RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-08-2020, 07:18 PM   #1

Question Ideas for Better Use of Space than Microwave?

Hi, everyone! We have a Forest River A122S A-Frame camper, and have decided to remove the microwave, because we don't use it, and it takes up so much space/weight. I'm trying to decided between the following;

1. Remove microwave, and build some kind of custom shelf/storage in the space where the microwave was.

2. Remove microwave, try to disassemble the little cabinet/counter the microwave was in, and modify it to reduce the depth of the cabinet, to open up some badly-needed floor space, in the middle of the camper.

#1 would be a lot easier, but I'm kind of thinking about #2 because we find it very hard to move around inside our A-frame, with us, and our kids.

If anyone has any insight or ideas or experience, I'm all ears!
choochooape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:25 PM   #2

#1. Shelves or even baskets would make good storage.
#2. You'll need to figure out if there is anything under that microwave before you start ripping it out. It's possible that there are plumbing or electrical connections under there.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:04 PM   #3

We just bought a T12RB (Flagstaff version of the A122). Our dealer pulled the microwave for us and installed a door (they said they do this often. The door on the under sink cabinet is the correct size so they ordered a replacement - just needs to be rotated 90 degrees). The space works awesome for a pantry. Easily fit a week’s worth of groceries for the two of us.

There is some wiring but it’s along the side and back wall so not a big deal.
PapaGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 11:15 PM   #4

I wanted a space to partially recess a standalone porta potty into on the floor, and I was not using the micro very often. So here is what I did. I have some photos of the early stages of this on a different computer that I will post another day when I think of it, along with the end result.

1. Removed microwave, the divider "shelf" underneath it, the drawer underneath, and all trim (everything except the sides and top of the cabinet)

2. Relocated the divider/shelf higher up in the cabinet enclosure so I could use it AS a shelf. I placed it closer to the top of the cabinet on wood slats I screwed onto the inside of the cabinet walls (I moved the slats from a different part of the inside of the cabinet - don't remember exactly where, offhand)

3. Assembled and screwed on a somewhat sloppy enclosure at the back left corner of the shelf to conceal the radio and wiring

4. Added a horizontal wood brace inside of the cabinet right along the inside edge of the wheel well; to this, and to the sides of the inside of the cabinet, I screwed on hardboard to cover the interior side "walls" of the cabinet.

This was a spring "COVID closures" project. (I also put in the porta potty due to the closures, thinking I might have to resort to more boondocking.) I am fairly happy with how it turned out. The main issues are some messy screw holes from the trim I removed; I filled them with wood filler and painted, and it's good enough for me because I'm not too big on aesthetics. There is more that could be done to finish it.

The only other thing that would be nice is if that darn wheel well were not in the way, but I still gained a pretty useful nook.

Nights camped in 2016: 37; 2017: 54; 2018: 47; 2019: 63; 2020: 53
JArry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 12:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaGlenn View Post
We just bought a T12RB (Flagstaff version of the A122). Our dealer pulled the microwave for us and installed a door (they said they do this often. The door on the under sink cabinet is the correct size so they ordered a replacement - just needs to be rotated 90 degrees). The space works awesome for a pantry. Easily fit a week’s worth of groceries for the two of us.

There is some wiring but it’s along the side and back wall so not a big deal.
Oh, snap! That seems like a good idea, getting that door, and using it as a pantry. I could cobble together something at the back for piece of mind, if needed- but you're right. The wiring is really minimal back there. Thanks so much for sharing!
Old 10-09-2020, 12:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
#1. Shelves or even baskets would make good storage.
#2. You'll need to figure out if there is anything under that microwave before you start ripping it out. It's possible that there are plumbing or electrical connections under there.
Yeah, I think I'm gonna go with #1. There is some wiring behind the microwave, but it's not too bad. It's way in the back, and securable. The wheel well sticks up a but under the cabinet, too.

Thanks!!
Old 10-09-2020, 12:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JArry View Post
I wanted a space to partially recess a standalone porta potty into on the floor, and I was not using the micro very often. So here is what I did. I have some photos of the early stages of this on a different computer that I will post another day when I think of it, along with the end result.

1. Removed microwave, the divider "shelf" underneath it, the drawer underneath, and all trim (everything except the sides and top of the cabinet)

2. Relocated the divider/shelf higher up in the cabinet enclosure so I could use it AS a shelf. I placed it closer to the top of the cabinet on wood slats I screwed onto the inside of the cabinet walls (I moved the slats from a different part of the inside of the cabinet - don't remember exactly where, offhand)

3. Assembled and screwed on a somewhat sloppy enclosure at the back left corner of the shelf to conceal the radio and wiring

4. Added a horizontal wood brace inside of the cabinet right along the inside edge of the wheel well; to this, and to the sides of the inside of the cabinet, I screwed on hardboard to cover the interior side "walls" of the cabinet.

This was a spring "COVID closures" project. (I also put in the porta potty due to the closures, thinking I might have to resort to more boondocking.) I am fairly happy with how it turned out. The main issues are some messy screw holes from the trim I removed; I filled them with wood filler and painted, and it's good enough for me because I'm not too big on aesthetics. There is more that could be done to finish it.

The only other thing that would be nice is if that darn wheel well were not in the way, but I still gained a pretty useful nook.
Thanks so much, friend!! I'm definitely going to go this route, and use that divider as a shelf. I really appreciate your time, thank you!
Old 10-10-2020, 09:20 AM   #8

Relocate microwave

I found that relocating the microwave had at least two advantages: the increased storage space available in that cabinet and the option of putting the microwave at a more convenient location, or just leave it at home if unused.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by choochooape View Post
Thanks so much, friend!! I'm definitely going to go this route, and use that divider as a shelf. I really appreciate your time, thank you!
Here are some photos of the finished (well, some may say unfinished) cabinet. Sorry they're not really nice - I just remembered to do this as I was emptying out the trailer for the season.

I'm not too worried about the "finishing" of the shelf since it is usually entirely covered with things. But I think next year I will get some molding to put over the row of screws in the hardboard.

I will post some of the "before" photos below.

Good luck if you take something like this on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1043.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	306.0 KB
ID:	241392   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1045.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	255.0 KB
ID:	241393   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1046.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	356.9 KB
ID:	241394   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1051.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	269.4 KB
ID:	241395   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1052.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	307.0 KB
ID:	241396  

Old 10-17-2020, 10:23 PM   #10

These are befores, just in case anyone is wondering what it looks like in there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0448.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	351.9 KB
ID:	241399   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0443.jpg
Size:	327.3 KB
ID:	241400   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0445.jpg
Size:	327.1 KB
ID:	241401  

Old 12-05-2020, 08:28 PM   #11
World Traveler Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vic View Post
I found that relocating the microwave had at least two advantages: the increased storage space available in that cabinet and the option of putting the microwave at a more convenient location, or just leave it at home if unused.
I like a microwave in my trailer but mine kept breaking the door hinge and so I removed it and put it in a basket with a strap to keep it in place. I bought a 900 watt smaller microwave that I now carry in the tow vehicle and just place it on the counter or on a small table by the front door next to the electric plug and it runs on my small Yamaha generator as needed if I am not hooked to power. We also use plastic tubs that fit under the trailer and we put items in them to increase space in the trailer.

Tags
microwave