Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2021, 10:24 PM   #1

My A213HWOR has Arrived... After 6 Months!

Well, summer has come and gone and even though I was promised it would be here in May, then June, then definitely before August it's only fitting that it arrives just after Fall begins. I'm still stoked though and we're taking it out a few times regardless. It's the 2022 model as well so that's cool, though I don't see any big differences but a new decal design on the front and a little outdoor griddle instead of a little grill.

One thing I'm disappointed in though is some of the build quality. I was getting out of the front bed (that converts to dining) only to have one of the black rubber stops where the table sites rip right out. I took a peek under and the wood framing and the thinness of the wood panels as well as the light framing was bad but the worst part was each corner bracing and middle support stopped about an inch before the top. Now I'm no noob at cabinetry repair so I'll reinforce this but Rockwood should know better.

I suppose everyone deals with these kinds of problems with new campers and my issues are probably not even the worst or the last I'll find. Here's to the adventures though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0753.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	656.8 KB
ID:	263381   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0754.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	685.6 KB
ID:	263382   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0755.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	706.8 KB
ID:	263383  
Sculpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 10:47 PM   #2

In the first picture it looks like the toilet is in a box. They didn’t install it?
Capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 10:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capacitor View Post
In the first picture it looks like the toilet is in a box. They didn’t install it?
It's just a portable toilet. This model doesn't come with the toilet closet thing. A feature I did not want to deal with .
Old 09-24-2021, 11:48 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capacitor View Post
This thread is in the A-frame section and they come with portable toilets.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 01:57 PM   #5

You are lucky! I ordered mine over 8 months ago. Still waiting.
Gregq291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 08:23 PM   #6

With all the price increases going on, did you have to pay more than what you agreed on ???
Not being nosy, but just wondering.
Congrats on the new A frame.
Bill
Billk28078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:47 PM   #7

The more I keep Looking the more I keep finding issues with the cabinetry on this A-Frame! I went ahead and did through-bolts on all the plastic rests where the dining table and bedding go along with additional bracing and supports where it made sense. I gotta say, I'm very disappointed that this is the fit/finish that Rockwood allows.

Here is another prime example of poor workmanship/design. In the corner where one of the tables-rests sits, the wood frame connected to the side of the camper stops about 3/4" from the outer frame. If you put weight on the plastic table-rest the whole thing flexes about an inch outward. I have since fixed it with a larger piece of wood appropriately screwed and glued into place. I keep finding this stuff though. How is this OK?

Name:	IMG_0762.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	810.3 KB
ID:	263497

And here is a pic of one of my repairs. It's a little rough but it's strong and secure. I'll be installing some corner bracing too I ordered from Amazon. With that, I think it'll be tough enough for my family.

Name:	IMG_0763.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	802.4 KB
ID:	263498
Old 09-27-2021, 06:25 PM   #8

I've done similar upgrades on my A213HW. I'm a first time RV'er with my A213HW and I've learned these campers have poor quality and are very fragile. You better be good at fixing things yourself or have enough time and money to pay someone else to do it. I've seen similar issues on my A213HW but not as bad as what you are showing. I glued in several corner braces throughout all of the storage compartments to add some margin. I'll have to look at my table/bed cleats and think about the set up you added. It looks like a good modification. I've seen lots of things are not square, screws falling out in multiple places because they stripped them at the factory, the wrong brakes on one side of the axle, LED lights that failed, 3 roof lift actuators, sink faucet failure in under 12 months, mega soft spot in the oriented strand floor (no water leaks), lots of metal chips in all of the RTV around lights, CO/propane sensor failure in <3 years, and the list goes on. So many of these issues are so easy for the factory to address. Fortunately, I've been able to fix them all myself and for the most part enjoy camping through these COVID times. Good luck!
Old 09-29-2021, 05:18 PM   #9

If you think thats bad, crawl under the camper and see if any gaps between sides and floor. Hint u might need some steel wool and silicon n caulking, hint hint.
Also about 8 cans of undercoating spray cans wont hurt either.
Bill
Billk28078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 01:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billk28078 View Post
If you think thats bad, crawl under the camper and see if any gaps between sides and floor. Hint u might need some steel wool and silicon n caulking, hint hint.
Also about 8 cans of undercoating spray cans wont hurt either.
Bill
I haven't noticed any gaps yet but I'll keep an eye out.

I was actually thinking about insulated the bottom of the camper with some foam insulation boards instead of coating it. I just got done with a trip where we were camping in a primitive camp spot. We weren't running the furnace... well we tried but I forgot to run it at home to burn it in and it was unbearably stinky. Anyways, both nights it got just above freezing outside. We were cozy with several blankets but it could have been better. I think some additional insulation in the flooring would have helped a lot.