Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #1

Portable Generators

Well I found a place we would like to dry camp and having portable generator would be nice. Does anyone have any suggestion?
I have been looking at Honda EU 2000l Generator CARB compliant.
Please let me know what you think.
JoArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
Denver, CO

Honda's r great and the 2K will do everything except for AC. Yamerha's are good t, other cheaper alternative are out there now that may b fin for occasional use. Noisier tho, mostly. Remember that only 3dB more noise is TWICE as loud to your ears, so 60dB is twice as loud as 57dB. Quieter is gooder
Old 02-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoArt View Post
Well I found a place we would like to dry camp and having portable generator would be nice. Does anyone have any suggestion?
I have been looking at Honda EU 2000l Generator CARB compliant.
Please let me know what you think.
What's your intended use for the generater?

That gennie will barely run the the a/c if at all unless you parallel it with another honda
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:14 PM   #4
Site Team

first, Honda inverter generators are the gold standard in the industry. you really can't go wrong buying one.
but, you need to tell us what you want to run on it, what size is the a/c in whatever RV you have and how much do you want to spend.

a Honda 2000 will rarely run a newer 13.5k a/c. you'll need a bigger one or a second 2000 if you want to use the a/c.
if you want to run everything but the a/c, then the Honda 2000 is perfect.

since we live in Calif., where hardly any state parks has any hookups, dry camping is a way of life. we have two batteries and a Honda 2000.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #5

Generator

Has anyone heard about the Yamaha EF2000iS Inverter Generator performance?
It would be used for dry camping with our hardside trailer...I understand the a/c would be nice but not a deal breaker more my concern is lights and heater possibly and- now and then the microwave oven.
I sure appreciate folks comments.
JoArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:49 PM   #6

The Yamaha you are talking about will run all the things you mentioned. More than likely will not run the AC. I have had both Yamaha and Honda and they are equally good, can't go wrong with either one.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
Owner/Operator

I've been looking at both the Yamaha and the Honda. A thought that has come to mind:

The Honda 2000 parallel setup "normally" uses a Companion as one of the generators. If you often use only one of the generators, you would use the regular (not the Companion). That could put significantly more hours on the one generator.

The Yamaha uses two of the same 2000 units, and single use could be rotated between the two to maintain more even usage.

RodeoGeorge
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
Site Team

the Yamaha 2000 is as fine and dependable, as the Honda and will run the same things.
if you told us the size of your a/c, it might be one under 13.5k and it could be run by a 2000.

as far as the Honda Companion, it can be used the same way as the standard one. no advantage to either on its own. so you could rotate them also.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 02-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #9
Owner/Operator

Thanks Bikendan. I searched for info as to whether the Companion could be used on its own, and was not able to find anything. My thoughts were that possibly some of the control circuitry of the regular version was used when the Companion was connected in parallel.

Then on second thought (and I have a lot of them lately at age 70), since there are only the 3 parallel wires running between the two units, the Companion would have to be self controlled.

Looks like it's back to a coin toss.

Again, thanks for turning the light bulb on.

RodeoGeorge
Old 02-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #10
MC9

Go get one of those 3500 watt champions for 299.00 and run whatever you want. get the one with the rv plug and 220volt and use it for your house backup.
MC9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC9 View Post
Go get one of those 3500 watt champions for 299.00 and run whatever you want. get the one with the rv plug and 220volt and use it for your house backup.
To my knowledge that unit is very loud and would be very intrusive to other campers.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC9 View Post
totally unnecessary for an A-frame that wants just to run basic things and no a/c.

i seriously recommend you listen to one of these Champion open-frame generators, before you buy one.
i did and quickly decided that i wouldn't want to be camped next to someone running one.
that's why i ended up with a Honda 2000.
the Champion is a great generator for boondocking, home backup or motor races, but not for campgrounds.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #13

I had the opportunity to be setup near one of these champion gennerators once. It was quite a bit quieter than a briggs and stratton but being across the road and one site down I thought it was plenty loud during the night. I had my honda at the rear of our camper and could hardly hear it while hanging out next to the camper.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

You might want to look at this one.

Amazon.com: Champion Power Equipment 73536i 2,000 Watt 4-Stroke Gas Powered Portable Inverter Generator (CARB Compliant): Patio, Lawn & Garden

It is a Champion, 2000w, and 53db noise. You might just want to read some of the reviews on this inverter generator. For the money you could buy 3 or 4 of these compared to a Honda. I really don't have a dog in this hunt, but was just looking at comparisons.
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by awwall View Post

Amazon.com: Champion Power Equipment 73536i 2,000 Watt 4-Stroke Gas Powered Portable Inverter Generator (CARB Compliant): Patio, Lawn & Garden

It is a Champion, 2000w, and 53db noise. You might just want to read some of the reviews on this inverter generator. For the money you could buy 3 or 4 of these compared to a Honda. I really don't have a dog in this hunt, but was just looking at comparisons.
that's a good alternative and i heard that Champion just came out with a larger inverter generator. i read about it on RV.net but can't find any info by Googling.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #16
Owner/Operator

Quote:

The Champion looked very inviting. THEN I read some of the reviews. They were at both ends of the spectrum, but balanced in that there were at least as many negative and there were positive.

Fortunately, while price IS and issue, so is reliability, dependability, and service life. So it will probably be (2) of the Red or Blue 2000s. That in itself is a real tossup. Kind of like Fords and Chevys.

RodeoGeorge
Old 02-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
that's a good alternative and i heard that Champion just came out with a larger inverter generator. i read about it on RV.net but can't find any info by Googling.

This may be the one you saw

Amazon.com: Champion Power Equipment No.75531i Inverter Generator, 3100-watt: Patio, Lawn & Garden

3100w and 58db noise
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:02 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
yep, that's it!
it could be the new RV darling if it lives up to Champion's other products.
couldn't find it on Champion's website.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #19

Quote:

I like the price of this unit. Did anyone try this on our AFrame AC?
Will this be powerful enough to run a 10000 BTU AC?
Check this out in the NET, looks promising:

Now I have to find out where to buy this in Canada with free shipping.
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:10 AM   #20

I have one of these 43lb, 2000w, 53db Champions...its very quiet and runs the LED lights, the fridge, stereo, microwave, cool cat fan and heater BUT not the A/C. Thats ok by me, the fan keeps things cool enough when inside. Most of the time I am outside anyway, so A/C isnt critical...I open the vent and suck oit the heat with fantastic fan and use the cool cat fan to blow air around inside...it worked really well in 100 degree weather last summer when I had no hook ups, I was very glad I had my Champion. It's light weight and super quiet & got about 8+ hrs on econo mode before having to refill, 3 gallons of gas lasted me 3 days of use (still had gas in the can when I got home) - perfect for the weekend. Come to think of it, when I had my Jayco travel trailer, I cant recall ever using the A/C...again because we were outside more than in during the day.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote