Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2021, 04:56 PM   #1

Issue with fan knob

I read a post awhile back about getting a special knob and pole for the fantastic fan because it is so high and a problem for short people. Someone suggested purchasing a special knob that has a ring and a pole to open and close the fan. Sadly, I did that. I'm short and have to climb on the bench to turn the fan on and off and close it. I took my trailer in for a repair when I was camping in the snow and went to shut the roof. Even though we got as much snow off as we could reach, when we shut the roof, both pieces came down with a huge bang and one of the hydraulic arms had broken and bent. The dealership fixed it but also told me about a problem with the fan knob. It was too long and was causing the roof to hesitate and could hurt the seals--not the same problem as the roof crashing, however. So, I can't use the special knob for the fan.

With all that said, does anyone have a suggestion to turn the fan off and on and close and open the fan without climbing on the bench?

Any suggestion would be great. Thanks in advance. I think I saw where someone created a type of pole and handle with PVC pipe but I can't find it.
Letarae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:40 PM   #2

Like most problems you can throw money at it. Both Maxxair and Fantastic fans have models with remotes
Old 02-23-2021, 06:29 AM   #3
OYO

That could have been me, but I can't find the post either.

It's just a short piece of PVC with a notch cut on one end.

I'm planning on starting prep for our spring trip today. I'll try and post a picture later.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:56 AM   #4
OYO

I think I drilled a hole with an auger then cut the pipe across the hole to get the U shape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210223_114732.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	527.2 KB
ID:	248263  
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:17 PM   #5

Opening the fan lid

I took a piece of plastic pipe, put a wooden disc into the end of it. The wooden disc has 4 dowel fingers sticking out of it that fit over the lid lifting knob. I can't include a photo because the camper is all closed up for the season.
The on off switch is turned while on tip toes. Wife used a plastic folding step stool for on off. She can't open vent without the pipe tool.
carvecamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:39 PM   #6

This is what I made for my wife. It works both the power switch and the hood knob.

Broom handle cut to length, hole saw drilled through scrap 2x4 diameter of fan knob, dowel pins glued in then screw and glue wheel onto stick.

A bit of foam mouse pad glued on adds grip to rotate the fan switch. The dowel pins fit outside the fan switch but engage the cross shaped hood crank.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180428_134936.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	248277
Keystoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:33 PM   #7

opening the roof vent

Yes the opener I created is similar except the pole is 2 inch diameter plastic pipe. I thought the larger diameter would be easier to turn. Now that I've seen yours I'm going to add the rubber pad to the center so she can turn on the fan. Thanks !
carvecamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:51 PM   #8

I have to stand on my toes to open and shut my vent and turn it on and off. Turning it on and off does not bother me but opening and closing it does standing on my toes longer. My wife stands on a seat or uses a stool. For some reason the plastic handle for opening and closing striped out. I ordered a window crank extension 2 inches from Amazon and glued the plastic handle to it. It came with a longer screw it is just right for me. Also added a arrow for which way is open.

https://www.amazon.com/Slide-Co-2225..._bap_d_rp_16_t
BDenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:23 PM   #9
Quinnsapp

I just bought a small folding stool or bench. Works real well and I just fold it up and tuck out of the way. Works well for me.
quinnsapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:30 PM   #10
Kanadian Kamper

Like one of these
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1E7D06E8-4437-4A32-9D94-F180FB93EDB8.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	248343  

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:38 AM   #11
World Traveler Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnsapp View Post
I just bought a small folding stool or bench. Works real well and I just fold it up and tuck out of the way. Works well for me.
I have been using the folding stool for years and it is really handy to stand on when raising the top and I also use it for company inside as a chair since I have the toilet and no second bed/table.

Tags
fan