Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #1

Last Trip 2 New Problems...

OK,

After over a year of camping with "Rocko", she gave me a couple new "issues" to deal with.

1. Either me or my wife managed to accidently turn on the water pump while on shore water at the campground the first night we were out. The next morning, I noticed the pump noise when running tap water. I immediately switched the pump off.

Later in the same morning, I noticed water dripping out of the white water fill spout (our "empty white water tank" was now completely full and overflowing!). I opened the drain on the tank and let it empty. Water kept trickling out even after the tank had emptied.

Water was flowing from the city water fill into the white water tank.

I closed the tank valve and disconnected the city water. I refilled the tank and ran off the pump the rest of the time while camping. The pumped worked properly and I assume that a check valve was partially open. However, I am not certain how the 2 water systems are separated? (I checked the manual. It did shed light but stated that you should not run your pump when on city water.)

How do the 2 systems stay separated? A check valve (maybe in the pump)? Since I didn't get a chance to retest the system on shore/city water I am not certain if water will continue to flow into the WW tank.

2. I've been using a small fan in the trailer for over a year. I decided to buy a 2nd one just like it to help keep the air circulating when the "Cool Cat" is off. I plugged it into the plug next to the converter in the front of our A128S. The GFCI immediately trips. I reset it and try it again. It trips again. Note the tripped circuit cuts off all 3 of our interior receptacles. I plug the fan into one of the back receptacles - no problem. I've read that small motors (this is a 2 wire plug fan) can trip the circuit. However, if all plugs are on the GFCI circuit why is this the only receptacle that trips the circuit. (Obviously my knowledge of electricity is limited insofar as GFCI circuits are concerned.).
Note: On further testing, both of the little fans would trip the circuit. An electronic wall wart did not trip it.

My temporary solution was to not plug the fans into the front GFCI receptacle (and wonder if "Rocko" was going to burn up or my wife was going to get shocked when she touched the fan - the latter might have been funny if she didn't get too much of a jolt.)

Is this normal? Should I consider replacing the Receptacle? Is there another hidden problem? Is "Rocko" just being temperamental?
DGrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #2

It sounds to me like a bad GFCI. Try the fan at home too and if it passes the test. Then replace the receptacle.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #3

Do other things plugged into that gfci trip it? How abut a coffee maker, hair dryer, etc?
Old 06-19-2013, 02:53 PM   #4

I think that most have that GFCI covered .. so i will attempt the answer the water question.
so .. like everything else in life and if you want to stay happily married, i would suggest that you take the blame for turning on the waterpump switch. Believe me
, even tho you are sure you that you didnt turn that dinky little switch under the table on... you did.
As for the leaking into the water tank, I have noticed when we are hooked up to water,which is very rare, that sometimes the tank in the A122 does fill a bit .. even tho the waterpump is off.
I think this could be a safety system to stop both systems running at the same time. Anywhoooo .. check it at home ... connect the hose, without the pump and see what happens ... most likely this is not an issue at all ...

d-mo
Old 06-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Physician

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrissom View Post
...or my wife was going to get shocked when she touched the fan - the latter might have been funny if she didn't get too much of a jolt.

Doc

SabreDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #6

I know very little about the water system yet, but...you asked so I'll give you what I think is or at least should be correct.

There should be a check valve somewhere in the line that prevents water from flowing from the city water into the tank. It is either inline or integrated into the water pump. Follow your water lines from the pump to the connection to the campers cold water system. Then back from the pump to the tank. If there is no check valve found, then it is in the pump and you (not the DW, remember?) may have damaged the pump. It happens and its not a disaster. Get a SHURflo Whisper King and install it with a few mods. The pressure will be better and you will never hear the pump again.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #7

Thanks for all the suggestions!

rawlus, The plug did not trip when I plugged in my table charger. Admittedly, It is not a very large current draw and it did not trip. I forgot that I had a small heater that I plugged into that socket a few months ago. I'll try to test it with that (It uses a 3 wire plug I believe).

