Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2022, 12:02 PM   #1

Major structual damage T12RBTH

I have a 2016 T12RBTH that I bought new in 2016. I backed into a large rock on the right rear. Not too much damage seen until I moved it. Then the L/R opened up at the seam an inch. On the drive to my next stop the interior started to come apart with the cabinets disconnecting from the wall. The right side wall piano hinges stripped away from the lower wall on the R/R. The R/S lower wall has come away from the floor by an inch so the door won't close. The whole thing is falling apart. From one fairly good whack on a rock?

Taking it in to an RV shoo for an insurance estimate. Not happy but is this unit really poorly made or could it be dependent on all 4 sides to be 100% in tack? Glad I kept the insurance after I paid it off.

Opinions please.

CowboyBarry
Cowboybarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 12:27 PM   #2
D W

Hard to comment without pics, but from what you described, the contact with the rock was enough to destroy the structural integrity of the unit. Accidents happen, that's why we have insurance.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 01:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboybarry View Post
I have a 2016 T12RBTH that I bought new in 2016. I backed into a large rock on the right rear. Not too much damage seen until I moved it. Then the L/R opened up at the seam an inch. On the drive to my next stop the interior started to come apart with the cabinets disconnecting from the wall. The right side wall piano hinges stripped away from the lower wall on the R/R. The R/S lower wall has come away from the floor by an inch so the door won't close. The whole thing is falling apart. From one fairly good whack on a rock?

Taking it in to an RV shoo for an insurance estimate. Not happy but is this unit really poorly made or could it be dependent on all 4 sides to be 100% in tack? Glad I kept the insurance after I paid it off.

Opinions please.

CowboyBarry
From what I've observed of these A-frames (and for that matter, all RV's) is that they are very fragile and work as a complete system. In order to make them lightweight they chose materials that only work when the whole system is intact. No individual part of the system can carry the load alone. Disrupt one part of the system and the whole thing starts to come apart. These A-frames are like Pringle potato chips held together with hinges, brackets, etc...very weak overall. Only the connections that have a piece of plywood as a backup have any reasonable strength. I'm glad you had insurance since it could be an extensive repair to get everything back to original condition. I always wondered if they made some of the sides out of at least ˝ inch plywood bonded to some insulation with a thin exterior fiberglas coat where would the trailer weight end up? That would be a lot more durable! Good luck and send some pictures.
Old 01-18-2022, 02:05 PM   #4

Don't know much about those trailers but if it is laminated walls this is what you get. The strength is all in the wall itself and if the walls are not connected together in a stout fashion well then the weak point becomes at all those places where walls connect together.

Nearly all trailers and even up to $500K motor homes are built with laminated walls. Units that don't use laminated walls off the top of my head are Cedar Creek, Riverstone and Newmar Motorhomes.

At that weight it was built really cheaply but I'm with you we should be expecting more.
NJBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 12:25 PM   #5

Make sure you find a body shop with experience on your type of trailer. About 10 years ago I had work done in Tucson at a dealer with a separate body shop. Good work, but I know the place was sold and I have no idea if it is still open or still does a lot of body work. Good luck. I've been in your situation and eventually decided, after several attempts to get some major body work done near home in NJ, to trade the trailer for a new one.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 06:41 PM   #6
OYO

Sorry about your accident, it could happen so easily to any if us.

I've always worried about how to repair even a minor collision that caused not so minor damage.

Hopefully you'll be on the road by spring. Keep us posted.

Home is where you rAise the roof.

Craig
OYO is online now   Reply With Quote