Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2023, 02:56 PM   #1

New Rockwood A213HW

Greetings, new member here. I've found a lot of helpful info on this forum so decided to join this morning. My wife and I bought an A122 four years ago and decided we'd like to get a bigger unit, so the new A213HW is on order. We're both in our seventies, so the indoor toilet and not having to climb over each other during the night are important.

We found the A122 was great fun, easy to tow and easy to set up. We've taken it as far as New Mexico from Oregon twice now, about 1,500 miles each way.

I have a couple of questions about the new model. If you have a newer unit with the built in solar panel, does it charge the battery? I've been pretty happy with the solar panel I added using the "solar on the side" port so I'm hoping the new panel works the same way. FR on-line info is not clear on this.

The other question I have is about the linear actuator. Some of the new models I see at Midwest dealers seem to have gas struts in place of the power lift. I know this has been a real problem for people. Has anyone seen the new units? Has FR solved the power lift problem by getting rid of the power lift?

I look forward to being part of the forum.

Jeff Phillips
Eugene, Oregon
JeffP1249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 04:35 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum from MN.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 05:08 PM   #3

Welcome from Wisconsin.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 09:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffP1249 View Post
Greetings, new member here. I've found a lot of helpful info on this forum so decided to join this morning. My wife and I bought an A122 four years ago and decided we'd like to get a bigger unit, so the new A213HW is on order. We're both in our seventies, so the indoor toilet and not having to climb over each other during the night are important.

The other question I have is about the linear actuator. Some of the new models I see at Midwest dealers seem to have gas struts in place of the power lift. I know this has been a real problem for people. Has anyone seen the new units? Has FR solved the power lift problem by getting rid of the power lift?

Jeff Phillips
Eugene, Oregon
Jeff - we own a 2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame (same as Rockwood A213HW). Ours did not come with solar setup other than a plug on the front of the frame that the dealer wires up to the battery. No biggee, we prefer to camp in the shade, so no solar for us.

I replaced the power lift on ours with gas struts. Details are in this forum in another thread. Gas struts are much cheaper than the electric lift. My rear struts (the ones that count) are on their 2nd year with no issues. The electric lift would eventually get water in it because the motor has to be at the bottom end to connect to power.

Other noteworthy mods we made (detailed in threads on this forum):
  • converted locks on outside compartments to thumb latch keyed locks. Normally leave locks unlocked, and just open compartments using thumb latch. Cost about $75. No more looking for keys, yet can be locked while we are on the road, or camper is stored, or we are away from campsite.
  • installed duct to move forward outlet on Cool Cat to discharge at forward end of port bed instead of into aisle. Heats and cools a lot more evenly (duct and face plate supplied by dealer so he could use the photos of this mod as a dealer option for others buying this model A-frame, I think parts cost $15?).
  • got rid of folding legs under dinette table. Replaced with single post ($40?) and velcro on lip on forward wall. Table is still sturdy with more leg room and storage underneath table.
Enjoy your new A-frame. We made the same trade-up. Really enjoy the spacious feeling the dormer provides. We use the twin bed configuration with a partial filler so no crawling over each other. The extra storage allows us to store everything in the camper except a cooler we use for wine and sodas.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2022 Hyundai Palisade
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	big picture.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	284065   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb latch mod starboard dinette hatch.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	284066   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180916_114034.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	284067   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180916_144210.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	285.8 KB
ID:	284068   Click image for larger version

Name:	detailed before AC mod.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	385.8 KB
ID:	284069  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220912port rear strut.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	284070  
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 10:33 PM   #5

Thanks, Fred! Love the table mod. I'm really hoping the new trailer will come with the gas struts (so I don't have to add them myself!)
Old 02-20-2023, 12:53 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum.

The A122 we have is a tad (smile ; ) older . . .

Hoping that your new travel home is both more comfortable and as fun as your old a-frame. You've done some nice holiday trips.

Safe travels and enjoy!!