Pooneil, I don't have a GFCI plug in this house. So I won't be able to test the fans that way. I may just consider replacing it. Not very expensive.
Also, I'll set up the unit this week end and test the water system and try to trace the flow to see if the valve now works correctly, and if it is integrated into the pump.

D-mo, I would never ever accuse my wife of turning on the pump switch!

SabreDoc, My wife did not seem to like my comment about the "shock". We've been married for 38 years, you would think that she would be used to my lame humor by now.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:18 PM   #8

Follow up #1 - Water System

So, I set up "Rocko" this weekend in the back yard. I tested the water system with our city water.

Results, the water did NOT leak into the white water tank.

I am assuming that the check valve that is in the pump was partially wedged open after turning on the pump with city water. Evidently, it reseated itself after we started using the white water tank during our last outing. Net cost $0.00!

My plan on the resetting GFCI receptacle was to test other items in it and/or simply replace the receptacle. Also, I found a simple tester on-line (around $10), and I may look into purchasing one for my tool kit.

Well, I didn't get to it. I spent most of my time cleaning our A frame. My fantastic fan was really dirty (blades, screen, etc.). I washed the outside of the trailer (removed what appeared to be tar on the sides) and covered it. I'll check and/or replace the GFCI on our next outing.

Goodness, It was HOT outside this weekend!
Old 07-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #9

Red face OK, A couple of new problems

Actually, I suspected that it was leaking, but could not confirm it until our last camping trip. 4 days of almost steady rain and the back bubble window is leaking.

I did a quick fix (black duct tape -- looks good and it stopped the leak). I've ordered 2" 3m extreme seal tape as a semi-permanent fix vs. re-caulking.

I would go with a warranty repair, however, it is now a 2-3 hour trip to our closest local dealer each way for repairs.

2nd problem. The Dometic screen room/awning worked really well on this trip. However, after a year, the bottom Velcro strips are falling off the trailer. I can replace them. However, I am going to find Velcro washers (as used inside on the curtains) or make my own with Velcro and stainless washers, and attach the Velcro using some of the existing screws along the bottom of the trailer.

A side note, our neighbors had a very nice looking easy up type cover with screen side panels. It actually collapsed during the heavy rain.

From our previous post: Water system worked great, and I've bought a replacement electrical socket but was too lazy to repair it on this trip.

Folks, it was a wet week of the 4th here in Alabama! We still had a great time.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #10

Yea .. i definitely have a love/hate relationship with our fantastic fans. I love the way it pushes air out of the trailer .. but hate cleaning the darn thing .. because i cant figure out how to get the inside screen off to clean the motor and blades ... any instructions on how to do this would be most helpful ..

oh .. welcome to leaky back window club .. ive been looking after that issue for the last two years ...

d-mo
Old 07-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #11

I've removed mine once, there is a little raised part on the plastic ring that is the screen frame. I pulled straight away from the fan housing and it finally popped out.

It is a tight fit and I thought it might break I had to pull so hard!
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #12
Mostly Harmless

I've had mine off to clean and had the same thoughts as Jeep4two. It didn't break but I think I'll clean it just once per season...
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo View Post
Yea .. i definitely have a love/hate relationship with our fantastic fans. I love the way it pushes air out of the trailer .. but hate cleaning the darn thing .. because i cant figure out how to get the inside screen off to clean the motor and blades ... any instructions on how to do this would be most helpful ..

oh .. welcome to leaky back window club .. ive been looking after that issue for the last two years ...

d-mo

Screen removal is not all that hard. It just feels like you are tearing it up.

There is a raised edge on the screen "ring". I pulled it until it gave. I thought it would break under the pulling. It just pops loose. I've removed mine 2 or 3 times to clean the screen. Also, I find that "cussing" eases the process considerably!
After cleaning, just reverse the process, it just pops back on.

Actually, I had to clean the entire fan (a lot of build up on it). I guess we used it a lot more than I thought

I hope to make the window a "no brainer" fix with the 3m tape. I found several good YouTube videos showing how to apply it.

BTW, you should have seen my emergency "drip catcher". A Duct tape loop with a carefully crafted duct tape "flume" and a strategically placed receiving receptacle (plastic cup). It caught every drip of a significant amount of water! The outside temporary repair completely stopped the drips.

