Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2013, 10:27 PM   #61

A Kobo Glo and a campfire ... go hand in hand ... plus a nice sippin' single malt.

d-mo
Old 01-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post
Unless they've changed the hub type, yours should have a flat black plastic disk in the center of the hub cover. Pry that off carefully and you'll see a soft rubber like cover on the hub itself. Pull that off and there's a grease fitting inside. Don't put too much grease in there; I filled the hub and a few thousand miles later found I had no brakes. Unfortunately I was in mountainous territory at the time. What happened was the grease had pushed through the hub's grease seals and gotten inside the brake drum. Luckily our truck had enough braking power to keep us from flying on the curves. Some $250 later a repair shop in Alaska fixed the problem.
Just put a squeeze or two in your hub (assuming you're using a manual grease gun). Check your owners manual for the hubs to find the kind of grease to use--very important.
D-mo's comment made me remember to caution you to have enough air in your tires. My 13" tires want 65 pounds but yours may be different. There should be a sticker on the side of your unit giving tire pressure info.
Had the RV service guy here check the grease for me today, said it was great, but, I would have had to have taken the wheels off to grease them.....I woulda thought just a fitting to grease once i popped the cap, also.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:17 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
Does your TV have a DVD slot? If so, take some movies with you. Maybe the Netflix thing would work for you? If no DVD slot, then take a VCR and a supply of pre-recorded "tapes" and you'll be prepared if you can't get over air TV reception.

We rigged up "rabbit ears" and some places it worked and other places it did not. We had along taken some movies to "zone out" on before bedtime, just in case the antenna didn't work.

Staying at campgrounds with cable TV hookup is another choice...or, if all else fails, you can read a book

Your on board CD/radio should provide local and some National news.

Deb
Good tips Deb, thanks ! Picked up a Rayzar antenna for the tv today, picked up quite a few boston and providence and boston channels from my driveway and i am 50-60 miles away from those cites.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:18 PM   #64

Now to try to get a front end alignment on my new pickup, groannnn.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #65

good news, the toyota dealership is going to try to squeeze me in today, i might be headed to florida in the morning, afterall!!! I better pack today, in case, !! going to try to go light on the supplies, like no food and consumables, i can buy that stuff down south. *Excited*
Old 01-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #66
Mostly Harmless

I hope it's nothing serious, just a quick alignment perhaps, then home to hitch up.
I'm a bit envious. Be sure to update us every chance you get.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:54 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post
I hope it's nothing serious, just a quick alignment perhaps, then home to hitch up.
I'm a bit envious. Be sure to update us every chance you get.
YAY, alignment done! Just picked up my truck, its driving straight again!!

Heading out first thing in the morning !

Hoping to make it to the Carlisle Flying J's on 84 in Pa. by dark tomorrow.... 495N to 90w to 84S to 81S, its 471 miles.

Got my laptop, if i have internet access at the Flyin J's, I will update tomorrow !

My route tomorrow .

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=0...,2,3,4&t=m&z=9
Old 01-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #68

Good luck on your trip and get away from this cold and snow!!
Wally
Old 01-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #69

haha, thanks Wally !
Old 01-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #70
Flagstaff 22FBS

Whoa, that's a lot of single driver miles!
Stay safe and
Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #71
DDC

We're right behind you, leave on Sunday morning down I75 will stop in lexington area first night, this I hope will get us below the snow area.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:21 PM   #72

Quote:
Whoa, that's a lot of single driver miles!
Stay safe and
Deb
I drive alone to camp in northern maine, 400 miles, routinely....so, this will be ok, i think..........but, if i get tired, i will just pull over, or nap, then drive some more.........no need to push it, i'm retired now ! Not planning on driving after dark either !

then again, the best laid plans...........

thanks for all your help everyone, will keep in touch...when i have internet access !
Old 01-25-2013, 09:24 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
We're right behind you, leave on Sunday morning down I75 will stop in lexington area first night, this I hope will get us below the snow area.
Have a safe trip, sounds like you will be just ahead of me....not sure where I am headed first, maybe a few days in the panhandle....maybe to see the niece in orlando, not sure....(the perfect vacation)
Old 01-25-2013, 10:12 PM   #74
DDC

I'll be going 480 miles first leg and will be in the Ocala area on Wednesday staying at wilderness resort, going to be in Florida till mid March. You have a safe trip to.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:16 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
I'll be going 480 miles first leg and will be in the Ocala area on Wednesday staying at wilderness resort, going to be in Florida till mid March. You have a safe trip to.
have a great trip, ya, 480 isn't bad........might see ya on the road !!

be safe
Old 01-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #76

Right behind you guys, sorta, leaving friday, stopping columbia sc first night 660 miles, then only 360 or so to st augustine on saturday morning, keep your eyes open for ROAMING "A" FRAMERS! Safe trip to you guys
2017 SUZUKI KINQQUAD 500 EPS
TRAVELINBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:53 PM   #77
Flagstaff 22FBS

I wanna go too

Ah well, since I can't go, I'll enjoy your posts. Have a great trip and soak up the sun and nice weather for me.

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
Old 01-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #78

Quote:
I wanna go too

Ah well, since I can't go, I'll enjoy your posts. Have a great trip and soak up the sun and nice weather for me.

Deb
Thank You,,,Will do---looking forward to grilling a few burgers and dogs, just for the fun, will keep you all posted if internet can be accessed!
2017 SUZUKI KINQQUAD 500 EPS
TRAVELINBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:21 PM   #79

Hey guys ! I am alive and in Wytheville, Virgina, about 40 miles south of Roanoke on I-81 ! Left Cape Cod at about 9:30 sat. morning........was sooooooo cold, and got a late start, and didn't sleep much the nite before since i was so excited.......so, pretty much on adrenline the whole day.........easy drive at first, up 495 to the mass pike down 84 to hartford.........then all those pain in the butt cities in ct......and ny was really hilly......i think being tired made it a tough driving day, but, fun still.......i think i got in only 350 miles on sat........stopped at a super walmart in wilkes barre pennsylvannia, on i-81, next to a big motorhome!...the furnace worked fine, but, was down to single digits (was 3 degrees when i got up at 4 am)........ , so, i kept the heat way down to 52, so the battery would last the long nite, as i was in bed by 8 pm !~ the mattress is pretty comfortable, btw. for some reason the furnace died during the nite, but, when i awoke, i have propane on the stove, and my lights worked, .........so, i checked the fuses, to see if one blew, and the first one i pulled looked ok, so, i put it back in, and the furnace came on ! no clue why !

Today was a better driving day, more rest helped........the shendenoah valley is gorgeous, mountains to the east, rolling farmlands, battlefields, smooth road.......bought a hand held cb radio at a pilot flyin j's to talk to the truckers, and returned it two hours later at another pilot flyin j's further south, since it worked horribly, lol.

wanted a site with electricity tonite to charge batteries, and found the Koa with my garmin gps. electicity, internet, cable tv (which didn't work, for some reason), and hot showers ~!......perfect spot too, at the junction of 77 and 81.....since i need to decide if i want to do the panhandle state parks, which means down 81 some more before cutting through alabama to the pandandle, orrrrrrrrrrrrr, south on 77 to charlotte then the coast to east and central florida..........still not sure yet,,,,,,,will sleep on it and decide in the morning........might have extra time in the morning to ponder, as freezing rain is due in the area over nite, and i won't drive on slick roads , ever ~!~

btw, the tacoma is towing the a122 fine, but, on the steep hills it downshifts, i take it easy, usually about 60, i am in NO rush !

i know, i forgot to take pics, my bad, maybe tomorrow !

Old 01-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #80
Flagstaff 22FBS

Be careful that your transmission doesn't over heat!
When pulling in hills/mountains take it out of overdrive (O) into regular drive (D). Your Tacoma probably was shifting in and out of overdrive and that done for an extended period can overheat the tranny!

Keep us posted, oh and one more thing: don't forget to check the lug nuts at least once on the way to FL and again on the way back home. A good time would be when you stop for lunch or during a "pit stop" break. (now say "yes Mother")

Stay safe
Deb

Tags
a122