RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
lotsip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cape Cod, Mass.
Posts: 223
New A122 owner on Cape Cod, headed to Florida soon, with lots of questions.

Picking up my new, '12 A122 Friday, can't wait! Then headed to Florida within a week or two after with my '12 Tacoma 4x4, access cab, v6, off road, w/ tow package.

I have so many questions, hope its ok to post all these questions in one message here.


1. Is it best to drive to Florida with no water in the camper, due to the cold up north?...i am gonna be in florida for like a month, give or take, so, i want water when i am there, for sure....made reservations for two weeks in february at Trimble Park near Mt. Dora, FL., they have electric and water hookups, only 17.50 a nite for over 55 seniors too!

2. I will probably just pull over and sleep at Walmarts or those truck stops along 95 or 81 , i assume they will let me spend the nite there with my A122?
And which route is best for me. 95 all the way, or, to avoid the northeast big cites, maybe take 495-84-81-77-95.?? The inland route is longer by a tad, but, avoids the CT to DC nitemare driving. I do understand the inland route has a greater risk of snow. What do u people think ?

3. What is the best RV solution for TV and internet, which i defintely need while there.......there is no cable tv or internet at Trimble park.......and I don't want to go really expensive here , so, i guess, the satellite dish route is out, so, i was thinking picking up like a tv from walmart with rabbitt ears, hopefully I can pick up some local stations in central florida, Trimble park is 30 miles nw of Orlando. WHat size tv works for you guys in ur Aseries campers? and will rabbitt ears get me at least a few channels?

4. For internet, since I don't have, or want, a cell phone with internet, i want to use my laptop......I was thinking a verizon jetpack to get 4g/3g,
no contract, which is what i want.....130 for the jetpack, 20 for an antenna for it, and 50 bucks for 5g/month,,,and 90 bucks for 10g/month.

Set Your Location

Expensive, so, idk.....;/ but, i need to pay bills and be entertained, damn, the internet is addictive !

5. How many amps do i need at the campground, I think they have 30 and 50 amp sites, is 30 enough to run everything ?

6. How long is the electical cable in my A122....i assume not too long, whats a smart length extension cord to buy for it, 25'/50' ?

7. Have to buy a white drinking water hose too, 25 or 50' ?

8. Want to buy a portable compressor for tires and to blow out the water lines before my trip back into the cold north. Any suggestions ?

Thanks guys, any help for this A-series newbie would be greatly appreciated!
lotsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
Member
 
64c10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: central ky
Posts: 42
to the group.
as for your ?. if there is water hook ups there, wait till get there.
the trailer is a 30 amp service. i think the power cable is 20 foot. i have never needed more that that. as for the white water hose personally that is mater of preference. i am sure others will help with your other questions.
__________________
2012 A122BH
TV1 2006 Honda Ridgeline
TV2 2014 Chevy 1500 Silverado Crew cab
64c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsip View Post
Picking up my new, '12 A122 Friday, can't wait! Then headed to Florida within a week or two after with my '12 Tacoma 4x4, access cab, v6, off road, w/ tow package.

I have so many questions, hope its ok to post all these questions in one message here.


1. Is it best to drive to Florida with no water in the camper, due to the cold up north?...i am gonna be in florida for like a month, give or take, so, i want water when i am there, for sure....made reservations for two weeks in february at Trimble Park near Mt. Dora, FL., they have electric and water hookups, only 17.50 a nite for over 55 seniors too!

2. I will probably just pull over and sleep at Walmarts or those truck stops along 95 or 81 , i assume they will let me spend the nite there with my A122?
And which route is best for me. 95 all the way, or, to avoid the northeast big cites, maybe take 495-84-81-77-95.?? The inland route is longer by a tad, but, avoids the CT to DC nitemare driving. I do understand the inland route has a greater risk of snow. What do u people think ?

3. What is the best RV solution for TV and internet, which i defintely need while there.......there is no cable tv or internet at Trimble park.......and I don't want to go really expensive here , so, i guess, the satellite dish route is out, so, i was thinking picking up like a tv from walmart with rabbitt ears, hopefully I can pick up some local stations in central florida, Trimble park is 30 miles nw of Orlando. WHat size tv works for you guys in ur Aseries campers? and will rabbitt ears get me at least a few channels?

