Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2015, 08:06 PM   #1

Prince Edward Island

Thinking about heading up to PEI this August. Is it worth the trip and what should we do?
And where should we camp?
This past summer we went to glacier park and yellowstone so not sure where to go this summer.
Been told PEI is nice.
Droes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:53 AM   #2

Eat lobster purchased from the lobster fisherman, drive the entire island, and stay at Prince Edward Island National Park, do a church lobster dinner, and drink the local beer.

depending on where your coming from, i would stop in at Quebec City .. well worth the visit.

If you are really adventurous I would then drive the north side of the St. Lawrence river, rather than the south .. and enjoy the fjords, do some whale watching at Tadoussac cross over to the south side at Riviere du loup and head towards Gaspe ..and stay at Forillon National Park .. a gorgeous park with history and great views.

hey might as well do this if your in the area

enjoy .. been there a few times .. book early ..
Old 01-08-2015, 08:02 AM   #3

Me and the DW are planning a 2 week stint through Canada this year with a nice long stay at PE Island. On their web site to the right they have a nice visitors guide you can order. Going to the 1000 Islands, Montreal, PE Island then down through Maine and back to Western New York.

Tourism Prince Edward Island (PEI) - Canada - Official Guide
Old 01-12-2015, 06:16 PM   #4

My home

I was born on red soil. PEI is great in the summer, the Federal campgrounds are very good. It's been a couple of years, but I like Stanhope campground the best. You can access a free provincial beach across Tracadie Bay. Just as nice as the Federal campground beach. I don't know about a camper, but I always wanted to tent camp there. Golf, Seafood, great weather and scenery, what's not to like? Avoid "vacationland" campground, it's a cross between a reality show and a social experiment!
Old 04-22-2015, 06:57 PM   #5

We have been going to PEI for the past twenty five years so I can tell you it is a wonderful place to visit and camp! The island is bigger than you think so depending on how much time you plan on spending you may want to concentrate on a couple of sections of the island rather than trying to see the whole thing otherwise you just end up driving all day. The north shore is definitely a must and I love the eastern tip too. We love Cabot Beach for camping which is in Malpeque. All of the provincial parks are wonderful. Red Point has amazing views. Greenwich is gorgeous and don't miss Dalvay by the sea. You won't regret going to PEI!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
maminkagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:07 PM   #6

We were there last summer and loved a lot of the small communities. Victoria by the sea, Argyle Shores provincial park and Basin Head beach were some favourite places.
ontario_camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:24 PM   #7

If you are coming up I95 take the airplane highway to New Brunswick and spent a day or two at St. Andrews by the Sea. Take the Fundy Park route and visit the Flower Pots (Hopewell rocks) then continue on to PEI. I found that camping in the Cavendish area was a great spot to use as a base camp when touring the Island. There are several CG in this area including a Federal park.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:40 PM   #8

and if you're real lucky and he is not locked up yet, you might get a glance of the old duff. lol.

i was on the island a couple yrs ago, i was buying some lobster of the locals and the old duff showed up on the wharf.

but it is a beautiful place with lots of scenery.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:45 PM   #9

We also spent 1 night in St Andrews and went whale watching. Plan to go back so that we can spend more time there. Kiwanis Oceanfront camping was convenient to town, we actually didn't unhook and just rode our bikes (5 mins).
ontario_camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:46 PM   #10

We were there three years ago and stayed at the Sun N Shade campground. It was a decent place to stay and we used it as our base-camp for the week that we were there. As for the island, we thought it was a great place to visit. The food was good and there is a seafood (fish) market down the street from the campground.
kcjoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote