Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2020, 04:51 PM   #1

Key disaster has struck

Dear All,

As I packed up this morning I could not find the keychain with all my outside camper keys for my 2014 Rockwood A122S, A-frame camper. I have been through everything with a fine toothed comb and they are gone. Searched the entire campsite for an hour to no avail. The only key I still have is for the entrance door. I lost
1. Key(s) for the four outside storage doors- may not all be the same??
2. Shower key door

Can anyone guide me in the right direction.

I don't have any others with numbers on them to cross-reference for ordering more.
Your help is most appreciated.

Tony
Tony w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 04:56 PM   #2
Site Team

If you need a key for the trip home, ask a fellow camper as the keys for those items are very common.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 04:58 PM   #3

Probably CH751
Round silver head
Very common on FR, if you need in (or closing up) camping neighbors may have same key.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:01 PM   #4

I am home now. Just needing to put a set of keys together again.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:04 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony w View Post
Dear All,

As I packed up this morning I could not find the keychain with all my outside camper keys for my 2014 Rockwood A122S, A-frame camper. I have been through everything with a fine toothed comb and they are gone. Searched the entire campsite for an hour to no avail. The only key I still have is for the entrance door. I lost
1. Key(s) for the four outside storage doors- may not all be the same??
2. Shower key door

Can anyone guide me in the right direction.

I don't have any others with numbers on them to cross-reference for ordering more.
Your help is most appreciated.

Tony

Tony these locks you describe are usually keyed the same as most all other RV's. I've left my keys at home before and just borrow any of my camping buddies keys to get into my storage bays, etc. The entrance door is usually the one keyed different, and you say you have that one.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 05:10 PM   #6

The only other key that might be a problem is the outside shower key. It has a black vinyl base on it and was different than the entrance door key. any ideas on that one?
Old 05-31-2020, 05:19 PM   #7

OK- My neighbor was packing up his rig and I went over and borrowed his keys. All the storage doors are ch751 keys.

That just leaves my shower door key. Ideas on that one?

Tony
Old 05-31-2020, 05:22 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
OK- My neighbor was packing up his rig and I went over and borrowed his keys. All the storage doors are ch751 keys.

That just leaves my shower door key. Ideas on that one?

Tony

These can be the same too. Any RV dealer will probably have them.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 05:44 PM   #9

Yes, sometimes the ch751 will work. If it doesn't give it a good jiggle while twisting.

If that doesn't work, I'd open it with a big screwdriver and replace it with a non-locking thumb turn latch.

Otherwise, I've never been able to find that near ch751 without buying the whole compartment for about $20....
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:47 AM   #10

Skip - you were correct. With some wiggling the same key worked for the shower compartment. I like the idea of a non-licking thumb latch for the shower door. Do you have any specifics on one that fits with minimum hassle?
Old 06-01-2020, 07:27 AM   #11
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Skip - you were correct. With some wiggling the same key worked for the shower compartment. I like the idea of a non-licking thumb latch for the shower door. Do you have any specifics on one that fits with minimum hassle?
Try here for a design like this.....

https://rvpartshop.ca/product/rv-sto...xoCE20QAvD_BwE

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:28 AM   #12

Quote:
See post #11 in this thread https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ks-206723.html for what I found in changing out the shower compartment lock.

Biggest warning is the lock is 3/4" diameter, not 7/8" diameter, like the rest of your locks. Cramming the bigger lock into the existing hole cracks the door - you know how I know this. The door cannot be replaced independently - you replace the whole enclosure, including the faucets. $45 from Flagstaff/Rockwood parts. When I got the new enclosure, I filed the lock hole big enough to use the 7/8" locks that I installed everywhere else.

If you change to a twist latch or something similar without a key, you will want to add a finger pull. The small twist latches don't give you an easy way to lift the door open the way a key does. A finger pull - a few cents from Flagstaff parts - makes lifting the door a lot easier. Again, you know how I know this.

We do use the outdoor shower as a source of water (cold or hot) without having to go inside to the sink. We cook, clean, and lounge outside so the fewer trips in and out the door, the more convenient life is.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
next trip: Black Hills
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 03:03 PM   #13

Key Disaster has Struck

Knowing that storage locks all use the same Key I went to Home Depot, went thru the lock sets that matched what I needed and found sets that used the same key. I did have to go to another Home Depot to find enough keyed alike sets. Now all of my outside doors use the same key including the shower door and know one else is likely to have that key.
BeeBoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 03:31 PM   #14

I know keys are very similar to other campers for storage bins. I stopped at an Ace Hardware store and bought new locks with a round key. Insert and turn the lock. I also have made copies of my entire set of keys, truck, trailer, house, etc in case I lost my original set of keys. It was not difficult to remove the old locks on my A122 by Rockwood. I now feel a bit more secure with whatever is stored in the side compartments with a different key, and obviously the spare set is kept safely hidden.
Rockwoodaframe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 03:35 PM   #15

And Tony if you do ever find your lost keys...they will be found in the last place you look..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:21 PM   #16
kts
Stupid is forever. I know

I tried replacing the lock on the outside shower door and wound up having the entire unit replaced under warranty since one of the flimsy hinges ‘somehow’ broke.
Ordered cam locks from ch751.com and their service was outstanding. The Baggage door locks were very easy to replace but we won’t talk about the outside shower door. Swapped out the main door lock for a keyless entry....every rv should have key pad entry.
kts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:04 PM   #17

I replaced all of my locks so I only have one key for everything on my camper. One of my favorite mods. Each lock came with two keys, so I have more keys than I can keep track of. But I always have a few spares around. None of my camping "friends" have the same key. I like that. I found out the hard way that not all of the locks were the same length.

Tags
truck