Cheers and greetings from a Toronto Canuck
Brandoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 01:17 PM   #7

Thanks for the welcome notes!

I've been a little confused by the info I've found on the web. Some of the early 2023 models of the A213HW seemed to have the 3-way refer that runs on propane as well as 120v and 12v DC. The new ones are 12v DC only. You can spot the difference by the fact that the outside vent for the refer is missing!

Got a note from Mitchell Dewitt at Forest River this morning. Mitchell says that the refer uses less than 1 amp while running.

I added my own 100W solar panel to my 2019 A122 and I've been very happy. While boondocking the solar panel typically tops off my battery in only 2-3 hours. I'm guessing the new "solar on board" system will still handle the added load of the 12v refer when I'm camping off grid. I'll report back when I have some actual tests to share. The propane powered refer's have been used on campers almost forever. We'll see how the new ones work soon enough!

Jeff
Old 02-22-2023, 04:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Some of the early 2023 models of the A213HW seemed to have the 3-way refer that runs on propane as well as 120v and 12v DC. The new ones are 12v DC only. You can spot the difference by the fact that the outside vent for the refer is missing!

Got a note from Mitchell Dewitt at Forest River this morning. Mitchell says that the refer uses less than 1 amp while running.
Model years in Forest River is a little different from automotive. There is an EARLY 2023 made in Spring of 2022. These will have NO differences from the last of the 2022 run, other than the VIN showing it is a 2023. These start showing on dealer lots in Summer of 2022.

The REAL 2023 - with the changes made for the 2023 model year, will start being delivered to dealers in Fall 2022.

I'm very skeptical of the 12V DC only fridges only drawing 1 amp when running. These are compressor fridge with a 12V DC powered compressor, and generally draw 4A+ when running for an average of 2A+ with a reasonable duty cycle. Forest River would have to have found a new motor/compressor combo that is specifically sized for the smaller fridge. And that might push the duty cycle higher.

I would make your dealer put an ammeter on the fridge with the compressor running. I suspect you are going to want 200 watts of solar, plus 200AH of battery for the more traditional 50AH+/day draw of the 12V compressor fridges.

Fred W
2022 Hyundai Palisade
Old 02-27-2023, 10:05 AM   #9

Those are nice locks. Care to share where you got them? I can't seem to find keyed ones with the thumb knob option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
Jeff - we own a 2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame (same as Rockwood A213HW). Ours did not come with solar setup other than a plug on the front of the frame that the dealer wires up to the battery. No biggee, we prefer to camp in the shade, so no solar for us.

I replaced the power lift on ours with gas struts. Details are in this forum in another thread. Gas struts are much cheaper than the electric lift. My rear struts (the ones that count) are on their 2nd year with no issues. The electric lift would eventually get water in it because the motor has to be at the bottom end to connect to power.

Other noteworthy mods we made (detailed in threads on this forum):
  • converted locks on outside compartments to thumb latch keyed locks. Normally leave locks unlocked, and just open compartments using thumb latch. Cost about $75. No more looking for keys, yet can be locked while we are on the road, or camper is stored, or we are away from campsite.
  • installed duct to move forward outlet on Cool Cat to discharge at forward end of port bed instead of into aisle. Heats and cools a lot more evenly (duct and face plate supplied by dealer so he could use the photos of this mod as a dealer option for others buying this model A-frame, I think parts cost $15?).
  • got rid of folding legs under dinette table. Replaced with single post ($40?) and velcro on lip on forward wall. Table is still sturdy with more leg room and storage underneath table.
Enjoy your new A-frame. We made the same trade-up. Really enjoy the spacious feeling the dormer provides. We use the twin bed configuration with a partial filler so no crawling over each other. The extra storage allows us to store everything in the camper except a cooler we use for wine and sodas.

Fred W
2022 Hyundai Palisade
Jdsullivan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 10:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsullivan21 View Post
Those are nice locks. Care to share where you got them? I can't seem to find keyed ones with the thumb knob option.
Here is the thread (https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...s-41517-7.html) where the thumb locks I used where discussed in detail. My post is #125. As you can see, I got the ideas from others before me.

