Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #1

Maiden Voyage of our new A122BH Hardside

Hello All!

We took our new A122BH Hardside on its maiden voyage this weekend and we were very pleased! We chose one of the most scenic areas of New Mexico for this journey and it was indeed beautiful. We spent the weekend in a remote area up near the Colorado border called the Valle Vidal, fly fishing in the Rio Costilla. Here are a few pictures:

[IMG]http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s171/kixonrt66/015-10.jpg
[/IMG]

The camper performed especially well, staying completely dry inside during two hard rain sessions. It was actually chilly in the evenings and early morning and the furnace worked especially well. Although I have read several complaints about the matresses in this model, I found it to be acceptable. I think the addition of a memory foam matress topper will make it quite comfortable. The front rack on our model was very useful for transporting coolers, tables and other bulky items as long as they are strapped down well.
Overall our first experience was very positive except for the fridge. It did work but it took most of the weekend to cool down in Propane mode.

Our next journey is planned for later this month up to Pagosa Springs, Colorado.

Enjoy!
Kix
Old 07-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kixonrt66 View Post
Hello All!

We took our new A122BH Hardside on its maiden voyage this weekend and we were very pleased!

Overall our first experience was very positive except for the fridge. It did work but it took most of the weekend to cool down in Propane mode.

Enjoy!
Kix
Great pictures. I am envious!
I used to love fly fishing for trout. Not too many good streams here in Alabama.

I was just reading a thread on the Yahoo Aliner's group about a number of members having problems with their refrigerators at a recent rally.

It appeared, in their case, that the altitude affected the propane burner in their refrigerators. I don't much about that area (altitude, etc). However, you may want to visit that forum and go through the list. In higher altitudes there may be a need for a different burner "jet" or orifice. They also described "soot" build up as a result.

The only time I had problems with my unit was when I parked my camper with the refrigerator vents in direct sun all day (it was on 110v at the time.). The refrigerator struggled to keep items cold. It cooled perfectly at night. I am going to do a "fan" mod on it in the near future to help circulate air in the access area over the "fins" and hopefully keep it cooler in there.
DGrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
Threegeeks

That looks awesome! have fun!
U.S. Army Veterans
threegeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #4

Glad you had a good time and everything went well.
Great pics.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:27 PM   #5

BEAUTIFUL! I am putting this place on my short list to go see.
Tomscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:38 PM   #6

Valle Vidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomscat View Post
BEAUTIFUL! I am putting this place on my short list to go see.
Hello Tomscat!

Yes! You should go and see this wonderful area, it is spectacular! It is also quite remote...the place where I was camped is 15 miles up a dirt and gravel road. No phones, no internet service, no stores, the nearest gasoline is 17 miles away. No trailer amenities of any kind, no electricity, water, or toilet facilities. It is because we like to camp in this remote areas that we chose a smaller camper that we can get into these areas with. The reward is that because of the difficulty of getting there, the place is pristine. No trash, no full garbage cans, no garbage disposal facilities at all...you are required to haul your garbage out with you. The fines for not removing your garbage or even for littering are severe, in the multiple thousands of dollars!!!!Because of this there isn't so much as a gum wrapper or soda can to be seen, the place looks just like God made it. It is a great place indeed. Enjoy!

Kix
Old 07-09-2012, 11:39 PM   #7

Question... was this a campground or was this disperse camping?
Tomscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:33 AM   #8

Very nice! I also have a A122BH, my model is called 12 BH but whatever. I love my unit too, and I too had issues with using propane for the fridge, does not keep the fridge cold. I have no problems with the "heated" mattress but it appears many have.
easydoesitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #9

Camping on the Rio Costilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomscat View Post
Question... was this a campground or was this disperse camping?
Hello Tomscat,

This is a fee camping area but there are no specified or numbered camp sites, just large meadows where you pick your own site. There are some rock fire rings where people have camped before but no specific sites so i guess it is disperse camping although I am not familiar with that term.

Kix

Tags
a122, a122bh