Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2015, 03:06 PM   #1

Need some helpful tips please!

Hi everyone, I am also new to this sight and need some helpful hints. I am a newbie to the whole owning a travel trailer thingy-ma-bob... lol.. I now own a 2012 A frame Rockwood premier and need some tips on the so called 3 min set up... do you have to level this thing to get the sides to go up and fit with the top? if so can I get leveling tips? ( I said I am new at this) the screw wont line up with the hole in the front pop up part.. any tips? also if I needed to have any parts is there an Aliner place close to Sarasota Florida? thanks for all helpful information.
cbreezie904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:33 PM   #2

Yes. It needs to be level first. You can use a standard level and place it across your a-frame (trailer hitch) to level from side to side or just measure the frame height on each side to determine how much the low side needs to be raised. Add blocks under the lower tire as needed. Chock the front and back of your wheels. From there... open the door and place the level directly on the floor running front to back. Raise or lower you hitch jack as necessary.

I'm not familiar enough with the Sarasota area, but you could probably do an internet search, or someone will be along shortly to recommend a dealer.

Have fun!!
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:42 PM   #3

Hey thanks for a speedy reply Yarome, I have been told to unhook the camper from the truck first then place the level on the back bumper from side to side and then on floor front to back. I have done this and the bubble is in the middle but for some reason the door side is not lining up correctly so I can latch it??? I did not Chock front and back of tires maybe thats what I am doing wrong.??
Old 06-12-2015, 03:50 PM   #4

That's probably the problem. If your rig isn't level your frame can "tweak" a bit so the rear bumper is not a reliable leveling point (providing it was square to the frame to begin with). The chocks won't make any difference in the leveling process though. Measuring is the most accurate, or using the level on the frame itself.

You might consider picking up a set of exterior mounted levels. If you go to amazon and type in "rv level" you can see all types. The main advantage is that they will tell how high or low you are at all 4 points at a glance.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:52 PM   #5

Well.. I take that back.. if the wheels were not chocked then it's "possible" that when you raised or lowered the jack there could have been "some" shifting that could throw you out of level.. but I can't imagine it would be much. Better safe than sorry.. chock front and back once your left to right is level.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbreezie904 View Post
I have been told to unhook the camper from the truck first then place the level on the back bumper from side to side
I need to slow down and read everything thoroughly.

Don't unhitch until your side to side is level. It makes driving your tires up onto blocks much easier.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:28 PM   #7

Thanks again for all your helpful advice Yarome, as you can tell I am very new at this stuff, I was a tent camper and graduated to the Aliner lol.. I love the concept. I will hook up the camper and try to level it before unhooking (side to side) tomorrow moring as it is storming here at this moment, I'll let you know how it works out... thanks again,
Old 06-13-2015, 02:03 AM   #8
Site Team

i'm confused.

do you have a Rockwood A-frame or an A-Liner?
those are two different manufacturers.

also, have you checked out the A-frame section here at FRF?
lots of very active owners there that can help.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 02:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
do you have a Rockwood A-frame or an A-Liner?
those are two different manufacturers.
Um.. now I'm confused When you are talking about leveling procedures and they are both single axle A-frames... the brand, make or model makes no difference.

He's new.. be nice.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:35 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
Um.. now I'm confused When you are talking about leveling procedures and they are both single axle A-frames... the brand, make or model makes no difference.

He's new.. be nice.
Well, he asked about A-liner parts place, for one thing.
He also said he'd graduated to an A-liner.
Therfore my confusion.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:22 AM   #11

You came to the right place to find advice. I have no further words of wisdom for your question, so I'll just say "Do as Yarome said". While you are waiting for the weather to clear, read the section of the forum for your particular style camper, then level side to side, then front to back. If I sound like a parrot, it's because he gave you good advice. Welcome to forums!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke
KateE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:54 AM   #12

Hi Yarome and bikendan, I just need to clarify a few things so here I go, I went from tent camping to a camper, I thought A liner or A frame was a term used in general for the style of the camper(my bad) but mine is a 2012 Forrest River Rockwood premier hard sided pop up, in all the paper work that I have on this it has no term as to A liner or A frame it just simply says hard sided pop up, so I am sorry for any confusion that I have caused. I have watched a lot of you tube videos on how to set this thing up and none say anything about leveling it first, even in the paper work that was provided it says nothing about leveling. I am learning and determined to get this because I love camping and I love this little camper style A frame, A liner or hard sided pop up. lol ... also for one last thing....ummmm.. I am a she not a he lol.... just my sister and myself both of us over 50 wanting to do a little bit of glamping lol... so any suggestions on how to get this thing together are helpful... thank you both and please keep giving me tips because I need them and I appreciate all the help I can get.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:14 AM   #13

(Foot in mouth) Sorry... Miss Breezie.

