Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2014, 03:02 PM   #1

Looking for a rockwood toy hauler? Anyone know of a dealer that has an A127TH?

I can't find one East of the Mississippi. Let me know if you see one at a dealer, thanks.
boss mare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:38 PM   #2

Wilmington, NC?

A week and a half ago I bought a new 2014 A127TH at Wilmington RV, in Wilmington, NC. Their website showed another in inventory since then. They're on the 'Net at www.wilmingtonRV.com. Ring Matt or Kevin on their 877 number. They're carving a niche with A-frames, carrying Rockwoods, Aliners, and soon Chalets.

Fox58
Fox58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:57 PM   #3

You are the one that got that camper! Lol. I have already called them. Very nice guys but they don't have that model anymore. Thanks and tell me all about your likes and dislikes or things you plan on modifying
Old 05-21-2014, 06:51 AM   #4

Yeah, I guess I'm the culprit. I looked and snagged it on May 9. Dunno about any mods yet, but will definitely be looking into an awning or awning/screen room addition. I'll probably install a dual battery and isolator switch--that much I am certain of. I have a large crossbed truck tool box which I may bolt down on the TH platform, since as of now we don't have an ATV or dirt bikes, only mountain bikes and grandchildren's bikes and trikes to haul around.

I'll check in later with a report. First outing scheduled for June 6-7.

Fox58
Old 05-24-2014, 08:47 AM   #5

fox58, Wilmington has one on order and will be here after camping season ends for me but they said that this model is being discontinued? They will be scarce and hard to find. So hang on to yours. Also I would like to know what you are pulling it with, what hitch and how did both work. My explorer is about 12 years old so I am sure I will be looking for something else in the next few years. Thanks
Old 05-24-2014, 09:54 AM   #6

Tow vehicles

Boss Mare,

I am not aware of discontinuation of the A127TH. I'm certainly glad I got one and I anticipate enjoying it a great deal.

My primary TV is my venerable '02 F350 SRW CC longbed diesel 4WD. It's got the standard 5,000 lb receiver hitch and RV wiring system, so it's pretty much "plug and play". I use a 6" drop-down drawbar to keep the utility trailers I use level and I believe I'll want the same drop for the Rockwood. I just need to get a wireless brake controller. I'm already pondering pulling the mud-terrain tires off of the camper and replacing them with a pair of high-rated Marathons or other trailer tires. I frankly think the M/T tires on the camper are a bit gimmicky, or at least are of little if any use to me. With the TH platform adding to the length, it's a bit much to think of knarly off-road towing uses. A shorter camper and a lighter, shorter truck--sure, but I'll be pushing 40' nose-to-tail and around 13,000 lbs on the hoof, so unless I want to chance burying the rig in mud or sand, I don't anticipate any true off-road use. Besides, I want a pair of mud/snow tires for the back of the 2WD Mazda, anyway, so there we are.

We focused our search on pop-ups in the 2,000-2,500 lbs dry weight range in order to have the option of towing with my wife's Chevy Equinox (V6 with 3,500 lb tow rating), my daily driver Mazda pickup (V-6, 2,500 lb tow rating), or a close friend's 2006 Tacoma Quad-Cab (5,000 lb tow rating(?)). I will likely never actually tow any real distance with the Mazda or the Equinox, but we wanted the option of using one or the other for very short trips to the lakes or State Parks in this part of North Carolina. There are about a dozen CGs within 50-60 miles of our Raleigh home.

I'm looking forward to chiming in with a trip report in a couple of weeks.

Fox58

Rockwood A127TH.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:54 PM   #7

Fox58...just to let you know that I have been dealing with 8 different dealers and Wilmington is the only one telling me the truth and giving me a fair price. They ARE discontinuing that model, so a few have called me back telling me that they can NOT get it as they have quit making them at the factory and they are all spoken for. Two have told me they will order me one if I pay half now...hmmm. One guy told me he had one, sent me pictures and I drove two hours to have him tell me that it was sold the day before but he will give me a 2013 model for the same price, because he is such a nice guy. So thanks for telling me about Wilmington, they have one on order with my name on it! What's a 10 hour drive?

Tags
dealer, rockwood, toy hauler