Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2012, 11:43 AM   #1

Looking for A122.. and more questions.

Looking for a ROCKWOOD A122. or FLAGSTAFF T12RB.. We have Forest River dealers in Tennessee.. but nobody carries them. Found a leftover 2011 A122 (but is "sale pending").. and a 2011 A128. What would be a fair price for these?

Also.. those who own and are used to setting up and taking down the camper.. I know it is pretty simple and quick.. but how strenuous? I have some back problems and am subject to aggravating the problem with heavy lifting, etc. How heavy are the walls and top? Does it take much effort to push up and pull down? How does the system work? Hydraulics?

When I owned a pop-up.. it seemed to be a pretty good work out.. pulling those bed ends out.. and especially getting under the bed ends to insert the braces.
chuck9997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #2

I have a Rockwood A128S so I hope I can answer some of your questions.
The local dealer here was more than happy to order in a unit so the DW and I could look at it with no obligation to buy. The sticker price was $14,800.00, we bought the unit for $11,000.00. This was about a 25% discount, we where happy with it and since we have bought from this dealer in the past, we where very aquainted with their excellant service and did not hesitate nto buy it.
As far as set up, I do not have a bad back but am also no spring chicken (62). I also have had a P/U and agree thay can be a lot of work to put up and take down. With the Rockwood, I find set up and take down very easy and this is one reason why I went with this camper. DW and I just love it and for just the two of us, it's plenty big enough.
I would suggust that you find one you can open and close a few times, sit in it, walk around inside it and sit inside it with your wife and try to see if it fits you needs.
I and the DW have not regretted getting our A Frame one bit, we just love it and look forward to our vacation this year to the Grand Canyon with our A Frame camper.
Good Luck to you.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
Site Team

get prices from RVW and RVDirect, both are Rockwood dealers and have some of the best prices in the country.
many buyers use their prices to negotiate with local dealers.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
Flagstaff 22FBS

We own a Rockwood A126. I'm a female, 5'3" @ 55 yrs. and I have raised and lowered our A frame by myself. Mostly the side panels are a little heavy, but not a strain to fold down or put up and is completely manageable for me alone. We've never had a canvas side, so I can not compare my experience with that.

A few suggestions:

I unlatchthe rearleaver on the door side, leaving the front one latched, before unlatching and lowering the driver side wall (which comes down first). The reason for this is when the driver side is folded down, I not tall enough to reach the rear door side leaver, which is above the microwave cabinet, unless I climb on that cabinet.

It helps to have your partner steady the top half of the door during set up, or fold down, of the door side.

For me, when unlatching the roof at the peak, to lower the top, it's easier if I stand on the extended door step to get better leverage. I stand on the step to "snap" the top peak in place during set up too.

In the end, being a team player, I mostly assist Gary as he sets up or folds down our A frame.

I agree with "backpacker3" suggestion to find one and try it out. Any of the A frame style models will do, they all fold down basically the same. In the spring I'll bet there will be at least one model on the dealer's lot. Even if it is sold, it would be in the salesman's favor to demonstrate the procedure in order to keep you interested.

We drove 4 hours to a dealer because they had several styles of A frames to view in their inventory. Make no mistake, I searched the internet and made several phone calls before taking the drive. Our 2012 Rockwood A126 listed for $13,900. After much wheeling and dealing, the total amount, with taxes and license, was under $10K.

What happened to get such a drastic price reduction? I'm guessing that even if they didn't make as much, they still made some money off the sale. Other positives for the business are that by getting their product into a new geo-demo, plus Gary and I bragging on what a "great deal" we got equals basically free advertising. Plus, we purchased last Fall, so there was one less camper left in their winter inventory.

For just the two of us, an A frame is the perfect choice. Gary and I do love our camper, we are excited to use it again and both agree that we did get a good deal.

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:56 PM   #5

We got a leftover A126 2011 model. Love it. Paid a tad under $9500 as I recall. Sticker was $12995.

The top sets up with a simple spring bar assisted lift of the front panel and the sides just swing up and latch in place. That part of setup takes less than 30 seconds. We usually spend about 20 minutes for full setup which includes backing in, getting level, opening the camper up, making all connections (electric water grey tank), and getting the inside setup for the stay. That also includes taking the weight distribution hitch setup off the jeep and locking it to the camper.

If its just you + 1 the AFrames are great. I guess if you go with the 122 or 128 with fold down beds on both ends then 4 ppl would work too.

My favorite part of the A126 is the built in cassette toilet, and we aren't afraid to use it for #2 either. We've been very pleased.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
Flagstaff 22FBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep4Two View Post
My favorite part of the A126 is the built in cassette toilet, and we aren't afraid to use it for #2 either. We've been very pleased.
No Fear

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #7

We use a Thetford 365, it works great and the height is perfect. I like the manual pump over the electric for reliability and it is very easy to empty and clean.

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
We use a Thetford 365, it works great and the height is perfect. I like the manual pump over the electric for reliability and it is very easy to empty and clean.
Mike,

Does the 365 store under the bed?

Dave

2014 Silverado Double Cab 1500 5.3L V8 w/3.42 Axle Ratio Tow Vehicle

Sold: 2012 Rockwood A122 Hardside Popup
daveinpickerington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinpickerington View Post
Mike,

Does the 365 store under the bed?

Dave

It fits perfect under the bed and that's where I store it. There have been some problems with the electric flush version blowing fuses, the hand pump flush system will handle everything fine.

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #10

Thanks Mike.

2014 Silverado Double Cab 1500 5.3L V8 w/3.42 Axle Ratio Tow Vehicle

Sold: 2012 Rockwood A122 Hardside Popup
daveinpickerington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:55 PM   #11

Sounds like I could've got our 2010 A126 for a bit cheaper...paid around $10,000 new. I should've argued more--just didn't want to deal with it. I was by myself and I am sure they saw me coming.
lilfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:09 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfawn View Post
Sounds like I could've got our 2010 A126 for a bit cheaper...paid around $10,000 new. I should've argued more--just didn't want to deal with it. I was by myself and I am sure they saw me coming.
If back then you thought you got a fair deal then try not to worry about it. No matter how well of a deal I think I got on something I always find someone else with a better deal. I think that is how life plays out.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfawn View Post
Sounds like a deal to me. Our dealer had only sold one other A-Frame and I think they were worried they would be stuck with it over the winter. Our 2011 had a late 2010 build date I believe. That's they only reason I think we managed a little bit under 10K.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck9997
Looking for a ROCKWOOD A122. or FLAGSTAFF T12RB.. We have Forest River dealers in Tennessee.. but nobody carries them. Found a leftover 2011 A122 (but is "sale pending").. and a 2011 A128. What would be a fair price for these?

Also.. those who own and are used to setting up and taking down the camper.. I know it is pretty simple and quick.. but how strenuous? I have some back problems and am subject to aggravating the problem with heavy lifting, etc. How heavy are the walls and top? Does it take much effort to push up and pull down? How does the system work? Hydraulics?

When I owned a pop-up.. it seemed to be a pretty good work out.. pulling those bed ends out.. and especially getting under the bed ends to insert the braces.
We bought a 2012 Flagstaff T12 for around $11k. The 2012 prices have gone up. It's easy to put up but spend and extra $50 and get a battery-operated drill to help lower the stabilizers. That's may be the hardest part on your back. We love ours; actually camping in it as I type @ Florida Caverns State Park!

KristenDavid208 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a122