A-frame generally refers to the type of trailer. A-liner is an actual make, so an A-liner is an A-frame, but not vice versa. No harm no foul... we knew what you meant. You're would just be referred to as a "pop-up".

I think the industry (and us as well) kind of take it for granted that leveling prior to any other setup procedure is just a given first step no matter what you're pulling or pushing. Our bad...

It won't take but a few times setting up and it will be old hat. Never hesitate to ask questions. We've all been there and are happy to help in any way we can.

Most importantly..
Old 06-13-2015, 09:04 AM   #14

Thumbs up

Thanks Yarome, tis ok about the him thingy lol... I will not get to play with my camper until later this evening due to the storm we had late yesterday I have a tree laying on its side in my back yard ... I will get out there today late and play with my camper and Ill let you know how it works out lol...thanks again.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:09 PM   #15

Go to Wal-mart, RV dealer or some where that sells RV accessories and bye 2 RV leveling levels that you will place on the outside sides of your aframe at the driver side front corner after you get it level. They stick onto the outside of the aframe for future use.
Next, using a 2 ft. level or some kind of level, and with the aframe attached to the tow vehicle, unlatch the roof and raise it just enough to get the lower half of the door open, do not raise the roof any further. Place the 2 ft. level on the floor from side to side. If not level side to side use the proper amount of blocking under the tire on the lower side to get it level. This is done by moving the aframe back or forward using the towing vehicle to put the tire on the block. When it is level side to side chock front and back of both tires then unhook the tow vehicle and move it out of the way. Dont forget to unhook the electric cable, emergency tow chains and emergency aframe brake cable. Now place the level on the floor going front to back and adjust the tongue jack to level the aframe in this direction. Now that you have your Rockwood A-Frame level side to side and front to back stick your 2 outside permanent RV levels to the front driver side corner of the aframe, one on the side and the other on the front. Make sure you stick them on level, with the bubble right in the middle. Now you don’t need to pack around a 2 ft. level and leveling your aframe will be a lot easer by using most of the steeps above.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV level.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	79794   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 levels at front right corner.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	228.8 KB
ID:	79795  
2014 Tacoma 4x4
OutAndAbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 12:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbreezie904 View Post
Hi everyone, I am also new to this sight and need some helpful hints. I am a newbie to the whole owning a travel trailer thingy-ma-bob... lol.. I now own a 2012 A frame Rockwood premier and need some tips on the so called 3 min set up... do you have to level this thing to get the sides to go up and fit with the top? if so can I get leveling tips? ( I said I am new at this) the screw wont line up with the hole in the front pop up part.. any tips? also if I needed to have any parts is there an Aliner place close to Sarasota Florida? thanks for all helpful information.
Campbell Rv in Sarasota. Great people and real helpful
mudman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 02:41 PM   #17

Thumbs up

Thanks for the detailed message Outandabout! I did buy some of the levels you are talking about however I have not put them on the camper yet because I have not leveled it but I will put them on ASAP I am going to give it another try this afternoon when the sun starts setting because it is roasting out there right now... I do appreciate all the time and efforts everyone has give me... thanks again and I'll let you all know how it comes out this evening lol..
Old 06-13-2015, 04:00 PM   #18

If it appears the trailer is fairly level when i pull into my spot, i chock the tire and unhitch. Then level front to back and then side to side. I don't worry about having to hook back up to back onto blocks because I use the Bal leveler. Once level, then lower the stabilizers.

A couple weeknds ago I arrived as heavy rain hit. I managed to level front to back and raised the roof. It wasn't exactly level side to side but it was pouring rain, so I waited until the storm passed before breaking out the Bal.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1432936236706.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	369.6 KB
ID:	79805  

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:04 PM   #19

A Bal leveler is a great investment if you are like me and don't want to fool around with the back and forth fiddling of adding blocks for correct height to level.

Here's a a photo with the Bal hard at work on another trip. It slides under the tire and ratchets up to the needed height to get the trailer level. Best of all, the user can do it in one fell swoop, no in and out of the truck or backing skill required. Haha A fantastic tool for an A-Frame or Pop Up owner.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150501_145223.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	382.3 KB
ID:	79806  

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:39 PM   #20

+1 for the Bal. It levels and chocks. And is fast and easy to use with a portable drill to raise it on arrival and lower for departure.

I park the camper, insert the Bal leveler on the low side tire and the separate Bal chock on the high side. Unhitch and move the TV forward. Then level front to back then raise the low side if needed.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote