Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2017, 10:34 AM   #1

If you could have a do-over...

Why oh why is there no happy medium? LOVE the height of the Rockwood ESP series A-Frames but long for the bed and dinette size of the A212HW... does the 6inches of bed and 5 inches of dinette make a difference? Are you wishing you had the High Wall or are you fine with the smaller version?

On a side note...is it possible to have the HW lifted? It has the Dexter Torflex axle...
410Trailrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:27 PM   #2

This is theoretical on my part - I tow with a minivan, and have the shortest A-frame (straight A122), so I have no reason to lift. I did take a look at doing a lift to get away from the 13" stock tires, but this was before Carlisle came out with their radial ST 13in tires in a Load Range D.

Beds and dinette are fine for us in the standard model. But we are not tall, either.

I don't see why you can't lift - you have to install spacers where the axle is mounted to the frame. This leaves the axle and torsion suspension unaffected. Lifting would also allow mounting of taller tires.

Negative effects of lifting - the step into the A-frame could be too high to be comfortable. And if you tow with a low slung vehicle like my minivan, the added rise needed on the hitch ball might become more than you want. And finally, if you store in the garage, the clearance for the garage door has to be watched.

Again, since I tow with a minivan, I do not want a high wall. That would push the trailer roof above my minivan roof, and wipe out any rear vision from the driver's seat. The extra frontal area and height would also be a concern towing with a 6 cylinder, naturally aspirated vehicle in the winds we have in the West.

That said, the biggest draws for me to the high wall are (I hope this is true) a little more headroom above the bed at the back end where the roof slopes down, and higher cabinet heights. The microwave is set pretty low in the standard model.

just my thoughts
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 04:45 PM   #3

Dexter does sell lift kits for their Tor-Flex axles. They are not very expensive.
Swampweasel is offline   Reply With Quote