Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2014, 09:04 AM   #1

Microwave door

My microwave door would always come unlatched while traveling, I even would take out the rotating plate and it still popped open. The other day while traveling it broke off and punched a hole in the linoleum. I would like to make forest river aware of this anyone have a contact number?Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1413468229.210625.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	626.4 KB
ID:	64838

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
dobieaframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:51 PM   #2

Bummer

Forest River Popup Group 574-642-2640

Forest River Warranty 574-389-4600

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:25 PM   #3

the door on my unit has always been a bit of an issue .. but i really dont use a microwave at all during the camping seasons ...
this has never happened to me .. however i am very aware of railroad crossings and major bumps int the road .. which could have caused this ...
however that being said ... the interior rotating plate would have smashed the micro door if it was ever if there was any major trauma ....

please put your model no. and year of your aframe .. so we can respond accordingly ..

d-mo
Old 10-16-2014, 04:38 PM   #4

We put a small pillow inside the microwave while travelling. It controls the movement of the rotating glass plate. Has worked well so far.
2015 Ford F250 4X4, 6.7 PSD
Pullrite Slider Hitch
jonandjolene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo View Post
the door on my unit has always been a bit of an issue .. but i really dont use a microwave at all during the camping seasons ...
this has never happened to me .. however i am very aware of railroad crossings and major bumps int the road .. which could have caused this ...
however that being said ... the interior rotating plate would have smashed the micro door if it was ever if there was any major trauma ....

please put your model no. and year of your aframe .. so we can respond accordingly ..

d-mo

2013 rockwood A124S I never used the microwave either I want to replace it with a toaster oven one day

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
dobieaframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:37 PM   #6

Wow - sorry that happened to you, Dobe! I travel with no thought to the rotating plate and no problem. Maybe I have a different microwave?

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:36 PM   #7

We hardly use the micro either, maybe twice in the last year. Store glass plate outside micro. Noticed door on micro was dragging but couldn't figure out why, until the last trip when the micro became disconnected from the cabinet. Upon investigation, the micro was no longer connected to the face plate and when we pulled it out, the shelf the micro sits on had drilled holes into the wall of the trailer with the rear screws. Guessing micro gradually worked its way loose from metal frame and then rattled on the shelf and shook the screws out of the wall. Fix? New screws for micro frame since the ones that dropped to the bottom of the cabinet had stripped out. Put new screws in the back of the shelf and added additional screws to the sides of the shelf. Added foam feet to the bottom of the micro to sit on the shelf a little higher and not put so much stress on the screws holding the micro in the metal frame.
47 Nights
20 Sites
6655 Miles
Carla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 01:07 PM   #8

We used to take the plate out but now just wrap it in a towel. It has a good latch and we have not had any problems with it. Other cabinets, though, needed baby proof locks.
RichardEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 01:38 PM   #9

Yep. Very common problem. I too take my glass center plate out as well. I learned pretty much how you did. Hahhaa. I think we all learn that way.

Not much you can do about it other than to bring it back to the dealer and have them reattach the door for you.

Good luck,

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 02:23 PM   #10

We use a short bungee cord to secure the door. (Just hook into grate on top and bottom.). No more problems.
DGrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:54 AM   #11

When emptying the camper after arriving home yesterday, I found the glass tray on the floor. A first time for me to have it out of the microwave.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 10-21-2014, 08:50 PM   #12
World Traveler Member

Mircowave

The first day I brought my trailer home I found the glass plate on the floor and put it back and the next stop I found it again on the floor. Since then I put a couple of rolls of paper towels and make sure it tight and no problems since. But, After my first and second trip I found the microwave pulled out the side frame screws and I ended up replacing the screws and duct taping them on to keep them from coming out again and I added a small board just behind the microwave to keep it from moving back in side.

My is a new 2014 unit and Forest River should do a better job at mounting it.
abdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdiver View Post
My is a new 2014 unit and Forest River should do a better job at mounting it.
I pulled the microwave yesterday to have a look and found problems with the screws on the right side. One was still there but had ripped the sheet metal side of the oven,. the other had just backed out and was found in the cabinet. It is really just plain bad engineering to use short screws in thin sheet metal to hold a heavy object. That oven needs to be bolted to the frame. It's like they give big bonuses for saving pennies.

I wonder how FR would tell the dealer to handle a warranty claim? Replace the over or use a bigger screw?

2012 Rockwood A122S

Tags
door