Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2013, 10:18 PM   #1

New A Frame Questions

We're picking up our new T12RB this Friday and thanks to this forum, we will be doing a series of mods right out of the gate. I have a few questions for the brain trust here:

1- Does a wiring and/or plumbing diagram come with the camper?

2- What is the part number of LED bulbs to replace the bulbs in the ceiling lights?

3- What is the footprint of the awning/screen room (L x W)?

4 - I'm assuming the camper will come with a crappy battery. Can someone recommend a quality replacement?

5- Most of our camping will be above 6500 ft. (Sierra Nevada) Any guess on the size of a generator I will need that will run the A/C at altitude?

6- The camper comes with a BBQ grill. Will this be worth keeping?

Thanks in advance to anyone with an opinion here. Can't wait to get our camper!
Mtbnutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:01 AM   #2

We pick up a T12RBST camper to day

1- Does a wiring and/or plumbing diagram come with the camper?

No The plumbing is so simple it is easy to trace, An Ele. Schematic would be nice.

4 - I'm assuming the camper will come with a crappy battery. Can someone recommend a quality replacement?

I think the only major difference between a crappy and good battery is how long they will last. So you should be good for a year at least. I liked crappy battery. I just replace more often. This is an area that you will find a lot of people will disagreement with me. I feel my new replacement crappy battery at year 3 will perform better than the 3 year old great battery that is still going strong.

6- The camper comes with a BBQ grill. Will this be worth keeping?

Have not used it yet but it looks like a good BQ. Time will tell
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:32 AM   #3

2 - LED type 921

3 - It is the same length as the camper minus the storage box if you got it. So that is 12 feet and it comes out about the same width as the trailer width, so 7 feet.

4 - I have gone a whole weekend using the furnace (Colder nights) and had no problem. Still about 80% left on the battery.

5 - From my reading I understand that you will need a minimum 2000 watt (Honda/Yamaha) at sea level. I would say go with the 2400 watt tri-fuel Yamaha. Then you can run it off your propane tanks (20lb tank you can get up to 44 hours). EF2400is

6 - The BBQ that comes with it in my opinion is ok. Only 10,000 btu I believe so it is enough to do hamburgers, hot dogs etc. After less than a year of use (10 camping trips) the heat deflector is almost all the way off. I have already replaced mine with a Camp Chef Pro 60 (Griddle/Pro BBQ Box) which has two 30,000 btu burners.
rkuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #4

1A,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll just wring out the wiring system and create my own schematic.

Enjoy your new camper!
Old 08-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkuffler View Post
2 - LED type 921

3 - It is the same length as the camper minus the storage box if you got it. So that is 12 feet and it comes out about the same width as the trailer width, so 7 feet.

4 - I have gone a whole weekend using the furnace (Colder nights) and had no problem. Still about 80% left on the battery.

5 - From my reading I understand that you will need a minimum 2000 watt (Honda/Yamaha) at sea level. I would say go with the 2400 watt tri-fuel Yamaha. Then you can run it off your propane tanks (20lb tank you can get up to 44 hours). EF2400is

6 - The BBQ that comes with it in my opinion is ok. Only 10,000 btu I believe so it is enough to do hamburgers, hot dogs etc. After less than a year of use (10 camping trips) the heat deflector is almost all the way off. I have already replaced mine with a Camp Chef Pro 60 (Griddle/Pro BBQ Box) which has two 30,000 btu burners.
Rkuffler,

Would a type 921 look like this - 2pc T10 194 168 W5W 921 White Bulb 24 1210SMD LED White Leds DIY T241WY2P | eBay

That Yamaha looks interesting but is not cheap.

I wonder if the 10K heat on the BBQ is enough. I'll have to ask my wife. If not we'll be looking at alternatives. We'd also like to get a propane hose extension to locate the BBQ out from under the awning when it is set up. With the awning 7 x 12, I'm thinking a 12' or 15' extension should work.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbnutty View Post
Rkuffler,

Would a type 921 look like this - 2pc T10 194 168 W5W 921 White Bulb 24 1210SMD LED White Leds DIY T241WY2P | eBay

That Yamaha looks interesting but is not cheap.

I wonder if the 10K heat on the BBQ is enough. I'll have to ask my wife. If not we'll be looking at alternatives. We'd also like to get a propane hose extension to locate the BBQ out from under the awning when it is set up. With the awning 7 x 12, I'm thinking a 12' or 15' extension should work.

Something more like this... More of a barrel type. The one you listed would probably work as well. http://www.carpartslights.com/images...P056-T10-1.jpg

The Yamaha may be expensive, but a lot of the cheaper units are either too loud (not inverter style) or will not run the A/C. You are stuck with either two smaller units that have parallel capability or one larger. When you get into the 2400/3000 watt inverter generators they are not cheap. Only reason I recommend the tri-fuel is then you can hook to your propane tanks and also you don't have to carry gasoline around with you.

I went with the Camp Chef Pro 60 as I said and got a hose from a hose fitting place. I was going to go with a 10' or 15'. All they had was a 25' and I am glad I went with the 25' as it gives me more flexibility. 10' would not be long enough for sure imo.
rkuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #7

The RV Que that comes with the camper is serviceable, it's not amazing. If you are a grill aficionado you will likely be disappointed.

Having said that, we still use ours as its not broken and I'm not ready to invest in a camp chef or deal with lugging it around.

A few tips.
1. The little screws all over the RV Que will tend to unscrew themselves in transit, locktite them or keep and eye on tightness
2. Using heavy wire snips, cut off the top rack of the grill, it's useless and gives you more space on the main grill area.
3. We use a pre-seasoned, double sided cast iron grill/griddle that fits the rv que perfectly, makes eggs and bacon in the griddle easy and steak on the grill side easy and there is virtually No cleanup of the rv que itself... And the cast iron grill/griddle is much easier to clean. This makes everything less greasy and smelly when you eventually have to stow the grill back inside the cargo compartment.

Many people seem to use the road trips and portables from either Coleman or weber. If it were me and I wanted something with high output I'd get a camp chef, probably a smaller one I could put on the picnic table and just detach one of the propane tanks from the tongue for its use.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:01 PM   #8

We use the BBQ all the time. Works great, cooks just fine. We have a 122 and love it. Just can't get out enough!

Gary & Linda S
Crowsnest Pass, Alberta
2020 RPod 195
Dodge Durango 3.6l AWD
Gary Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #9

We just got back from our first outing and now have used the BQ. I think Rawlus hit it on the head. I would add it does not have a ignitor. I hate BQ and this one has not change that. As is normal for me it went out about half way thru cooking some hamburgers, it seem when I get within 20 feet of a BQ it will go out. It may have been wind or air in the line not sure but the wind was light. On the plus side slow cooked burgers are good.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:41 PM   #10

Regarding the battery- we are into our 3rd season camping with our A 126 is the battery is still going strong.
Regarding the grill- have not used it- stored in up in the garage to get it out of the way.
Regarding electric schematic- ours did come with a wiring diagram of the breaker/converter stuff.
NWishome is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame, a-frame