Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2018, 10:40 PM   #1

New to the A-Frame Society, with a newbie question.

First off, thanks so much for this forum, and I’m certain it will be invaluable to me as we find our way around these delightful little homes away from home. My son in law and I found our way home with our new, 2016 hold over 194HW. I believe it will enhance our summers quite well.

True to newbie form, I have to start with a question:

We picked up our new camper in Council Bluffs, Iowa, and drove back here to Nevada, Iowa, approximately 2 1/2 hours away. In traditional first time form, we had a bit of a tough start. A thunderstorm started up just to the east of Omaha/Council Bluffs, and it had the tenacious ability to both build in strength and follow us all the way home.

This was one of those gale force, wind driven rains. All four inches of it. It absolutely opened up.

We got home, and after it finally cleared up, I opened it up to take my wife through the processes, since she was unable to attend the walk through. I was a little frustrated to find that water had leaked in. It wasn’t anything catastrophic, as there was a small puddle of water on the counter top, the floor, and it had dampened one of the dinette cushions. I easily cleaned things up with a bath towel, and we left it up for a few hours to air out, before closing it back down to prepare for the next storm coming.

Is it normal for these units to leak under these conditions? It’s not a deal breaker by any means, but I was a little disappointed. Otherwise, I think that we’ll adapt to the new home pretty well.

Thoughts on the subject? Normal minor annoyance, or life changing event? Maybe somewhere in the middle?
jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 10:54 PM   #2

I owned an Aliner before my current camper. The only time it ever leaked was when I was traveling in the rain. Mine had three vents across the front and the rain water would go up the vent and drip over the seal area.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jame View Post
First off, thanks so much for this forum, and I’m certain it will be invaluable to me as we find our way around these delightful little homes away from home. My son in law and I found our way home with our new, 2016 hold over 194HW. I believe it will enhance our summers quite well.

True to newbie form, I have to start with a question:

We picked up our new camper in Council Bluffs, Iowa, and drove back here to Nevada, Iowa, approximately 2 1/2 hours away. In traditional first time form, we had a bit of a tough start. A thunderstorm started up just to the east of Omaha/Council Bluffs, and it had the tenacious ability to both build in strength and follow us all the way home.

This was one of those gale force, wind driven rains. All four inches of it. It absolutely opened up.

We got home, and after it finally cleared up, I opened it up to take my wife through the processes, since she was unable to attend the walk through. I was a little frustrated to find that water had leaked in. It wasn’t anything catastrophic, as there was a small puddle of water on the counter top, the floor, and it had dampened one of the dinette cushions. I easily cleaned things up with a bath towel, and we left it up for a few hours to air out, before closing it back down to prepare for the next storm coming.

Is it normal for these units to leak under these conditions? It’s not a deal breaker by any means, but I was a little disappointed. Otherwise, I think that we’ll adapt to the new home pretty well.

Thoughts on the subject? Normal minor annoyance, or life changing event? Maybe somewhere in the middle?
Since it is a 2016 the seals are probably dry/brittle/nonexistent. I would check all the seals especially around the side and roof hinges. The rubber seal on the roof and the different door seals. Check for cracks around the bubble windows as well. Rub the seals and window rubber with some 3m protectent.
MontyPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:03 AM   #4

It's possible the roof latches aren't as snug as they could be when closed down, there by not a tight seal. Water can definitely get inside if it were being pushed up and in such as with a power washer but with normal rain fall, it should not unless the seals are old or latches arent giving a snug closure.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:16 PM   #5

My unit leaked, while set up at a campsite, during a very strong T-storm where the rain was basically sideways. The leak came through the vents for the refrig. I ended up throwing a tarp over it until the storm was over. Not normal occurrence, just a fluke thing. I've gone through other storms perfectly dry. Could have been the direction of the wind, etc. I agree that you should check the seals, etc. but after that don't worry about it. Happy camping !
jncadventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:58 PM   #6

I agree with what everyone else said about checking seals and add... take it out sometime when you are expecting some good rain and see what happens! Take a tarp along with you in case it decides to leak from the roof peak so you can stay dry. Check everything from inside while it's raining.

Also check your front cargo box. I have heard of some people having rain wash in over the lip of the opening.
tlspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:47 PM   #7

The foam seal that runs across the roof section with the large skylight and seals between both roof sections in the down position is the first one to break down from sun damage.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a-frame, frame, newbie