Supplier was Wholesale 4 Inc. On page 5 of their cam locks at https://wholesale4inc.com/product-ca...-locks/page/5/. 7/8" locking thumb turn. I ordered with a phone call.

I did eventually get 2 finger pulls and a new outside shower (from Flagstaff parts) to match up the starboard side rear hatch and a pull for the shower door.

The outside shower is a single assembly from Flagstaff, including door, box, and faucets pre-assembled. Pulled the Pex hot and cold water pipes off the old box, put the new box in with new caulk, and reattached the pipes.

Fred W
2022 Hyundai Palisade
Old 03-03-2023, 01:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsullivan21 View Post

To add to Fred's post about the locks. I posted today with updated information about them:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...wo-261755.html
Old 03-08-2023, 04:46 PM   #12

Refer Power

My new trailer hasn't shipped yet, but I was able to ferret out some information on power consumption. I'll attach a note I sent to Mitchell Dewitt at FR customer service and his reply:

"Dear Mitchell,

Thank you for your reply. I would like more technical details if this is possible.

Last year we stayed for seven days at Dinosaur National Monument, no hook-ups. This kind of camping is common here in the West.

The Forest River interactive owners manual lists an Insignia 1.7 cu ft refer but does not disclose actual power consumption. Insignia website says their 1.7 cu ft refer consumes 245 Kilowatt Hours per year. That would be 671 watt hours per day so a 12V unit may well consume 56 amp hours per day. A typical 100W solar panel only puts out 30 amp hours on a sunny day.

At the time I placed my order for a Rockwood A213HW no one told me that the 3-way refer had been replaced with a 12V only refer. To this day many dealer sites continue to say the A213HW and A122S come with a 3-way refer."

Mitchell got back to me with this note from FR engineering:

"Hey Jeff,

I was waiting a response from our engineering team, I have included that below.

“We show in our testing that this fridge uses approx. 32amps per day once it’s cold and without being opened. Any use or change with food being placed inside would only increase that total. This panel will not offset the use of the fridge completely but with a fully charged 200amp hour battery you should be able to sustain power over the length of a long weekend. There is the ability to add a side solar panel that can maximize sun better, if you move it as the day goes, to help offset any power used if needed for longer camping trips.”

I hope that helps. Have a great day.

Thank you,

Mitch DeWitt"

I thought this information was worth sharing. I intend to get two 6V golf cart style batteries for my new trailer and I'll likely add some solar as well. Seems pretty clear the 88 AH group 27 Interstate battery that came with my A122 would not stand up to remote camping.

I also found information from Dometic. They claim their 1.7 cu ft 12V refer uses about 22 AH at 25*C and about 44 AH at 32*C (90*F). So an 88 AH 12V marine battery is good for about 1 day in the summertime.

Jeff
Old 03-08-2023, 07:15 PM   #13

I was wondering about the juice pull with the new reefers in the 2023 A213HW with the installed solar by FR. Thanks. (BTW, Fred was really close with his estimate of amp draw!)
Old 03-09-2023, 04:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoods View Post
I was wondering about the juice pull with the new reefers in the 2023 A213HW with the installed solar by FR. Thanks. (BTW, Fred was really close with his estimate of amp draw!)
I agree, Fred is a great resource person! I'm guessing that within a year or two these trailers will come with Lithium ready converters and have a Lithium Ready sticker to boast about it.
Old 03-14-2023, 09:18 PM   #15

