Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2019, 09:13 AM   #1

Leaking Skylights

We purchased a Flagstaff AFrame and have loved it. But, we're learning that it wasn't particularly well done from a quality standpoint. Before we took possession of our Flagstaff, we noticed that one of the seat cushions had serious water stains on it. Our dealer replaced those cushions and we hit the road and went camping. After quite a number of camping trips, we experienced our first rainstorm and all of a sudden noticed that there was water leaking from both skylights. I started trying to see if this was a known issue and discovered this forum. Needless to say, this is a well known issue. So, I contacted my dealer and asked what they (Forest River) might do despite the fact we are now out of warranty. Sadly, I got the "nothing" answer and was told that they have a fix that would cost me several hundred dollars and probably 3 weeks of lost camping. Candidly, I'm furious. This is a known issue and Forest River should either recall and fix these things or take care of it out of warranty. I've noticed that there are some suggested fixes on this forum but why in hell should owners be subjected to paying for this when it's really a quality issue to begin with?
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:39 PM   #2

In my opinion it's not worth fighting over. Everyone want's every feature possible and they want it done with a high quality standard. But in the end your only going to fork over so much cash.

Just buy some Eternabond Roofseal Tape. Seal the windows and your done. I completed it in under an hour. Haven't had a problem since.
tyoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:51 AM   #3

There's honestly no fight to be had here. Forest River has consciously decided that they won't warrant this. So, I have no choice but to perform my own repair and I will do that. Candidly, this is something that shouldn't happen. It's akin to building a house and having your skylights leak each time it rains. It's not a matter of wanting all kinds of features. Rather, it's about providing acceptable quality ... My post was intended to insure that others know that it's a known issue and to let Forest River know that they need to step up and stop delivering substandard quality. Thanks for letting me know that the tape repair has worked well for you. That's good news.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:51 AM   #4

So "before" you took possession the cushions were wet, and you accepted new dry cushions instead of asking if there could be a leak? That could have easily been tested at the dealership with a water hose. Many of us even without leaks have "Eternabonded" the skylights, big bubble window, and fan cover so we don't have to worry about it at a bad time. Should everything be perfect when we buy it? Of course. Do we always want to pay for that perfection? Not many do. It's usually still cheaper to deal with the little irritations ourselves and not have to wait weeks or months to get it back from a dealer who shoves off warranty work behind something he gets more money for.

EDIT: Yes I noticed you said water stains, not "wet" but it should still have been addressed at the time of the walk through when taking delivery!

2018 T21TBHW A-Frame
2012 Nissan Pathfinder
tlspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:59 AM   #5

No the cushions weren't wet ... they were stained and I had no idea why. The dealer offered to replace them and we did that. It wasn't until quite a while thereafter that we experienced our first serious rain and I figured out that the leak must stem from the skylights. Yes we are going to repair ourselves but it boggles my mind how much rationalizing goes on with an issue like this. What we spent wasn't "cheap" and I think anyone buying a camper has every reason to believe that it won't come with leaky skylights. If you do GOOG searches on this issue ... you discover that it's a longstanding issue and that there's TONS of people that are super unhappy about it. By this logic, I guess that I should be OK with a heater not working or the taillights not functioning.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:09 AM   #6

it was addressed at walk through ... we noticed stained cushions and the dealer replaced them. There's a whole host of reasons they could have been stained because this unit was the unit they used on the lot to show people. Again, this shouldn't happen and frankly GOOG shows that there's a boatload of people who feel the way that I do. In fact, there's over 1300 consumers who have taken to a site called PISSED CONSUMER to complain. Have a peek and unless you work for Forest River ... please stop trying to rationalize substandard quality.

https://www.pissedconsumer.com/tag/f...ver-sucks.html
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/337629303298848124/
Old 05-23-2019, 10:12 AM   #7

https://www.bbb.org/us/in/millersbur...478/complaints
Old 05-23-2019, 10:40 AM   #8
Itching to go . . .

Ricci,
I agree with you 1000%
We bought a new Flagstaff spring of 2017. Here are a few observations:
1. They are selling them as fast as they can make them
2. EVERYTHING is built as cheaply as possible
3. They will warranty most things for the first year
4. There is no government or industry oversight
(Think about it the next time one of those giant fifth wheel trailers flys by being driven by a new trailer owner)

Known issues that are not warrantied after the first year
1. Leaking skylights, roof vents, storage doors, etc
2. Failing power lifts
3. China Bomb tires
4. Very bad quality control (loose screws, misaligned construction, etc)

You can put it in the shop for warranty and/or repairs but if you do it during camping season be prepared to wait much longer than is reasonable.
In addition to the wait, the resulting repair (in many cases) will likely be inferior to what you could have done yourself in MUCH less time.

Nobody likes it, but it is "just the way it is". I have accepted it and moved on. I love camping in my Aframe and hope you will too.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:43 PM   #9

Ricci, sorry to hear you're have leaky skylights. We bought our 2016 T21TBHW new and haven't had the first problem with the skylights (probably just jinxed myself with that statement) but have had roof actuator problems, both with the actuator and the "wrinkling" of the edge metal where the actuator mounts to the rear roof panel. I've had to replace the breaker panel and a hose to the cassette toilet & we continually have a hinge screw for the stove cover fall out just to name a few issues. One thing you need to come to grips with is that this is a "house" traveling down our country's dilapidated highway system at 60+ mph getting "beaten" every which way, of course things are going to come loose, get cracked or fall apart. Even our vehicles have these same issues and they're built for traveling on these roads at those speeds. These rv's, no matter how expensive they are, are going to "fall apart" from time to time and it's better for you to do the repairs yourself than loose camping time. I'm not sticking up for the rv manufacturers, I agree there needs to be better quality built in to them and possibly a longer warranty period or certain continuing defects be covered for a longer period of time until a better component is created. As Moosure said the demand is greater than the supply and shortcuts are taken to meet orders. Remember, they're in business to make money! I worked in the marine industry for 30 years and the same is true in that industry as well as any other manufacturing business. Enjoy what you have and the time you have to enjoy it.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:29 PM   #10

leaking skylight

Keep in mind just because the water is coming out of the skylight does not mean is coming in from there.
Popup camper take water hose and leak test the skylights.
Starting at the bottom slowly work your way up. 10 minuets at a time.
I just put the hose on sprinkle and prop it up to stay by its self .
You can watch my video I made on youtube
Search for ... forest river hw repair Eternabond hail damage

use .. OSI QUAD Advanced Formula Sealant Window Door & Siding CAULKING
to fix leaks or use Eternabond
superal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by superal View Post
Keep in mind just because the water is coming out of the skylight does not mean is coming in from there.
Popup camper take water hose and leak test the skylights.
Starting at the bottom slowly work your way up. 10 minuets at a time.
I just put the hose on sprinkle and prop it up to stay by its self .
You can watch my video I made on youtube
Search for ... forest river hw repair Eternabond hail damage

use .. OSI QUAD Advanced Formula Sealant Window Door & Siding CAULKING
to fix leaks or use Eternabond
Its a flat roof with no seams so where else could water enter besides the skylights
sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, light, skylight