4. For internet, since I don't have, or want, a cell phone with internet, i want to use my laptop......I was thinking a verizon jetpack to get 4g/3g,
no contract, which is what i want.....130 for the jetpack, 20 for an antenna for it, and 50 bucks for 5g/month,,,and 90 bucks for 10g/month.

Set Your Location

Expensive, so, idk.....;/ but, i need to pay bills and be entertained, damn, the internet is addictive !

5. How many amps do i need at the campground, I think they have 30 and 50 amp sites, is 30 enough to run everything ?

6. How long is the electical cable in my A122....i assume not too long, whats a smart length extension cord to buy for it, 25'/50' ?

7. Have to buy a white drinking water hose too, 25 or 50' ?

8. Want to buy a portable compressor for tires and to blow out the water lines before my trip back into the cold north. Any suggestions ?

Thanks guys, any help for this A-series newbie would be greatly appreciated!
if no tv suggest tailgater and pay per month service dish tv at dishformyrv.

no contracts. look at posts on tailgater on rvnet.

a122 probably has no more than 30 amp service. 50 amps will do you no good if the a122 is only good for 30.

compressors need power. do you have a generator. can get a 12 volt compresor but still need power


are you by yourself or is someone with you?


when i take the 95 route i leave on friday from springfield mass and stop somewheres just before the new jersey bridge into delaware. then i leave by 7am saturday morning. this way you can zip thru the delaware/washington/north virginia crunch. if done this way sat or sunday am it is a breeze.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
lotsip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cape Cod, Mass.
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64c10 View Post
to the group.
as for your ?. if there is water hook ups there, wait till get there.
the trailer is a 30 amp service. i think the power cable is 20 foot. i have never needed more that that. as for the white water hose personally that is mater of preference. i am sure others will help with your other questions.
yes, there is water, will probably just get 50' water hose.....the campground I have reservations for just told me on the phone the hookups are very close to where i will park my A122, but, i will be staying at other campgrounds on this trip and in the future.......probably will just get a good 25' extension cord at my local RV place. They also just told me there are 20 and 30 amp plugs on the site, so the 30 amp will be fine.
lotsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
lotsip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cape Cod, Mass.
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
if no tv suggest tailgater and pay per month service dish tv at dishformyrv.

no contracts. look at posts on tailgater on rvnet.

a122 probably has no more than 30 amp service. 50 amps will do you no good if the a122 is only good for 30.

compressors need power. do you have a generator. can get a 12 volt compresor but still need power


are you by yourself or is someone with you?


when i take the 95 route i leave on friday from springfield mass and stop somewheres just before the new jersey bridge into delaware. then i leave by 7am saturday morning. this way you can zip thru the delaware/washington/north virginia crunch. if done this way sat or sunday am it is a breeze.
SInce i may be only goin for a month, i may stick with local tv, the tailgater/dish cost doesn't make sense, at least for me, now.

Might just get a 12v compressor that plugs into my truck dash. That should be good enough for the tires and blowing out the water lines.

Well, going down alone, joining friends to fish in Mr. Dora, then after in the Bradenton/Ellenton area. At least thats my plan for now.

Yes, leaving on a friday or sat. morning makes sense for me too, however, from cape cod, rt. 95 between new haven and DC is not a fun drive, even on a weekend....after DC is a breeze on 95, granted.........so, i was thinking taking like 84 through danbury, and scranton pa.......then taking 81 south til DC, then picking up 95 from there......this would circumvent the big cities, but, does add about 100 miles to the total trip, thoughts ?
lotsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsip View Post
SInce i may be only goin for a month, i may stick with local tv, the tailgater/dish cost doesn't make sense, at least for me, now.

Might just get a 12v compressor that plugs into my truck dash. That should be good enough for the tires and blowing out the water lines.

Well, going down alone, joining friends to fish in Mr. Dora, then after in the Bradenton/Ellenton area. At least thats my plan for now.

Yes, leaving on a friday or sat. morning makes sense for me too, however, from cape cod, rt. 95 between new haven and DC is not a fun drive, even on a weekend....after DC is a breeze on 95, granted.........so, i was thinking taking like 84 through danbury, and scranton pa.......then taking 81 south til DC, then picking up 95 from there......this would circumvent the big cities, but, does add about 100 miles to the total trip, thoughts ?

the fact that it is just you and not spouse makes it tremendously easier. then when you FU something they won't be nagging at you.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
lotsip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cape Cod, Mass.
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
the fact that it is just you and not spouse makes it tremendously easier. then when you FU something they won't be nagging at you.
hahah, no kiddin!!!
lotsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #8
Member
 
TRAVELINBOB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: mountain top pa
Posts: 64
I leave for fla on 2/2, stopping in charlotte and then faver-dykes state park for a week before moving on further south and then west to pensecola area, first run for the 122bh, looking forward to some good fires and sweet silence.

I use the 81 to 77 to 26 to 95 route, find it easy and avoids the death trap that is balt./wash/richmond --- one accident can cause you a half day of travel,,,JMHO
__________________
-------------------
2016 BIGHORN 3760EL
2016 F150 SC ECO BOOST
2017 SUZUKI KINQQUAD 500 EPS
TRAVELINBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
lotsip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cape Cod, Mass.
Posts: 223
Sounds like a great trip.......I am thinking 81 to 77 to 26 to 95 also......how big a factor is january weather in this more westerly route though ? Here is what I am thinnking from Cape Cod to Florida......whatdya think ?

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...8069,33.464355
lotsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #10
Member
 
TRAVELINBOB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: mountain top pa
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsip View Post
Sounds like a great trip.......I am thinking 81 to 77 to 26 to 95 also......how big a factor is january weather in this more westerly route though ? Here is what I am thinnking from Cape Cod to Florida......whatdya think ?

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...8069,33.464355
I use the same route just start in NE Pa. I suggest to just pick your shots as we use to say, stay flexible going and coming, you are probably familiar with the pa. portion of the ride, no real mountains just some hills, on 77 you go over the blue ridge mts, as long as its a dry day all should be fine, I am leaving and returning within a 3 day (+-) both ways based on dry weather, there are a number of hotels on 77 if unexpected weather sets in, in Pa. if you get near Pittston, Pa for a stop,,,,, there is a new Walmart super right off 81 and another 15 miles down the road in Wilkes Barre both are fine for a quick overnight stop.

ps you probably already have it but in case there is a smart phone app, walmart locator
__________________
-------------------
2016 BIGHORN 3760EL
2016 F150 SC ECO BOOST
2017 SUZUKI KINQQUAD 500 EPS
TRAVELINBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
lotsip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cape Cod, Mass.
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELINBOB View Post
I use the same route just start in NE Pa. I suggest to just pick your shots as we use to say, stay flexible going and coming, you are probably familiar with the pa. portion of the ride, no real mountains just some hills, on 77 you go over the blue ridge mts, as long as its a dry day all should be fine, I am leaving and returning within a 3 day (+-) both ways based on dry weather, there are a number of hotels on 77 if unexpected weather sets in, in Pa. if you get near Pittston, Pa for a stop,,,,, there is a new Walmart super right off 81 and another 15 miles down the road in Wilkes Barre both are fine for a quick overnight stop.

ps you probably already have it but in case there is a smart phone app, walmart locator
Been almost 30 years since i did 81 , have been to florida a few times, but, never towing......so, i put up with the '95 lunacy... But, now retired and in no rush, but, with less tolerance for city traffic, my priorities have changed Last time I drove to Florida, 4 years ago, i was still working, i did it in two days, 1400 miles.....never again, ha........this trip will take me three days, at least, and, if i am smart enough to slow down, four ;p I was thinking of the Flyin J Truck Stops, their web site says all of their locations welcomes RV's to park overnite for free. The thing that bothers me about Walmarts, is I hear not ALL of em allow Rv's. With my luck, every walmart I'd stop at would tell me to keep drivin down the road, lol



Pilot Flying J
lotsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsip View Post
Been almost 30 years since i did 81 , have been to florida a few times, but, never towing......so, i put up with the '95 lunacy... But, now retired and in no rush, but, with less tolerance for city traffic, my priorities have changed Last time I drove to Florida, 4 years ago, i was still working, i did it in two days, 1400 miles.....never again, ha........this trip will take me three days, at least, and, if i am smart enough to slow down, four ;p I was thinking of the Flyin J Truck Stops, their web site says all of their locations welcomes RV's to park overnite for free. The thing that bothers me about Walmarts, is I hear not ALL of em allow Rv's. With my luck, every walmart I'd stop at would tell me to keep drivin down the road, lol



