trip in Whispering Hills RV Park in Ohio and this is such a wonderful experience even when we didn't know how to operate the casssette toilet or the hot water...and the internet is down.We have to walk around the camp site just to find a spot that give us a cell phone signal. We truely enjoy waking up to the rolling hills or going to sleep under the moon...thanks all!
U.S. Army Veterans
Old 07-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #10

I don't know if my A122 is diff from yours but I just hook up the water source and open the sink or shower faucets until the air gets out of the system and the water flows freely. I turn on one (1) propane tank...the one that is selected with the knob near the regulator. The green dot tells you which of the two tanks is selected. I hit the reset switch and the water tank fires up and cycles on and off as it needs it. The fresh water tank and the sink pump are not used if you have a good water source hooked up to the trailer, they are used for "dry camping" in places that don't provide water hookups.
toleworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #11

A+ with tolworks ...

d-mo
Old 07-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #12

I agree with the above. Hook up the water and turn on the faucets, both hot and cold until all the air is out of the system. Then light the hot water heater. When packing up, drain all the water from your fresh water hose. When hooking up on your next trip, hook up the fresh water hose to the supply and flush it completely. When the fresh water hose runs clean ( no more rust) hook it up while the hose is full. This will keep most of the air from re-entering your water system and ensure a clean supply. Be sure to drain the water tank when winterizing so the water doesn't freeze and crack the tank. It is probably the most expensive part of the water system. Good luck.
CCrane2299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:43 PM   #13

One word: Amen
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #14
Threegeeks

Our last night at the camp, the electricity went out at the campground and came right back but we have to reset the breaker on our lot. Since then, we can't get the hot water tanks to come on from the inside switch. It would make a loud pop sound and tell us to "reset". A few guys camping next to us, shows us how to light it manualy from the back panel and it will work, but we have to light it each time the hot water run out, if we need more hot water. I was wondering if the electricity went out could do something to the hot water tank? We are going to camp again this weekend but our RV dealer can't look at the problem for a couple more weeks.
U.S. Army Veterans