Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2016, 07:55 PM   #1

New 2016 A122 just got it home and already falling apart

I just picked up a new 2016 a frame, after about a 60 mile trip from the dealer to my house, I opened it up when I got home and began familiarizing myself with it,
I found a screw laying on the floor and a plastic trim plate sitting on the floor.
Not sure where the screw came from, found the plastic trim goes aroud the radio yet I'm unable to get it to reattach to the radio chassis. Next I went to attach the faceplate to the radio and the entire chassis where the faceplate attached to slid into the microwave cabinet about 3". I hope this isn't the begining of a trend of things falling apart on this thing. Seems ill have to pull the microwave out to try and figure out why the radio fell into the cabinet. I bought a new camper so I wouldn't have to work on fixing things...
Anyone have any experience with the Kenwood with removable faceplate and how the thing goes together?
il Padrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:30 PM   #2

After buying 11 new RV's, I can tell you that you're experiencing the same type of issues we've all dealt with. It's very normal to have to sort things out on new RV's, unfortunate yes, but true. Be a bit patient during your first few months of ownership, you'll get things sorted out like the rest of us did and have many years of happy times with friends and family.
Your radio should have 4-6 wood screws holding it to the wood surrounding it and the plastic trim piece simply snaps into place once the radio is secured to the wood frame.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:38 PM   #3

Thanks for the encouragement, I'll tackle it tomorrow during the day, hate to have to drive over 120 miles round trip back to the dealer for something I might be able to fix myself in just a few minutes.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino View Post
Thanks for the encouragement, I'll tackle it tomorrow during the day, hate to have to drive over 120 miles round trip back to the dealer for something I might be able to fix myself in just a few minutes.
There you go! You're one of us already!!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:48 PM   #5

Yup all typical! Minor stuff. Its all part of the experience lol. Do what you can yourself. Most of the time even if you have no mechanical ability you will do a better job than a dealer.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino View Post
Fixing yourself is EXACTLY what many of us here have had to accept. Yes it sucks but you will probably do a better job and will learn bit by bit how your camper works and is put together. You just might find that knowledge will get you out of a jam someday. Good luck.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:25 PM   #7
Site Team

Yep, expecting to not to have to fix things on a new RV is a fantasy.
How long was your PDI and did they show you that all the systems worked?
Don't worry, you'll find other things to have fixed.
Wait until the faucet clogs from construction debris or pieces of foam come flying out of the vents.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:05 PM   #8

When I picked up our 2015 Coachmen Leprechaun and was getting in to leave my salesman said "see you next month". I stopped and said, Do I have an appointment for something? He said "No, but you'll be back with all the things that need fixing." WOW!!! Even they know how poor the construction of these VERY expensive toys is!
Hoffwmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:26 PM   #9

Expect to find many more screws and pieces and dust and dirt when you pull the microwave to get at the back of the radio. My microwave removes with 4 screws - 3 of which were sitting on the shelf under the microwave when I went to remove it. One thread was stripped, and I replaced with a slightly bigger screw.

If worst comes to worst, the radio is a simple car unit. It can be easily replaced with a better radio and a more secure installation. Again, the back of the radio is accessed by pulling the microwave out. The microwave is also very standard. The only difference to a free-standing house microwave ($60 new) is the surrounding frame that mounts it into the cabinet.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
Next trip: Next week 8-9 days for the Utah 5
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:55 PM   #10

Broken stuff

Yesterday my wife and I did a 6 hr pdi on our new silverback. We found 35 items noted on the we owe sheet from the dealership. No one rushed us and we had one of their shop guys with us the whole time. Just turned 70 but I did a hands and knees inspection of the roof . Mostly cosmetic items such as crown molding not fit correctly . Did find 2 problems with roof and tall screw heads on slide outs that dealer will address . 35 item not uncommon if a thorough pdi is performed . Tech said not many new owners do the roof inspection. So I guess we will have ours in 2-3 weeks but we r in no hurry. We will do another inspection when complete . Dealership had no problem with us , like the tech said its your money and forest river pays shop rate to fix all defects . Pretty good experience!
litespan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 04:05 PM   #11

To the original poster...take it back to the dealer....later on in the year....july-aug. To have these fixed...

Warrenty..... self fixes in the first year or so....are not a great idea. ....keep the receipts
Old 04-15-2016, 05:50 PM   #12

Welcome to the world of "Boy they don't build these things very good"
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:30 PM   #13

I always look at the extra screws and parts as a repair kit !
Butch Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:38 PM   #14
Site Team

And suggest that you buy the 2nd year factory warranty.
It's only either $100 or $150.
Many dealers don't inform customers so they can push more expensive 3rd party warranties.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:05 PM   #15

fixed it wasn't as bad as I thought

Luckly the radio mounts to a plastic plate secured with 4 screws to the microwave cabinet, pulled the 4 screws, pulled the plastic plate and re attavhed the metal sleve more securily to the plastic plate, pulled the radio out of the sleve and reattached the trim plate back on to the radio, apparently the trim keeps the radio from falling into the sleve like it did. I also added some electrical tape to the plastic tabs to keep the trim plate more secure, if it vomes off again I'll reattack with some epoxy. All is well now that I spent a few hours checking operation of the various things like the sink, shower, fridge, A/C, stove, I'll have to
do a one night trial run camping in the driveway to run things.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:14 PM   #16

Even after all these "things" it is still a lot of fun.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a122