Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2011, 09:21 PM   #1

Its gonna snow!

And when the snow falls, how do you plan to have your AFrame?

some ALiner owners say they open their camper up during snow when in storage to allow the accumulating snow to slide off. What do you fellow Rockwood AFramers think? Unfortunately the snow will come.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:01 AM   #2

Good Question! I plan on using an Adco breathable cover and making sure I keep the snow cleared off. I wonder if a cover that would fit when the trailer is open would be a good idea? I would imagine the cover would need to be secured and fitted properly, but it would solve the snow issue and I would guess that it would be better in the rain also. The water would just shed off, as opposed to laying on a flat surface and pooling up, which could lead to leaks. Just a thought..

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
Mostly Harmless

One of the advantages of our fold down units is that they'll fit in a garage, so I rented a garage at a nearby apartment complex. It has electricity available, so i'll disconnect the battery from the trailer circuits and put a Battery Minder float charger on it. One of those has kept my motorcycle battery going strong for 7 winters now, so I know they work.

Keeping them set up when they're stored outside is probably a good idea if it keeps snow from accumulating. You would want to make sure that snow didn't get driven into cracks and crevices, though, where freeze/thaw cycles could cause damage. And I'd like to have something to put inside the unit wherever and however I store it that would absorb moisture. I know they make such a thing for boat storage. Anybody know what I'm talking about? I'd like to get a brand name so i could start hunting for one.

I'm going to screw junction box covers over the two perforated plastic plugs that go through the floor (one is under the heat pump, the other in the access area for the fridge). I'll do that from under the trailer. The plugs look mouse-vulnerable to me...
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:00 PM   #4

A little story ...

Mine will be stored in the garage also ... anyhooo .. here is a funny little story from early last spring when we were shopping for Aframes.
We went to a local Aliner retailer who had a few in his store ... and one, outside. Our intrest drove us outside to view an Ease .. setup. The doors would not open as they had frozen shut, and the locks were completely inoperable. The sales guy then takes out on of those mini blow torches and starts "warming up" the external portion of the lock/door handle. Eventually the thing got so hot, it burnt a hole in the fiberglass and ruined the door. What an idiot ..my wife and I just watched this dude .. and told him to stop .. but he wouldnt ...
Anywhooo .. once we got into the Aliner the front half had about 6 inches of snow inside ... which we were told was the norm for the Aliner camper setup during winter storms.
So the moral to this story ... ? dont play with torches, dont leave your Aframe set up in the winter, and whatever you do ... stay away from the Aliner product line.

d-mo
Old 10-13-2011, 06:08 PM   #5

Loved your story D-mo. Sometime the salesman is his own worst enemy!

As for storing ours, I bought a free standing carport to keep it under. Generally, we don't get a lot of snow, but sometimes we do. Also keeps the bf happy as he gets to park his truck under it too.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsocamper
Loved your story D-mo. Sometime the salesman is his own worst enemy!

As for storing ours, I bought a free standing carport to keep it under. Generally, we don't get a lot of snow, but sometimes we do. Also keeps the bf happy as he gets to park his truck under it too.
I'd be interested to see what you are using (pics) and don't hesitate to drop brand names. I've thought of this as well.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep4Two View Post
I'd be interested to see what you are using (pics) and don't hesitate to drop brand names. I've thought of this as well.

I bought it from Leonard. I will try to take a pic tomorrow and post it for you. So far, we are pleased with it.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:42 PM   #8

If I go with a cover I'd like something height adjustable, or modable to such a feature. Low roof for winter storage but ability to raise for summer accessibility would be nice.

Looking forward to pics.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:53 PM   #9

Here's the pic of my baby under the carport. May get the sides put on it - but will see how it does as it is.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:22 PM   #10

wow ... thats pretty awesome ... depending where the where you are in the climate zone .. i think you have everything pretty well covered. However ..even when storing outside ...undercover... remove the plastic propane cover, plug it in ...and rear spare cover ...as they will deteriorate during the hard winter months ...being it could be cold/freezing weather .

dmo
Old 10-14-2011, 08:20 PM   #11

Looks good. I'm still not sure how I'll end up going. Likely uncovered this first year.