Also, I have a half-baked theory that the back window leaks because the outside heating and cooling distorts the bubble so much that it breaks the seals.
(It's either that or Santa must have landed on that area last Christmas!) -- David, "That is Not Funny!" SC
Old 07-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #14

What happen using the glue for the Velcro issue? My Velcro is still solidly in place and I may have to use this glue for the magic mesh Velcro pieces.
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko777 View Post
What happen using the glue for the Velcro issue? My Velcro is still solidly in place and I may have to use this glue for the magic mesh Velcro pieces.
The glue was a great suggestion and worked pretty well for the long strips across the back and front. I plan on cleaning and reapplying it there where needed.

Those darn short rectangular Velcro pieces look kind of junky along the bottom edge of the trailer. The existing screws / and discs seem like a natural. The jury is still out on this one as I haven't had time to go to Lowes or Home Depot to shop. Also, I am considering using black or brown patches as well, as the white Velcro gets so darn dirty. I think the Velcro washers may work better, but it is hard to source them (I am going to check out some fabric stores.).
Old 07-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #16

Im kinda with you DG on the window idea ... something has to give. The last time i caulked the bubble, which was late last year, I used RV flex. Once the window started leaking again .. it was again in the same spot, and I noticed that the RVflex stuff had retracted quite a bit causing the leak. \
I too have gone out to purchase a "solution to my problem tape", which is designed specifically roof repairs for RVs .. called Externabond. This stuff is insanely sticky .. and doing a dry run on the repair last year .. i decided to shelve the product to only use in the worse case scenarios ...
So guess what im back doing next week ... you guessed it .. ripping out old caulking, taping the window and resealing ....
someone up there really wants me to learn how to use a caulking gun ..

d-mo
Old 07-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #17

Wink

Quote:
someone up there really wants me to learn how to use a caulking gun ..

d-mo
I would prefer the folks at Forest River learning how to use one!
Old 07-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #18

just a quick note ... im doing the cleaning of the fanti-fan right now .. and all is well .. thanks much for all the info ... i was really afraid of braking it ..
also .. where does your bubble window leak .. upper corner of the the sink side ... this info will be a good to know for other people who incurred this problem ... cause thats where mine is ..
nice thing about these campers tho is that if you remove the blind insert, you can spot the problem right away ... make sure your camper is completely level tho ... or else you will be chasing water for a day or two ...

d-mo
Old 07-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #19

Quote:

also .. where does your bubble window leak .. upper corner of the the sink side ... this info will be a good to know for other people who incurred this problem ... cause thats where mine is ..
nice thing about these campers tho is that if you remove the blind insert, you can spot the problem right away ... make sure your camper is completely level tho ... or else you will be chasing water for a day or two ...

d-mo
The first time I detected the leak. The water exited from the door side of the bubble (about 1/3 the way to the middle of the bubble).
The last time the window leaked it was on the sink side. The trailer was pretty level in both instances - on camp drives.

I could not find any visible entry points on the outside. I did not disassemble the blinds to find the exact entry point.

I've completed the tape job.

Note: A 5 yard roll of 50mm will NOT be enough to do the job*. It will take at least 2 rolls.

I purchased my tape from Zoro Tools (www.zorotools.com). The price per roll was around $32 + $5 for shipping. Shipping time was extremely fast. Look up 4412N or Extreme Sealing Tape.

It was not too difficult to apply (It is extremely sticky!). It looks pretty good. And! it looks like it won't leak. Time will tell if this is the way to go.

* There may be away to use just 5 yards if you pull the backing off and stretch the tape slightly. However, this will be more difficult to apply and may cause the seal to fail early.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #20

Last Update

This past weekend, while camping a Gunter Hill Campground (A beautiful Army Corps of Engineers Campground near Montgomery, AL), I replaced the GFCI receptacle. It tested OK and passed the "FAN" test with flying colors. I guess it was a marginal receptacle.

We had a heavy rain while camping. The rear bubble window was "dry as a bone". The tape seemed to work great.

Things look good for now!