Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko777 View Post

I just updated my thread post #353 on how I installed my MM, http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-27602-36.html
Check this out, I just did my MM setup last weekend. Putting the mesh away with this setup is easy and it does not interfere when the A-Frame gets folded.

If you are planning to do the one panel door setup, consider that when you step out, it will be a little tight especially for a tall person. You will have to bow before going through the mesh. Going in is easy and it should be the same feel as the two panel door mesh setup. For 5'9" and shorter, I recommend the one panel door mesh setup and it is so much easier to install too.

Good Luck!
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #22

Hi Khaapala! I just used the Magic Mesh panels and the velcro that it came with. I measured and pinned each panel to equate to the doorframe width, folding it over on itself (I was afraid to actually trust my measurements and cut it) AND I didnt want to worry about having to finsih an edge. I make no claim to being a seamstress, so after pinning the excess panel width on top of itself, it was just sewn down lengthwise to secure the folds. The length was cut to the height of the entry.

I love the having it! Most of the time the door is open and the screen is up....even when we go to sleep...our EZ Up canopy with its sidewalls blocks the front of the camper. I use my trailer alot at dog shows & always blasting in and out of the trailer. I like that it is quiet hands free entry and it self closes. I can push my arm through to get a fresh cup of coffee without having to walk in or disturb DH if he is napping with a door opening/closing. It works hard for me on my times out & I like that I dont worry about ripping it off the frame. The Magic Mesh is an easy project - If I can do it, you will have no prob! Love to see pics of yours once its done!

Do you have the pull out sofa bed model or the newer flip up bed? What do you use your deck for? I'm in WA too but we like to go rockhounding in OR and ID...Have you done any mods on your TH? I am always on the lookout for improving the trailer's ease of use! Not many of us on here with the TH model. Do tell, please!!

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #23

Thank you for posting! We have been considering this mod for some time. The photos and ideas really help. Looks like this is the summer. Happy camping all!
Bojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #24

I guess I am your 'go to' guy for goof-it-ups...... I don't yet have the MM up but I did put the velcro tape on the back side of the door frame. With great pride I put the tape on while the door was open and of course placed a piece of velcro tape exactly where the upper door latch closes. Now to remove a small section of that piece of tape.

Moral: I recommend installing tape while the door is closed.
neil.ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:33 PM   #25
Mostly Harmless

I'm also working on getting a Magic Mesh screen installed. So far I've laid it out and folded it to the width it needs to be cut and sewn to. Once the dimensions were right I stapled the screen edge to its future position (when sewn). After finding someone with a sewing machine to fasten it permanently, I'll cut off the excess and take out the staples.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-333854039.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	33875

Laid out on floor and taped to desired width (20 - 5/8" from outside to outside, folded over material to be cut off when sewing's done)

Name:	image-1469925526.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	33876

Measurements shown.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:29 AM   #26

Looks good Lee! I did something similar! Never thought to use staples, the pins I used were deadly! haha

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 06-24-2013, 06:00 AM   #27
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
Here is what it looks like when the Magic Mesh screen door is not in place. Velcro strips not pretty to look at, but when we are using the trailer, the screen is in place and we dont have to look at them haha

There are 3 velcros on each side and 4 at the top
Might try to mount the MM to a board and use 2 z pcs of channel mounted to the wall and just slip the board in the channel to or something similar to replace the Velcro?
Old 06-30-2013, 09:50 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post
I'm also working on getting a Magic Mesh screen installed. So far I've laid it out and folded it to the width it needs to be cut and sewn to. Once the dimensions were right I stapled the screen edge to its future position (when sewn). After finding someone with a sewing machine to fasten it permanently, I'll cut off the excess and take out the staples.

Attachment 33875

Laid out on floor and taped to desired width (20 - 5/8" from outside to outside, folded over material to be cut off when sewing's done)

Attachment 33876

Measurements shown.
What are your plans for the height? Measure and hem the bottom? Do you know that measurement off-hand? Would the bottom hem benefit from a bit of weight?
Old 06-30-2013, 04:20 PM   #29
Mostly Harmless

On my A128, the measurement from the threshold to the top of the pad over the door is 72". I plan to fold the screen top over so the black edging at the top of the screen is at 72" and sew it there. Then I'll cut off the excess on both sides and the top. I'll remove the pad over the door, install the screen, and reinstall the pad. That should do it; so far none of those who've already installed their MM have said they need weight added at the hem, so we'll see.