Pilot Flying J
i have a question. are you an experienced rv'er
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
lotsip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cape Cod, Mass.
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
i have a question. are you an experienced rv'er
Towed a popup cross country back in the 80's, camped all over, but, i wouldn't call myself really experienced, why.
lotsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsip View Post
Towed a popup cross country back in the 80's, camped all over, but, i wouldn't call myself really experienced, why.
it was because of some of the questions you asked earlier
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:01 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
lotsip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cape Cod, Mass.
Posts: 223
haha, ya, well, the popup and tents I camped in over the years never had all the creature comforts like electricity and hot water, etc
lotsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #16
Member
 
TRAVELINBOB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: mountain top pa
Posts: 64
Pilots flyin j's will work, best advice, keep her between the lines and plan based upon the weather, each week has a window, you just have to look for it, ENJOY!
__________________
-------------------
2016 BIGHORN 3760EL
2016 F150 SC ECO BOOST
2017 SUZUKI KINQQUAD 500 EPS
TRAVELINBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:49 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
lotsip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cape Cod, Mass.
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELINBOB View Post
Pilots flyin j's will work, best advice, keep her between the lines and plan based upon the weather, each week has a window, you just have to look for it, ENJOY!
will do, thanks for the help !
lotsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:38 PM   #18
Rockwood Premier A126
 
gregory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Rural Illinois
Posts: 336
Something else you may want to consider for your trip are hitch locks. Nothing will stop someone from stealing your stuff, but you might detour them with locks.

Here is an example of a keyed alike combo set for both tow vehicle insert and trailer hitch:
Master Lock 3794DAT Trailer Coupler and Hitch Pin Lock Set, Keyed Alike : Amazon.com : Automotive

Or one for just the trailer, this style as an example:
Amazon.com: Master Lock 605DAT Trailer Coupler Lock 2": Sports & Outdoors

or this style:
Master Lock 379ATPY Universal Trailer Coupler Lock : Amazon.com : Automotive

Plus one for the tow vehicle insert like this example:
Heininger 6011 Advantage SportsRack 2" Receiver Trailer Hitch Lock : Amazon.com : Automotive

Stay safe,
Deb
__________________
Deb & Gary
2007 Ford E150 cargo van, 2012 Rockwood Premier A126

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #19
Member
 
TRAVELINBOB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: mountain top pa
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
Something else you may want to consider for your trip are hitch locks. Nothing will stop someone from stealing your stuff, but you might detour them with locks.

Here is an example of a keyed alike combo set for both tow vehicle insert and trailer hitch:
Master Lock 3794DAT Trailer Coupler and Hitch Pin Lock Set, Keyed Alike : Amazon.com : Automotive

Or one for just the trailer, this style as an example:
Amazon.com: Master Lock 605DAT Trailer Coupler Lock 2": Sports & Outdoors

or this style:
Master Lock 379ATPY Universal Trailer Coupler Lock : Amazon.com : Automotive

Plus one for the tow vehicle insert like this example:
Heininger 6011 Advantage SportsRack 2" Receiver Trailer Hitch Lock : Amazon.com : Automotive

Stay safe,
Deb
Agree, wallyworld has a nice set at a reasonable price, 3 piece with hitch lock when parked! BOL
__________________
-------------------
2016 BIGHORN 3760EL
2016 F150 SC ECO BOOST
2017 SUZUKI KINQQUAD 500 EPS
TRAVELINBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
lotsip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cape Cod, Mass.
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
Something else you may want to consider for your trip are hitch locks. Nothing will stop someone from stealing your stuff, but you might detour them with locks.

Here is an example of a keyed alike combo set for both tow vehicle insert and trailer hitch:
Master Lock 3794DAT Trailer Coupler and Hitch Pin Lock Set, Keyed Alike : Amazon.com : Automotive

Or one for just the trailer, this style as an example:
Amazon.com: Master Lock 605DAT Trailer Coupler Lock 2": Sports & Outdoors

or this style:
Master Lock 379ATPY Universal Trailer Coupler Lock : Amazon.com : Automotive

Plus one for the tow vehicle insert like this example:
Heininger 6011 Advantage SportsRack 2" Receiver Trailer Hitch Lock : Amazon.com : Automotive

Stay safe,
Deb
Thanks Deb......I def. need to lock my hitch pin to the truck receiver !......For the trailer hitch to the ball, I usually just use a regular Master Lock, is that ok ?
lotsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
a122

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54 PM.