RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Woods
Posts: 209
in the woods!!

Sending this from BBerry...camper is awesome. Listening to purple rain...lol. Son and I boondocking. Got the fire rollin' and the smores going down like water. We are in the middle of a couple thousand acres of timber. Thanks to those who spoke of not cranking down the stabilizers...really helps preserve the integrity of the camper when 200+ lbs is walking around.

LM
__________________
2012 Flagstaff T-12DD
2004 Chevy Suburban
2000 GMC Sierra Z-71
loganmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,499
awesome ! you sending pics tomorrow ?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Woods
Posts: 209
My goal is to conquer the photobucket thing. I will do my best to get an avatar and pics up..I know it help paint the picture.
__________________
2012 Flagstaff T-12DD
2004 Chevy Suburban
2000 GMC Sierra Z-71
loganmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
skullskidr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Watkinsville, GA
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by loganmartin View Post
Thanks to those who spoke of not cranking down the stabilizers...really helps preserve the integrity of the camper when 200+ lbs is walking around.

LM
Huh? I missed this one... My wife and daughter have big feet...please explain. TY
__________________
2012 Ford F350 Super Duty 4x4
ProPride 3P
2013 Windjammer 3006WK
1973 Camaro RS, LS6/475hp, 6spd
skullskidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Woods
Posts: 209
Basically use the stabilizers but don't make the platform ultra rigid so as to shake or seperate stuff loose.
__________________
2012 Flagstaff T-12DD
2004 Chevy Suburban
2000 GMC Sierra Z-71
loganmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
Member
 
b1b1das's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Texas
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by loganmartin View Post
Basically use the stabilizers but don't make the platform ultra rigid so as to shake or seperate stuff loose.

Enjoy your trip!

As for the quote, am I missing something?
__________________

2012 Stealth RG3210
2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab Laramie 4x4
2010 Ford F150 Super Crew Lariat 4x4

b1b1das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:15 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Woods
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1b1das View Post
Enjoy your trip!

As for the quote, am I missing something?
Sorry..BBery is very sloooooowwww. Just take it for what it is.
__________________
2012 Flagstaff T-12DD
2004 Chevy Suburban
2000 GMC Sierra Z-71
loganmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:07 AM   #8
Mostly Harmless
 
thehamguy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Central Iowa
Posts: 835
Way to go!!! Just dive in and camp the heck out of that thing! I'm jealous; Mar. 31 is opening day for our fav campground. We may have to sneak in ahead of time somehow...
__________________
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
Lee, WU0V, and Courtenay, N0ZDT
2011 Rockwood A128
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #9
Mostly Harmless
 
thehamguy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Central Iowa
Posts: 835
Ok, LM, you've had a campout now. So tell us all about it! We're all anxious to get our own units on the road but until we can we'll hang on every word from those who've been out. I'm hoping to get out next weekend. Help me survive until then!
__________________
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
Lee, WU0V, and Courtenay, N0ZDT
2011 Rockwood A128
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
trudinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post
Ok, LM, you've had a campout now. So tell us all about it! We're all anxious to get our own units on the road but until we can we'll hang on every word from those who've been out. I'm hoping to get out next weekend. Help me survive until then!
X2....can't WAIT to get this thing on the road!!! I'm thinking we'll have the typical April weather instead of the beautiful March weather we've been experiencing. Oh well.....at least we'll be camping!
__________________
2012 Rockwood 8293RKSS
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins Turbodiesel 4x4; 2012 Ford Escape 4x4. 3 very pampered cats.
Days camped: 2011: 61; 2012: 66 Days; 2013: 69;2014: 68 2015: 90 Days camped 2016: 34
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Woods
Posts: 209
Ham....no worries. I'll get some free time later today and give a full write up...
__________________
2012 Flagstaff T-12DD
2004 Chevy Suburban
2000 GMC Sierra Z-71
loganmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Woods
Posts: 209
OK..so the maiden voyage was a big success. My son and I headed out to some leased property on the South Fork of the Broad river here in NE Georgia...We're talking about a completely primitive campsite here. Picture a few thousand acres of mixed hardwoods and pine with several creeks, beaver ponds, granite quarry's and a river. The nearest town was Elberton, the "Granite Capitol of the World." These large deposits of granite expose themselves in steep outcroppings and result in good bit of vertical terrain...not to mention crystal clear quarry ponds 100 ft. deep.

The biggest obstacle in reaching the campsite was the entrance to the camp road. It was about a 2' deep by 2' wide ditch. I had prepared for this crossing by bring 8 of the prepackaged firewood that comes in the red nylon bags. It made the perfect land bridge to keep the camper from harm and allow access to the camp. It was a bit of a hassle but worth the trouble.

A few random thoughts on the camper:

1. I have ALOT to learn about the systems and how to get the highest efficiency out of them. I have a basic understanding but I will learn alot more in my driveway this week.

2. The unit is just airtight enough. I found a few things I need to tweak as far as the gaskets are concerned but I like that it will breath a little too.

3. We did not even use the furnace Sat. night when it got down to 50 degrees...Beats the heck out of a tent! It is also nice to roll out of bed in your underwear and throw the percolator on the stove...ahhhh the luxury of it all.

4. I crawled beneath the camper some more and decided I wanted to spray the underside with some of the aerosol bedliner coating. I wonder if it will adhere to wood?

5. I am going to do a screen door mod a la hamguy sometime soon.

All in all I am very pleased with my new A-frame. The attachment has already begun. Next week is a trip to some lake property in Alabama with the DW and kids...I better study up quick on those systems. It will be more dry camping with some great scenery. I can't wait. The DW is already shopping for 19" LCD TV/DVD combos....anybody have any recommendations? Thanks again for the help getting started and hope everybody gets on the road sooner than later.

LM
__________________
2012 Flagstaff T-12DD
2004 Chevy Suburban
2000 GMC Sierra Z-71
loganmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:36 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Mike G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 231
Sounds like you had a good trip! I purchased a 22'' combo TV/DVD at Best Buy and it works great. It fits on the counter above the microwave perfect. I store it in a large plastic container from Walmart that has a snap-on lid, this helps keep it clean and protected. I transport it in the back of my 4Runner to avoid it from bouncing around in the camper.

Link for TV.

Dynex™ - 24" Class / 1080p / 60Hz / LCD HDTV DVD Combo - DX-24LD230A12

I still back pack and tent camp, but I still love watching a movie while I`m laying on my heated mattress.
__________________
________________________
2012 A122 (SOLD)

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Woods
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Sounds like you had a good trip! I purchased a 22'' combo TV/DVD at Best Buy and it works great. It fits on the counter above the microwave perfect. I store it in a large plastic container from Walmart that has a snap-on lid, this helps keep it clean and protected. I transport it in the back of my 4Runner to avoid it from bouncing around in the camper.

Link for TV.

Dynex™ - 24" Class / 1080p / 60Hz / LCD HDTV DVD Combo - DX-24LD230A12

I still back pack and tent camp, but I still love watching a movie while I`m laying on my heated mattress.
That's funny. I had kinda zeroed in on the 19" Dynex. Are you supposed to keep these TV's in an upright position or can you lay them on their side for storage?

LM
__________________
2012 Flagstaff T-12DD
2004 Chevy Suburban
2000 GMC Sierra Z-71
loganmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Jeep4Two's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by loganmartin

That's funny. I had kinda zeroed in on the 19" Dynex. Are you supposed to keep these TV's in an upright position or can you lay them on their side for storage?

LM
Keep the front of the screen safe and their storage (or operating position for that matter) makes no difference. Not like CRT's that would get all goofy if they were stored in non standard positions then moved to normal. No magnetic concerns with LCD's.
__________________
Jeep4Two
2011 FR Rockwood Premiere A126 Hard Side
TV=2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2 Dr
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:48 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Mike G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 231
^^What he said^^

My tv has a nice stable base and it looks like it was made for that area.
__________________
________________________
2012 A122 (SOLD)

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:13 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
skullskidr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Watkinsville, GA
Posts: 126
Hey LoganMartin,
I live just outside of Athens. I too have been down the Broad river and swam in a couple of those quarry lakes!
__________________
2012 Ford F350 Super Duty 4x4
ProPride 3P
2013 Windjammer 3006WK
1973 Camaro RS, LS6/475hp, 6spd
skullskidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:53 AM   #18
Member
 
OutAndAbout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 79
Lucky dog. Savor a little for me.
__________________
Never try to teach a pig to sing, it's a waste of time and annoys the hell out of the pig.
OutAndAbout
2014 Rockwood A122S
2014 Tacoma 4x4
OutAndAbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Milford, MA
Posts: 445
On the bedliner, inquire with the factory and the dealer before doing so, you may be voiding an important warranty in weatherproofing that surface. The wood used is designed for the environment it is in, with care it should hold up well. There is probably a pamphlet in your packet of goodies you got on delivery with info about the plywood used.

This from another forum on forest river and weyerhauser structurewood used in the floors of these campers....

Our use of Structurwood® is so dependable that Weyerhaeuser agrees with our practice of not coating the exposed bottom surfaces. “Weyerhaeuser agrees with FTCA, Inc.’s practice of not coating the exposed bottom surface of the Structurwood® panels used in their trailers. In our opinion, moisture from occupancy load, or from other internal or external sources may become trapped in the Structurwood® substrate if it is coated on the underside with a system that impairs the ability of the substrate to dry thoroughly. Trapped moisture, over time may cause premature decay or rot.”
rawlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Woods
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post
On the bedliner, inquire with the factory and the dealer before doing so, you may be voiding an important warranty in weatherproofing that surface. The wood used is designed for the environment it is in, with care it should hold up well. There is probably a pamphlet in your packet of goodies you got on delivery with info about the plywood used.

This from another forum on forest river and weyerhauser structurewood used in the floors of these campers....

Our use of Structurwood® is so dependable that Weyerhaeuser agrees with our practice of not coating the exposed bottom surfaces. “Weyerhaeuser agrees with FTCA, Inc.’s practice of not coating the exposed bottom surface of the Structurwood® panels used in their trailers. In our opinion, moisture from occupancy load, or from other internal or external sources may become trapped in the Structurwood® substrate if it is coated on the underside with a system that impairs the ability of the substrate to dry thoroughly. Trapped moisture, over time may cause premature decay or rot.”
That makes a lot of sense...thanks rawlus. I was concerned about road debris chipping away at the wood but moisture is definitely the greater of those two evils. I'm glad you caught me before I started.

LM
__________________
2012 Flagstaff T-12DD
2004 Chevy Suburban
2000 GMC Sierra Z-71
loganmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 AM.