Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #1

New Owner of A128S

Hello all. Wanted to introduce myself and say I am happy to be a part of this new family. I just took delivery of my A128S last week and was successful in squeezing it in my RV parking space next to the house. Had about 3 to 4 inches clearance on both sides and got it in place myself so I was happy about that doing for the first time. A little nervous at first I must say.

I do have a few questions. This weekend I went through the procedure of flushing the water tank of the antifreeze and sanitizing. The dealer had flushed most of it but there was still some at the bottom of the tank. After I filled it with water and a little bleach and let sit for a few hours, I opened the drain valve and hot and cold faucet to flush the system. I kept the faucet open until practically no water came out and water stopped flowing from underneath. I removed the water filter and emptied. Did I do enough? I am concerned that there may still be some water left at the bottom of the tank as I noticed not all the antifreeze came out from just the drain valve being opened. My hope is that the pump got most or all of the water out. Do I need to do anything with the hot water heater section when draining? Am I harming the pump by running it with practically no flow of water going to it? I appreciate your help in advance of educating me.
azhandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #2

Welcome aboard and congratulations on your A128S. We got our A126 last month in September and will be heading out this upcoming weekend for the last outage of the year. Like you, we're still in the learning curb. We plan on storing the camper in our unheated garage. If anything it'll be out of the elements. As for the water pump, not knowing any better I ran it to drain the system on our first outing. I have heard never run the pump while hooked up to water. Later I realized that there is a drain on the water tank. Plan on experimenting with the hot water heater this time round.
We're constantly brainstorming on storage ideas. We are so looking forward to next years season and plan on camping at least once a month from April through November. Wish ya the best with your camper and again welcome aboard.
jmfpanzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #3

Welcome Azhandyman. I was a new owner this spring. I read this forum regularily. I 'm always picking up a piece of useful information. Welcome to the group!
GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
Mostly Harmless

Welcome! As a handyman you'll be a good addition to the group.

To answer about winterizing and dewinterizing, another important thing is to open the outside shower faucets and let the antifreeze run out of the shower head. For winterizing be sure to get antifreeze into the shower faucets and shower head.

I had the same question about running the pump without water. I looked up the info on my specific pump on the manufacturer's website. My pump (maybe the same as yours?) can be run dry without damage.

Your water heater may have been shipped empty and with the bypass piping set to bypass it. If so you shouldn't need to do anything to clean it. Ask your dealer if they filled it in order to test it, though. Mine didn't, but showed me where the bypass is and how to change it. The anode rod wasn't installed when I picked it up so it wouldn't have held water then anyway.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
Flagstaff 22FBS

This may be an unnecessary reminder but, to everyone, please do remember to use (the pink stuff) RV antifreeze in your water system, not automotive antifreeze!

Deb

ps, Oh yes, and a big welcome to our new member "azhandyman" as well!

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:45 PM   #6

Thank you all for the kind welcome. Being that I live near the Phoenix part of Arizona, I don't think I have to worry too much about winterizing. My main concern is that I get all the water out of the storage tank when not in use. The drain valve by itself does not get all the water out so I figured opening the faucets to start the pump would get most of it. If anyone has any additional input on this that would be great. And yes, being a handyman in Arizona now for over 12 years has taught me much. If anyone needs input on anything feel free to contact me and I would be glad to help. A week into owning the A128S and I am already looking for ways to customize it. We hope to do some camping with it for the first time down in Tucson after the holidays.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #7

Welcome! I hope you post your future trips. I have the 2012 A128S, got it 2 months ago. Like you I'm a newbie and posted my trips here and asked lots of questions. I got lots of tips and answers too. I search for more information in the forum to help or guide me. Use this to get detail information about Winterizing our rig:http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ing-29237.html

Do you know what they change in the 2013 A128S model?
Did you get a mp3 player as part of the entertainment console?

Did you get a door to the storage close to the AC? This is what mine looks like:
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1887719235.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	20952

The A128S is front heavy and the battery drains fast when using the furnace on a cold night if you are not hooked up. Check out the thread I started 2 months ago and it is still active, to get tips on how to get around this issues and others:http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ger-27602.html

Enjoy your new Rig!
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:19 PM   #8
Flagstaff 22FBS

Sounds great!

There are lots of cool mods on this forum to get those creative ideas flowing, like these very useful ones by thehamguy:

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:05 AM   #9

To Ko777 - I am not completely sure what has changed for the 2013 model. I think mostly cosmetic as far as I can tell. I had looked at some 2012 models first and when mine came in the first thing I noticed was the colors and fabrics were a little different. No door near the A/C but there is one on the opposite side but I am sure yours has that too. No MP3 player but you can hook one up to the existing system and there is a USB port as well as an SD card slot. I am not sure how this differs from the 2012 models as the dealer had taken the system out for theft reasons so I never saw one up close to compare. What would be nice is if it had an HDMI port so a tv can run through the system but I guess when you really think about it not that important. I will probably make some kind of mod there though. I would also like to add another floor light on the opposite end. The handyman thing is starting to take over!!! I found that I am not that crazy about the U shaped dinette area with that board folded up. Kind of uncomfortable to sit there. So I am keeping the board down with the cushion on top of it, added a few nice pillows and it becomes a nice little couch area. Looks a little more inviting this way and certainly more comfortable. This is as far as I have gotten in a week. Look forward to many more ideas. Right now it is just fun to go outside and sit in it and come up with ideas. I wish the newness of it would never wear off! Thank you.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:12 AM   #10

Congrats on the new camper and Welcome to the forum.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:53 PM   #11

