Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2015, 09:20 PM   #1

Lesson learned the hard way - but with a happy ending

Hey y'all, I wanted to share a lesson I learned the hard way on our road trip this summer. I took a turn too close in a crowded gas station and side swiped the protective concrete pole that protects the gas pump. The damage didn't seem too bad and we called the insurance company and continued our trip. Well, apparently the work to fix it exceeded the cost of the camper and the insurance company totaled it. Luckily, we have good insurance and are getting a new one. But my lesson learned is - even if you thinking you're taking the turn wide enough, take it wider!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1446690046.557875.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	93722
mikeandclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:34 PM   #2

That's totaled?
Old 11-04-2015, 09:35 PM   #3

What is the hidden damage driving the repair cost up? Looking at your picture I can't fathom the repair cost making it totaled.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:35 PM   #4

When making a tight turn or you're in close quarters, always drive S-L-O-W and look in your mirror on the side of the turn often. Sorry about your mishap, things happen.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:40 PM   #5

Lesson learned the hard way - but with a happy ending

We were in the last hour of the drive and I was tired of DC em traffic and wanted to get to my parents. I knew better - I shouldn't have rushed.

Apparently there was some slight damage to the subfloor and to return it to its almost brand new condition the whole floor needed to be replaced. Which meant taking walls off. Which I guess makes he repair expensive. You live, you learn. That's the last time I'll make that mistake!
Old 11-04-2015, 09:43 PM   #6

Here's a picture I took when the mishap happened... Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1446691330.288357.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	93723
Old 11-04-2015, 10:02 PM   #7

I did something similar this summer in a crowded alley and a U-Hall parked the wrong way. I have been towing for 20+ years. Mine was a simple fix with minimal damage all because I was creeping thru. If i had a little more mirror it wouldn't have happened. If is the biggest 2 letter word i know Sorry about the mishap
Old 11-05-2015, 10:03 AM   #8

Ouch been there and have done that, more times than I want to count. Be very Very careful on turns and when backing without a ground guide.
Its Cute but......
Total (2104-2017) 319 2018 (59)
dts3204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandclay View Post
Here's a picture I took when the mishap happened... Attachment 93723
Where is this? I want to buy it back from insurance company! I can fix that!
limblips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:19 AM   #10

Take the pay off, buy it back and fix it. That can be fixed!..
2014 F350 / 2015 CC 36 CKTS
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:34 AM   #11

That would almost buff out.

Anyway, SPUTS happen. Glad you were insured and the company was forthright in honoring the policy.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:48 PM   #12

So the burning question is, what insurance company? Sounds like a good one.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 01:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by limblips View Post
Where is this? I want to buy it back from insurance company! I can fix that!
ME TOI.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 01:41 PM   #14

One up on you!😜

On the way home from Ocean Lakes, as we were about two miles from home, my wife said: " You are doing so good driving this big rig ( 41 ft XLR 5er @ F-450 Crew Cab long bed), Making your turns so good and wide, I'm so proud of you!�� Well, anyway! As I was turning in the driveway at my home, the DW started telling me to park the rig close to the back door so we could unload it easier. Instead of watching my trailer, I was looking for a place to park it near the back door. Then- kalamablam!!! I had missed the drive by about a foot, the trailer was listing about 30 degrees and I was near a nervous breakdown.

If I had just waited to investigate the situation I would have been fine but I tried to back it out and bent the rear left panel all to haitis. To make a long story short- My son, my brother and a neighbor helped me jack it up and put wooden blocks under the tires and then drove it right out of the ditch.

The story gets better. Being school employees, we were off for Christmas about a month later and I decided to take the rig to the dealer for minor repairs, just some sheet metal replacement that ended up costing about two hundred dollars. Wait, wait the story gets better .�� So after Christmas I went out to hook up the rig to my shiny F-450. The ground was wet from a recent snow. As I backed the truck up to the king pin the rig rolled backwards, over the chocks, and crushed the bed of my truck. Needless to say, Now I am really having a breakdown. Took the rig in for repairs. Took the truck in for repairs. $200 and $3200 respectively. Luckily the insurance paid enough on the truck to repair the RV and pay for the almost 300 mile round trip to the RV dealer(2times). Later on we took a trip to Holden Beach, NC where I scraped a street sign pulling into the camping site and destroyed the front steps and scratched some more sheet metal. Now I have the rig semi-permanently parked at that same campground. ��
robert.beck.7737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 02:59 PM   #15

I had a similar incident. Pulling into Briarcliffe RV Resort, paying too much attention to a super nice Class A going through the gates and all of a sudden I came to a sudden stop. The pole, protecting the gates, went in and bent my slide out arm and few other things, $3,500 worth. A very expensive lesson learned, and I knew better.
I finished my stay and took one more trip in it and now it's in the repair shop.
"I feel your pain"
adrinkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:34 AM   #16

One of the tricks I learned at LazyDays' RV Driving Class was to put markers (small smiley face stickers) on the side view mirrors. They're located so that they appear to be next to the rear wheels when viewed from a normal driving position. When making turns, once the sticker clears an object, there's no possibility of the side of the RV clipping it when making a turn to that side.

This technique does not help you with tail wag when turning the other way.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 03:48 PM   #17

Sure it is there will be subfloor damage, and that takes a ton of work to replace, so from an insurance company point, they will total the coach, resell it (as a damaged unit sale) and be done and not have to worry that the customer will not come back with more issues in the future. People need to understand just looking a picture really does not tell you a thousand things. Happy Camping
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 04:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback 35ts View Post
Sure it is there will be subfloor damage, and that takes a ton of work to replace, so from an insurance company point, they will total the coach, resell it (as a damaged unit sale) and be done and not have to worry that the customer will not come back with more issues in the future. People need to understand just looking a picture really does not tell you a thousand things. Happy Camping

Excellent point. I guess that was my whole reason of sharing our experience - be careful! Because sometimes the smallest damage can total your camper!