Quote:
I agree, Fred is a great resource person! I'm guessing that within a year or two these trailers will come with Lithium ready converters and have a Lithium Ready sticker to boast about it.
I think the new models have AD (auto-detect) lithium ready converters/chargers which will charge lithium or lead acid with the correct charging profiles depending on what kind of battery it AD's. So, you should be in luck there if you want to go to LifePo4 lithium.
Old 03-15-2023, 11:22 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoods View Post
I think the new models have AD (auto-detect) lithium ready converters/chargers which will charge lithium or lead acid with the correct charging profiles depending on what kind of battery it AD's. So, you should be in luck there if you want to go to LifePo4 lithium.
I hope you're right. The nearest dealer with one in stock is over 100 miles so I can't just look inside and check. I'd expect this feature to be included in the ads.
Old 03-15-2023, 01:19 PM   #17

Mitchell Dewitt at Forest River confirms that the new trailers are shipping with the WF 8735-AD converters.
Old 04-27-2023, 10:52 AM   #18

A213HW Arrived!

Picked up my new A213HW last week, just about three months after putting down the deposit. The little sticker on the side says manufacture date was 01-23-23, so I'm guessing it was sitting outside for a couple months while the factory put together several units to complete an order. My local dealer in Junction City Oregon actually put 6 A-122S's and an A214HW up for sale the same week mine arrived. I don't know how they actually transport these across country, but I doubt it's one at a time.

The tech that did our orientation didn't really know how to raise and lower the roof now that there is no power lift. "I haven't seen one of these before" he explained. Factory includes a pole that fits a ball head near the lifting handle on the frame. The lifting handle on the front roof section, near the label that says "Lift Here to Lower Roof" is about 10 feet up in the air! I can raise the roof by myself. It comes with four 40lb. gas struts, one on each corner. I need to give a final push on each side to get the top to pop into place. Lowering the roof is more of a challenge. If my wife and I each use a pole to lift the front roof section a tad, the catch will release and the roof comes down OK. I have not figured out how I would lower the roof without my wife's help. Maybe I could do it by standing inside and push up on the front section with a push broom or boat hook.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jeff P. in Eugene, Oregon
Old 04-28-2023, 05:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Picked up my new A213HW last week, just about three months after putting down the deposit. The little sticker on the side says manufacture date was 01-23-23, so I'm guessing it was sitting outside for a couple months while the factory put together several units to complete an order. My local dealer in Junction City Oregon actually put 6 A-122S's and an A214HW up for sale the same week mine arrived.
You are correct, Forest River ships 5-6 A-frames on a trailer. Dealers who order fewer pay higher transportation costs, and get lower priority for production.

Quote:
The tech that did our orientation didn't really know how to raise and lower the roof now that there is no power lift. "I haven't seen one of these before" he explained. Factory includes a pole that fits a ball head near the lifting handle on the frame. The lifting handle on the front roof section, near the label that says "Lift Here to Lower Roof" is about 10 feet up in the air! I can raise the roof by myself. It comes with four 40lb. gas struts, one on each corner. I need to give a final push on each side to get the top to pop into place. Lowering the roof is more of a challenge. If my wife and I each use a pole to lift the front roof section a tad, the catch will release and the roof comes down OK. I have not figured out how I would lower the roof without my wife's help. Maybe I could do it by standing inside and push up on the front section with a push broom or boat hook.
I don't have the ball head, or the FR pole. I use an extendable boat hook with plastic covered tips ($35 at West Marine). To disengage, I simply pull down on the rear roof lift handle from the outside to pop out of the "latch" (very similar to what the electric roof lift did). Sometimes only one side releases so I go around to the other side with the boat hook, hook over the edge of the rear roof and pull the other side down, releasing the latch on both sides.

Same with going up, sometimes I have to push up on both sides to get the latch engaged.

The tech should be calling Forest River to learn how the pole and strut system is supposed to work (doing something about his lack of knowledge). Not a tech I would trust highly.

Fred W
2022 Hyundai Palisade
Old 04-28-2023, 07:52 AM   #20

Congratulations! I hope you enjoy your trailer.

I am looking forward to learning of your experiences over time with your newer version; with the DC/AC fridge, hand lifting and lowering the roof, and any other newer features I am not aware of.

Tags
rockwood