Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #1

Larger tires on non TH models

Seems that the larger 15" package only comes on the TH models. Anyone have there’s lifted or larger tires/wheels installed?
jswinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:59 PM   #2

TH has a beefier frame than other models. At the time we bought ours, we noted there wasnt enough clearance in the other trailer models' wheel wells to allow larger tires. I havent heard of anyone (yet) lifting theirs. As Lee (thehamguy) pointed out on the "off road" thread, he's traveled thousands of miles and the memorabley challenging Alaskan road "he shall not name" with no problems with his 13" tires. Maybe he or his DW will chime in their input on how their tires did on the rough roads...

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
TH has a beefier frame than other models. At the time we bought ours, we noted there wasnt enough clearance in the other trailer models' wheel wells to allow larger tires. I havent heard of anyone (yet) lifting theirs. As Lee (thehamguy) pointed out on the "off road" thread, he's traveled thousands of miles and the memorabley challenging Alaskan road "he shall not name" with no problems with his 13" tires. Maybe he or his DW will chime in their input on how their tires did on the rough roads...
They did fine, in fact they have over 17,000 miles on them and they still look good. We took two new spare tire/wheel combos with us on our Canada/Alaska trip, knowing that some of the roads we took are famous for destroying tires, and came home with them still not having touched the ground. Ours are the much-denigrated Chinese tires, on 13" wheels, load range D, kept inflated to the recommended 65#. We've been lucky.

I think the ground clearance with the 13" tires is fine. We were on roads that were badly torn up and extremely bumpy. Potholes like swimming pools. We never bottomed out, nor scraped our undercarriage. We also didn't travel above 20 mph on those sections.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post
They did fine, in fact they have over 17,000 miles on them and they still look good. We took two new spare tire/wheel combos with us on our Canada/Alaska trip, knowing that some of the roads we took are famous for destroying tires, and came home with them still not having touched the ground. Ours are the much-denigrated Chinese tires, on 13" wheels, load range D, kept inflated to the recommended 65#. We've been lucky.

I think the ground clearance with the 13" tires is fine. We were on roads that were badly torn up and extremely bumpy. Potholes like swimming pools. We never bottomed out, nor scraped our undercarriage. We also didn't travel above 20 mph on those sections.
That is about as strong an endorsement as they come. I don't imagine I could punish a trailer that much. I did find this dealer that offers a complete package:
Back Road Package For a Camping Trailer | Roberts Sales - Denver, Colorado
so looks like it is not too hard to get done.
jswinner is offline   Reply With Quote