Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #1

Problem with SUSPA C16-08054

The SUSPA C16-08054 is a gas pressurize cylinder like you would find on a regular screen or storm door. In the T12RB it is attached by screws on the bottom of the rear bed and to the front side of the bed frame.

Yesterday I raised the rear bed to see the storage area underneath and the part in question expanded to support bed and allow access to the storage area. The problem is the cylinder would not contract and I was forced to unscrew the part to lower the bed again.

I have tried numerous times to get the cylinder to go back to its original state but to no avail. Another thought is the part may be defective and needs replaced
Any suggestions?
beyond-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
Site Team

You might could email or call the manufacturer. Their support email/number is located at the top right hand side of the following link.

Suspa Inc. Shopping Cart

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
Mod free 5er

It has a 100# rating, so it will be extremely hard to compress. May I suggest you put the cyl back on the moveable part and the other end on the floor and try to compress. You may have to anchor it closer to the hinge point of the moving part to make it easier to use.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

If under warranty you should call your dealer.

If not, they are very inexpensive.
Amazon.com: SUSPAŽ 100 LB Gas Spring/Prop/Strut/Shock (set of 2) C16-08054 **NEW**: Automotive
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
If under warranty you should call your dealer.

If not, they are very inexpensive.
Amazon.com: SUSPAŽ 100 LB Gas Spring/Prop/Strut/Shock (set of 2) C16-08054 **NEW**: Automotive
I emailed the salesman who i purchased the camper from and I am waiting for his reply. If I may, the salesman's name is Mike Yanni at Wilkins RV in Bath NY. I would not have my RV today if it wasn't for him.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

To expand on my previous post, sometimes the original anchor is not the ideal position for the struts and seem like they are stuck. Moving the fixed anchor point a few inches closer to the hinge will soften the closing effort. I moved both anchor points on my door and completely changed the dynamics of the strut from jerking the door and loosening the anchors to a smooth effortless opening and closing effort. Just saying it might be something for you to try.

A 100# strut is pretty strong and doubtful if you can compress it with it not anchored to something. Doing it by hand I think would be nearly impossible due to the size of the ends.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
To expand on my previous post, sometimes the original anchor is not the ideal position for the struts and seem like they are stuck. Moving the fixed anchor point a few inches closer to the hinge will soften the closing effort. I moved both anchor points on my door and completely changed the dynamics of the strut from jerking the door and loosening the anchors to a smooth effortless opening and closing effort. Just saying it might be something for you to try.

A 100# strut is pretty strong and doubtful if you can compress it with it not anchored to something. Doing it by hand I think would be nearly impossible due to the size of the ends.
That is a real good point.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
That is a real good point.
So it isn't broken at all? I removed the part because the screws became dislodge from the frame, thus not providing the support to close the mechanism.
I appreciate your advise
Old 08-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #9

I should take some effort to close. Not a forcefull,one time shove, just a steady increase in pressure until the cylinder starts to "collapse". Maybe two 50# struts would be better as there would be equal force on both sides, (l/r).
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond-there View Post
The SUSPA C16-08054 is a gas pressurize cylinder like you would find on a regular screen or storm door. In the T12RB it is attached by screws on the bottom of the rear bed and to the front side of the bed frame.

Yesterday I raised the rear bed to see the storage area underneath and the part in question expanded to support bed and allow access to the storage area. The problem is the cylinder would not contract and I was forced to unscrew the part to lower the bed again.

I have tried numerous times to get the cylinder to go back to its original state but to no avail. Another thought is the part may be defective and needs replaced
Any suggestions?
The same thing happened to me. I took it off and brought it to the dealers service department. I told him what the problem was, he looked at me like I didn't know what I was talking about. He tried to compress it and couldn't do it either. they didn't have a replacement there but sent it in and I got a replacement a week or two later and remounted it. I also used more and better screws as it wasn't mounted very well to begin with.
dansa122 is offline   Reply With Quote