Welcome to the group! I too am new to the group with a recent purchase. I found the table was awkward as well including the back support for the cushion (seemed like a waste of space and time). I too chose to leave table and back support down, much more inviting and cozy!
Angyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:18 PM   #12

Hello to Angyou. Welcome to the group as well. This weekend we started getting our gear together and getting our camper ready. I also removed the Anode rod in the water heater to drain the water out. I realized I did not have a 1 1/16" socket that it took. Now I do and it will stay in the camper. My daughter gave me a gift card to REI and I ordered some camping items I needed. We also reserved our first camping spot near the Catalina mountains in Tucson Arizona for January. Something to now look forward to after the holidays. It is now becoming a reality. Even the two dogs are getting excited. I know this is all pretty routine to all the seasoned campers out there. Can't wait to get that first trip in. I will certainly take some pictures and post them here. So far, everyone who has come by to see the camper ends up going inside and we sit and talk for at least an hour or so. Certainly brings people together. I love it!
Old 10-29-2012, 12:16 AM   #13

Sounds exciting! I am envious!! I was able to go out for one weekend in the trailer before the weather changed here in BC, Canada...a little teaser until spring. I have been spending much time familiarizing myself with the trailer and learning how to back it up not an easy feat but managing. I too took my two dogs camping the first night they were not sure but the second night we were all pros and loving it! I am so grateful to have come across this forum great knowledge for a lady who is learning the ropes!
Cheers!
Angyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:11 AM   #14

I know what you mean about backing up. I wish I had the ability to do it without getting out of my truck several times to check what is going on. In my case, I have an RV parking space next to my house. Under normal circumstances that would have been fine. However, over the years I built a shed on one side and added a spa on the other side. Before I ordered my A128S, I knew 85" was the width. Well, at the widest point, I had around 95". There is only one angle that will make it through this spot. I was very worried I would not be able to do it. You can imagine my joy when I was successful. Once in place, I have a lot of room around it to work on it so no problems there. Whew! I am jealous you were already out camping with it. It is going to be hard to wait another three months. I am already looking over how things are built and how wires have been run. I am planning on adding some additional floor lights and such. I was surprised that they did not put at least one additional floor light at the opposite end. I will be fixing that soon!!
Old 10-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko777 View Post
Welcome! I hope you post your future trips. I have the 2012 A128S, got it 2 months ago...

Did you get a mp3 player as part of the entertainment console?

Enjoy your new Rig!
Hey ko777... The 2012 CD/radio will play MP3's off the SD card. We use a cheap 4GB SDHC and load the songs using Windows Media Player (MP3 format). The search functions aren't worth messing with. We usually just select the random play until we get to a song/album we like - then deselect random. My wife loves the music!

It won't work with her iPhone. I think I remember testing it with my flash drive and it worked OK?. I haven't tried it with a DVD/CD data disk of MP3's yet.

azhandman,

I am glad you joined and welcome to the group! We love our A128S.

BTW, ko777 has posted some great suggestions on the forum - it's a good read!
DGrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrissom

Hey ko777... The 2012 CD/radio will play MP3's off the SD card. We use a cheap 4GB SDHC and load the songs using Windows Media Player (MP3 format). The search functions aren't worth messing with. We usually just select the random play until we get to a song/album we like - then deselect random. My wife loves the music!

It won't work with her iPhone. I think I remember testing it with my flash drive and it worked OK?. I haven't tried it with a DVD/CD data disk of MP3's yet.
What...did they install an old console on my 2012 A128S or you have a 2013? Please take a pic of your console showing off the SD card port. My rig is covered for the winter and cannot access inside to double check.

My iPod/TV via the ear phone to the aux port works fine, how are you connecting the iPhone?
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:53 AM   #17

Just wanted to give a quick update on some changes I made to my A128S over the weekend. I bought 4 blue LED recessed courtesy lights and installed them yesterday. I replaced the existing and only courtesy light under the coax jack with one, added one to the left corner side cabinet near the door entrance, added 2 over at the right bench seating. I am now happy with the mood lighting!! The next thing will be to put them on a dimmer and then add 2 double aircraft reading lights at each end over the sleeping areas on the ceiling. First thought was to replace the existing dome lights with them but now I may just add them instead. If anyone wants further information on what I have just done or what I am planning I am here to help.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:12 AM   #18
Mostly Harmless

Lighting mods are very popular; expect lots of interest. Please post photos and sources! We put some LED light strips along the top edges of the triangle walls last year and have been pleased with the ambience they create. But I'm thinking what you've done might bear repeating in my unit, especially the reading light idea. And a switch just inside the door to turn on the interior lights would be good too. Someone--Jeep4two, I think?--did that and I haven't got around to it yet. I always remember it at night when I'm entering the dark camper.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #19

I will take some pictures this evening and post to my album. I will be replacing the current switch next to the heating and A/C control with the dimmer. Have to order that yet and found one on Ebay for about half the cost. I find that the switch in this location is convenient enough for turning on lighting when first walking in, especially now that there are 4 lights with one right at the entrance. I am waiting for Black Friday sales to kick in on Amazon to hopefully save some money on the aircraft reading lights. So it may be awhile until I get some information and pictures posted for that. But I will soon follow up with documentation on what I have done so far.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #20

Pictures of new lights have been posted to my album. Lights were purchased from www.pilotlights.net. Model # RM-01B12. Will be working on a dimmer control next, then reading lights for the ceiling above sleeping areas. Will post pictures as projects get completed.

Tags
a128, a128s