Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2021, 02:28 PM   #1

Officially joined the Strut Group -

I mentioned putting on gas struts before, but my "use and remove" actuator was, and still is, working good and I got delayed. I am now retiring that actuator to reserve status, as I installed the 2 gas struts yesterday.

Oyo, Tex, Fred, and others have described their designs and methods, and I put pieces together and have posted 4 pics to show, although I have little to tell that has not already been told.

Of note though, I did mount the top brackets so that the ball mount pin is higher than the frame right angle.

The bottom mounts are shimmed out with a piece of poly plastic and I lucked out by using #12 screws into inside framing except for 2 screws.

They are 60 pounders, and at first rise I thought too powerful, but after some use are now very smooth. When I release the second clamp, they slowly and gracefully lift the roof panels and snap them into place. Surprisingly, it is almost like watching a magic show.

I have a 2012 A122, and different models and year changes have some variations. So new candidates contemplating doing something similar should do much research from prior postings.

Again, thank y'all, and Happy Camping!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	strutrd.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	251431   Click image for larger version

Name:	strutldd.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	251432   Click image for larger version

Name:	strutlu.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	251433   Click image for larger version

Name:	strutru.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	299.9 KB
ID:	251434  
mickrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:22 PM   #2

I will be going this route soon. My dealer should be replacing mine under warranty one last time before my warranty expires.

Ive been lurking on these threads and like all the replies and info.

Do you feel the walls are strong enough? I considered putting a larger back plate to help reinforce a larger area.

Thanks for the info
Slash0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 09:58 AM   #3

Awesome. The strut IMO is so much faster and easier and no drain on the battery. I too, waited to be sure of converting to struts because had to drill into sidewall. Easy Peasy, but can't undrill holes.