I haven't found anyone with a sewing machine yet so the project is on hold. Meanwhile I need to remove the remnants of my earlier screen. That may take some doing; I epoxied the magnets to the door frame in V. 2.0, and they'll have to come off. That version still works OK, but it's not as elegant a solution as V. 3.0, using the MM.
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 06-30-2013, 05:16 PM   #30
Flagstaff 22FBS

Hamguy, in your project, please tell us how you take the header pad off the wall that is over the door. Can you just use a screwdriver to pry off the buttons revealing screws? I'm curious to see what our door looks like w/o the padding and if it is feasible to discard it all together.

Also, if the MM is installed "permanently" under the padding, do you plant to roll it up when not in use... or just let it hang after fold down and during travel?

For Gary and I, this project has been on the back burner a while now, so I've been reading everyone's posts for ideas. Here is what I am considering doing:

I have concerns about my ability of cutting and sewing the length of both panels in a straight neat manner. So for width, I think I'll fold over and sew the MM width to fit the door, similar to the way handbuilder did.

To hang the MM we picked up a 21" sash curtain rod today.

I was thinking of attaching the curtain rod into the wall over the door. I'll sew some black binding along the top to form a "pocket" the rod will slide into. I'll have to trust that I can sew that short of a distance neatly...we'll see how well that works out...

The idea is that we'll have the option of taking it down while in route or if the screen is not needed leaving small brackets instead of Velcro along the top.

I also picked up white Velcro to replace the black that came with the MM kit. I think the white will be more discrete when the MM curtain is not in use.

If the curtain rod idea doesn't work out, we may look into removing the door header padding and attaching it under there like thehamguy...

I'll post pics when the project is completed... fingers crossed, hopefully later tomorrow.

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:47 PM   #31

Hey Deb,

The "buttons" in the door padding snap over Phillips head screws. You can use a flat tip screwdriver to pop them off.

Debbie
2012 Ford Raptor
Camping born-on date: 21 July 2012
Nights camped: 2014-3 (so far!!); 2013-16; 2012-2 nights
FarFromStock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:19 PM   #32
Flagstaff 22FBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarFromStock View Post
Hey Deb,

The "buttons" in the door padding snap over Phillips head screws. You can use a flat tip screwdriver to pop them off.

Debbie
Awesome news! I thought that is what I remembered thehamguy saying, but I worried about prying around on it without prior confirmation.

Thanks Debbie, for the hint/tip.

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
Old 06-30-2013, 08:17 PM   #33
Mostly Harmless

Deb, I thought I'd try just leaving the screen installed full time, like Tamara does. I think when I stand in the doorway to lower the sidewall, the screen will pop open and thus be out of the way. If that doesn't work out I'll have to come up with something else, probably rolling it up like ko777 does. My current screen rolls up and doesn't get in the way so that should work.

The pad is quite easy to remove, though what you see when you do that isn't pretty. There's a fair size gap between the door frame and the opening cut into the sidewall, which the pad covers pretty well. Good place to stash all that extra travel cash....
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 06-30-2013, 08:54 PM   #34
Flagstaff 22FBS

Quote:
Deb, I thought I'd try just leaving the screen installed full time, like Tamara does. I think when I stand in the doorway to lower the sidewall, the screen will pop open and thus be out of the way. If that doesn't work out I'll have to come up with something else, probably rolling it up like ko777 does. My current screen rolls up and doesn't get in the way so that should work.
OK, I see. Rolled up or left hanging, either way should work fine.

Permanently affixed might be a better alternative than the curtain rod thingie...hummm, need to think on that a bit more...

Quote:
The pad is quite easy to remove, though what you see when you do that isn't pretty. There's a fair size gap between the door frame and the opening cut into the sidewall, which the pad covers pretty well.
Well that's odd.

Quote:
Good place to stash all that extra travel cash....
Optimistic way to look at it. I'll keep the "hidey-hole" option in mind when we check it out tomorrow.

Deb

Old 07-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #35
Mostly Harmless

I borrowed a sewing machine this morning and stitched up the screen material. Installation took about 5 minutes. It looks and (so far) works nice, though it'll be awhile before all the wrinkles hang out of it.

Name:	image-2873941095.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	34376

The header pad reinstalled. I may someday trim those two corners off but for now they don't bother me.

Name:	image-4138743623.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	34377

There are slight gaps between the magnets; maybe the edge material will lose its wrinkles eventually and the gaps will go away.

Oh, and Deb I think your curtain rod idea isn't bad either, so long as the brackets don't interfere with folding the wall down.
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 07-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #36
Flagstaff 22FBS

Well hey Lee, your MM door looks terrific! I am in awe of your sewing abilities.

Did the lines in the screen help keep things lined up and straight as you cut and sewed the edges? That part worries me...

Gary and I got sidetracked with a lighting mod today but I'll be back on our screen door project tomorrow. I understand the concern about the brackets. I don't believe they will interfere with fold down as they won't protrude any farther than the header pad does, but thanks for the heads up.

Fingers crossed,

Deb

Old 07-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #37

Looks great Lee! Thats what my friend did with hers! The only problem is that it somehow ripped off the wall at the top of the header on the first day of its use. Mine has never been accidentally pulled off. I dont know if she figured out why it ripped...I do like the more finished look & may one day do the same. ..for now so I dont have to look at velcro strips, I leave it up & the panels just part when I am putting up or taking down.

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 07-02-2013, 08:47 AM   #38
Mostly Harmless

There may be a problem with mounting the MM as I did: if you're tall and broad of shoulder, you pretty much fill the doorway. Thus entering or leaving means you have to spread the mesh widest right where it's the least free to move--at the top. For me there's a feeling of pushing through something tight across my shoulders. So far it hasn't seemed to bother the mesh but I wonder if over time it'll cause it to tear.

So the over-the-pad attachment may be better. That allows extra fabric at the top, and also doesn't constrict it as much as when the mesh is held down by the pad at the top.

For now I'm concentrating on making a new habit for entering and leaving; one that involves turning the shoulders more sideways going through the screen.

Deb, the stripes in the mesh aren't useful at all as guides to straightness. There wasn't any attempt during manufacture, I think, to keep the stripes aligned with the edge banding. So they're just decorative rather than functional. It helped that I taped the whole unit to the floor as I was laying out the changes. I could fold over as much as I needed (by measurement, not by aligning with the stripes) without the thing squirming around too much.

Sewing wasn't a problem. I picked a stitch somewhat like a zigzag but a little more complicated and just zipped down the edge tapes. The seams aren't straight but the tape is wide enough that no one can see my sinuous sewing. Running out of thread in the bobbin was my biggest obstacle. Luckily the neighbor who loaned me the machine came over and showed me how to reload.
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 07-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #39

I was surprise that the opening with 2 panels is not wide enough. I have to bow before exiting my 1 panel MM, going in is not a problem. Here are pics to show how I roll the MM to a pouch for storing:

Name:	image-953454434.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	34426
Keeping the original length of the MM, the excess was perfect pouch to roll the MM into it.

Name:	image-596109765.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	34427
If you look at the top of the door frame, the Velcro is use to close the pouch.

Name:	image-588587496.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	34431
1 panel MM, I use electric tape to extend the strip of magnets with a strip of MM for the Velcro, no sewing required, maybe next time

I recommend the 1 panel MM for easy installation and storage. The only cutting I did was the strip of MM for the Velcro and joined by tape with the strip of magnets.

Also I wonder how long the MM will last after all that stretching on the top.

BTW Lee, good job on your MM project.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-4252567563.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	34428  
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #40

Lee what you describe with height makes sense. I am barely 5'4"and my friends (whose MM ripped) are much taller. The A Frame doorway is narrow any way its looked at...I always enter it sideways, my head and one shoulder leading the way in. LOL

1967 Newell Motorcoach