Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2012, 11:06 AM   #1

I have a brand new 2013 Flagstaff T12RB!

Yesterday I picked up my new T12RB and parked it in my driveway. My wife and I got to the dealership at 11:30 and waited 5 hours for them to install the hitch and electric braking system in a 2010 Subaru Forrester. The SUV performed better than I expected, although going uphill was slightly a different story. I got 18 mpg instead of 24 in the 2 hour drive home. I've not towed trailer before yesterday let alone try to back to back one up. I quickly learned that I need to practice, a lot! Luckily my neighbor came to the rescue and got my new RV off of the road and into the driveway. He said to use the bottom of the steering wheel instead of the top when backing up and turning the trailer.
The T12RB has everything I want in an RV with the exception of firmer dinette cushions which also double for bed cushions. I thought about a rollout support cushions that lay on top of the original cushions or have the cushions reupholstered for better support.
The unit has air conditioning, furnace, cable tv receptor, CD/radio/USB/memory card,port-a-potty,3 burner stove,microwave, fridge attachable gas grill and spare tire.
We plan to travel from New York to Raleigh NC this October if you happen to see a New York State license plate that reads HazelHut stop and say hello to
Ed and Nancy Hazel
beyond-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #2

Congrats on your new addition! I still have issues backing but eventually get it where I need it. I do the same thing with the hand on the bottom of the wheel. I'm not skilled and I cry uncle when I know my spouse is available to do it...otherwise, I have no choice and just make it happen. LOL

Let us know how your maiden voyage goes & dont hesitate to share you ideas/modifications or ask for help. Its amazing how much knowledge is at hand with the FRF group! So much experience on one website!

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond-there View Post
Yesterday I picked up my new T12RB and parked it in my driveway. My wife and I got to the dealership at 11:30 and waited 5 hours for them to install the hitch and electric braking system in a 2010 Subaru Forrester. The SUV performed better than I expected, although going uphill was slightly a different story. I got 18 mpg instead of 24 in the 2 hour drive home. I've not towed trailer before yesterday let alone try to back to back one up. I quickly learned that I need to practice, a lot! Luckily my neighbor came to the rescue and got my new RV off of the road and into the driveway. He said to use the bottom of the steering wheel instead of the top when backing up and turning the trailer.
The T12RB has everything I want in an RV with the exception of firmer dinette cushions which also double for bed cushions. I thought about a rollout support cushions that lay on top of the original cushions or have the cushions reupholstered for better support.
The unit has air conditioning, furnace, cable tv receptor, CD/radio/USB/memory card,port-a-potty,3 burner stove,microwave, fridge attachable gas grill and spare tire.
We plan to travel from New York to Raleigh NC this October if you happen to see a New York State license plate that reads HazelHut stop and say hello to
Ed and Nancy Hazel
Welcome to the fourms and congrats on your new Flagstaff!

Backing up can take some practice like you said. Believe me I know because I used to suck at it! I use one hand on the lower part of the steering wheel (& the other hand off) so I can see which way I am turning the wheel. Due to the type of anti-sway bar I have I remove it before backing up. It helps to be in a straight line to start when possbile but also knowing which direction your TV wheels are facing. I have to open the door and lean out to see the wheels because I'm short (5'2"). My sister was my helper in the beginning. It was entertaining watching two sisters trying to back up one trailer. Once sis was fired my backing up skills improved.

Find a big open lot and practice. Note where your TV wheels are facing and how the trailer react. Go slow and easy. You will learn when to apply corrections to get it where you want it. Don't strive to get it perfect as long as almost is good enough. Also I am learning that backing up into a campsite is easier from one direction than the other when given a choice.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
Flagstaff 22FBS

I see you have posted a few times, so welcome again and congrats on your new aframe!

One suggestion is to do at least one "driveway campout" before your big trip in October. Cook in it, fire up the water heater, wash dishes, run the AC/furnace and sleep in it just to become familiar with all the utilities. This is also a good way to find out what you need to pack along and make the experience more like home.

I particularly like the suggestion of taking your new rig to an open parking lot for practice backing. You may want to practice hitching up as well.

One important thing to remember, when you set up to camp, get your camper level (side to side) and, after you unhook, level front to back. Camping un-level can cause the refrigerator to not work properly. The stabilizing jacks are not for leveling. Most of us have 1x and 2x boards around and they'll do the trick under the wheels. Something like a 4x4 board can be used to chock the wheel for safety.

I imagine your mpg average will be less than normal while towing your new camper. As you become more comfortable and familiar with the nuances of towing, you may see improvement.

Good luck and have fun!

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
t12rb